Notices

Thought I could have a few

Old 06-24-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought I could have a few

I'd not drank for over a week. I thought I could go out with my colleagues , have a few drinks , go home.

I drank a **** tonne. When will I learn ?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you had a setback. Use this to strengthen you. It's very common for those of us early on to think well, maybe I can handle "a few". For those of us who have developed an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, it is just not possible. My advice: make it so much easier on yourself: Take alcohol completely off the table as an option. From now on, no more thinking, "well, maybe I can have just one." It will open the door to misery, no matter how much you try to fool yourself.

This is a beverage. You do not "need" it in your life. No one does. It has given you nothing but grief. Let it go.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
I'm so sorry you had a setback. Use this to strengthen you. It's very common for those of us early on to think well, maybe I can handle "a few". For those of us who have developed an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, it is just not possible. My advice: make it so much easier on yourself: Take alcohol completely off the table as an option. From now on, no more thinking, "well, maybe I can have just one." It will open the door to misery, no matter how much you try to fool yourself.

This is a beverage. You do not "need" it in your life. No one does. It has given you nothing but grief. Let it go.
Thanks. Great advice
Old 06-24-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Oneday04 View Post
I'd not drank for over a week. I thought I could go out with my colleagues , have a few drinks , go home.

Not sure when you'll "get it" but it starts with committing to sobriety. Total sobriety, as opposed to committing to drinking without the consequences of drinking.

As long as you think you can control your drinking, or as long as you believe your addiction when it tells you that you can handle a few, you'll continue to try.

With the same results.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Oneday. I am the exact same way. One drink triggers my obsession; suddenly I can’t think of anything else but getting more and more.

You’re posting here, which to me is a good sign that you’re intent on beginning real recovery! If you’re anything like me, moderation is impossible. The only solution is to cut it out completely. Do you feel ready to do that?

If so, you will have to change many things. It’s a bad idea to go out when others are drinking, particularly if they don’t know about your problem. I understand completely the temptation, but I realized I couldn’t control it when I felt a very real fear that I would embarrass myself in front of my boss when simply going to a casual happy hour. I thought, people who are not alcoholics wouldn’t worry; they simply would decide to have just a few and forget about it. Me? One drink is likely to lead me on a spiral into blackout land. Awful.

Don’t wait until something bad happens that will “force” you to learn. Act on your instincts now. Untreated alcoholism makes good, decent people do things like drive drunk, show up to events intoxicated, talk to their children while blacked out... if you don’t take the first drink, it won’t happen. Keep that in mind and reach out to others in your area who have been through it. You can do it!
Old 06-24-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oneday04 View Post

Maybe today?

Make it your last hangover. Make last night your last drink.

It's the first drink that gets you drunk and hungover.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

IME, when I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink because I didn't want to die at 40, 41 like the dr projected if I didn't stop THEN.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

I understand Oneday. I cannot moderate either. I would plan to have only 1 drink, then I would say, "Oh, maybe just one more.". After that ....well, we all know how that ends. It took me a few times to learn. I hope you're a quicker learner than I was. Drinking needs to come off the table.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Not sure when you'll "get it" but it starts with committing to sobriety. Total sobriety, as opposed to committing to drinking without the consequences of drinking.

As long as you think you can control your drinking, or as long as you believe your addiction when it tells you that you can handle a few, you'll continue to try.

With the same results.
Totally right. I have to commit to sobriety. Stop kidding myself.
Funny thing is I didn't even enjoy any of the drink.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. This is it now
Old 06-24-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Curious about the process.

Hey there guys,

So, this is just me ranting. I'm a binge drinker. I'm an alcoholic. This is out of discussion already.

Been that said, I have started in this horrible pattern to go to AA, I get sober for max three weeks and bam, back to square 1.

One of the worse things is that every time I relapse (If you could call it so because you don't really relapse until you have actually got sober), it's worse.

Yesterday I went to see a World Cup game. I was very conscious. At first I did not drink. Order a Sprite and a coffee. Then, after the game, my group decided to go for drinks. I decided. To drink and I was very aware that it was very wrong and did it anyway. I was fully aware of what I was doing.

This happens every three weeks, I'm I insane? I obviously have a terrible defect in my character. I think that hiding myself in my flat and not going out is not going to help. I'm on my late 20's and where I live, unfortunately, everything revolves around the night life.

How do I get passed these 3 weeks? Is it possible that maybe, I just can not get "cured", sober?

Tell me your experiences, it will be very helpful.