Notices

First Day - Again

Old 06-23-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day - Again

Hello all! First off, thanks to whomever for having this site. It's really helping me see my problems. I've been a heavy drinker for a while now. I think it started getting really bad in 2014 after I lost my job. Had a couple of others, and was let go again in October of last year from a management position that paid really well, and then things got really bad.

I've made some attempts to quit over that time span from then till now, but I really want to do it. Last night and the night before, I had two 18-packs of beer (one each night), and I woke up today wondering why I continue to do this to myself. So I went out and bought some stuff, cut my hair, took a shower and cleaned myself up. I'm feeling good about myself right now, but I know that won't last and I'll want to drink again.

How do you deal with cravings, and that urge to go out and get some? I think that's my biggest hurdle at this point.

Thank you for any and all who read this. I really appreciate the insight I've seen here over the past few days that I've been reading.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome JayHawk

There are some great ideas on cravings here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

and posting here instead can help you beat that urge to go out and get some booze. Post and stick around for responses - we're always open

Look forward to seeing you around

D
Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome.

Well, i found there was a point where no amount of alcohol could satisfy me. I had never been to that point in my life before until recently 56 days ago, i literally would of died if i kept going. THATS what stops me from going back to the store.

Another thing that stops me is there is just no point. Unless i can buy the whole store, there is NO POINT in buying ANY alcohol. I won't be satisfied and i will just go back to buy more, and more and more....and more.

I cannot stop myself once i start, so i just don't start, i Owe that to myself.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What helps for me is playing the tape forward.

Instead of focusing on the immediate and temporary buzz which the first couple of drinks gives. Which is what a craving is, you are just thinking about the positive affects of alcohol and forgetting all the bad stuff.

So I take a moment to think about where it ends. I'm not someone who can stop at 2 drinks. I'll have the whole bottle of wine, and maybe open a second. I'll feel groggy eventually. Black out possibly if I drink enough. I'll feel depressed and anxious the next day. I drink to get wasted. Sure there may be a fleeting couple of hours of drinking where I'm in a temporary state of bliss but it's just not worth it.

There isn't a single moment in life where you will regret not having a drink after the moment passes.

When I think about this it makes it really quite easy to not drink. Remember a craving is a natural part of recovery. They will get weaker and weaker the less you feed the monster inside. If you do feed the monster though, if only needs one drink for you to give it life again and it comes back stronger than before. Remember that.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Jay. Glad you're here. Though I have tried over the years, I cannot moderate either. Staying close to SR during your first several days will help with the initial cravings. I practically lived here for awhile. Reading the threads and posting as you feel like it, will give you incentive to keep going. If you feel you might cave and drink, post on SR first and wait for responses. You can do this. I'm rooting for you.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I appreciated what Renivate said about buying the entire store... it’s so true. For me, like so many, I am a bottomless pit when I begin drinking. It’s baffling because I am very disciplined about most things, but with alcohol I can’t help myself; one bottle leads to 2 and then more and more until I wake up shaking... awful place to be.

I find that having a plan that involves other alcoholics with good sober time is key. If I’m alone and think no one will find out, it’s hopeless; once the idea pops into my head, i might as well have taken the first sip. Reaching out on here is great, but do also reach out to AA groups. The system only works if you participate, i.e. call someone when you get the urge. If that person isn’t available, call someone else. This is how most of the people I know have achieved sobriety when they would have otherwise drank themselves to death, literally.

Cravings can be tricky and inexplicable. I only know a few of my own, like I like drinking while cooking (even though it’s dangerous) or while watching certain tv shows. During these times, i generally keep contact via text with people who will know what to say to support me to not pick up that first one. Others can be supportive too, but for them it’s as simple as “don’t drink”. We know it’s not that easy.

Stay with it!!