Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What do you do to calm down or center yourself or brighten an off day

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I understand that with addictions a lot of the work is preventative, and following and working a solid plan is the real key to success.

But I was wondering if anyone had any instant calming or soothing techniques for acute situational stress/life events/off days

I learned a grounding technique that involved basically wiggling my toes and feeling the earth (or floor) if inside, and I found it incredibly calming in an emotionally stressful situation. The fact of forgetting everything and just focusing on feeling my toes and feeling the floor helped me feel calm and soothed.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like triangle breathing. There’s also this technique where you inhale or exhale every 6 seconds. These are things I find I can do when other people are around too. Also, I like exercising such as swimming, running or yoga.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a musician so I play a lot of music
Got any hobbies or interests, Hopeful 528?

D
Old 06-23-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The breathing thing is really good for me too- I still have the habit of the habit of holding my breath when I get stressed.

Yoga, a nap, a Netflix binge, pretend (or real, ha!) shopping on Amazon, going to an AA mtg, calling or texting my sponsor or a (sober or just good for me) friend...writing a note to a friend who pops into my head....going to bed early (I'm known for the 6p turn in if I'm stressed or upset or such).

Little things like all that (some are bigger than others) have become second nature solutions.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AtomicBlue is spot on! I would add to that pray, drink lots of water and eat healthy food.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes I visualize being in the eye of a hurricane (in a calm way) while chaos whips around me. Sometimes I actually just pretend to be utterly calm and I smile a lot. And faking it sometimes turns into making it. I am also a huge fan of the early bed time August mentions. For me most things seem better in the light of day.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

getting up and just doing something, taking action on things that need to be done.

Sometimes i just sleep the depression or off day away.

i dont get them often, but when i do its a HUGE hit, it basically paralyzes me, but ive learnt to keep going.

being sober has made off days feel like glass in an already open wound. there's no alcohol to numb it all away anymore.

oh well just gotta keep going.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Weed the gardens, work in the dirt. My absolute number one, go clean stalls. There I am alone with thoughts, nobody bothers me for fear they will get handed a pitchfork. I am nobodies boss, just me and my horses and poop. Good exercise, productive... a good reminder no matter who you are, you are never too big to shovel crap for someone else.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like meditating. There's a ton of free resources online; searching for 'meditation videos' will give you a whole array of options. I love doing body scan meditation. I also use meditation phone apps. Headspace, Insight Timer and Calm are my favorites.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
J50

I like focusing on nature. Looking at the clouds during sunset, listening to leaves while the wind is blowing, being near a body of water, or in the sun. It all has a calming effect if you "stop and smell the roses."

I used to drink red wine to attempt to do this. Instead, I would rehash the day all over again, put stress on my body, and wake up feeling like I got run over by a train.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like to walk my dogs when I feel stressed. If I can't walk them, I like to pet them - a lot.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have found a few breathing techniques for the unexpected in the moment anxiety/stress. I also find exercise and mindfulness to be really good tools.