Notices

Sober beach weekend

Old 06-24-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober beach weekend

Hi all. I just got home from a 4-day long beach weekend, with 3 close friends. A group that I used to drink with all the time.

They still drink, and do so around me (not heavily, and only after I told them it was ok to), and did so this weekend. However, I truly did not have any problem with the drinks, and did not have any cravings. I had all the soda, and sparkling water, and snacks that I could desire. Only yesterday did they drink a bit much, and I actually thought to myself "I am so glad I am able to be here on this gorgeous beach, with friends, and be sober. To not have to feel sad because the drinks are gone." They were drunk, but still in control. Later in the day they were all tired, and slow, and grumpy, and I was clear headed, and calm, and slept soundly.

I wanted to tell this story, so that newcomers can understand that fun can be had without drinking. It does take time to reach this point, but it can happen. And it is wonderful. My friends kept worrying about having enough to drink, and running back to the store to get more, and their dinner bills were twice as much as mine. And I still had just as much fun (maybe more?)! Being sober does not mean being boring. You can still live, and laugh, and love, and as a bonus, you do all this without regret and sorrow, and worry, and apologies.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing tnek97. Very inspirational. Including me and some of us thought, sober and not drinking means end of fun!, and nothing to look forward to.

I have learnt, UN-learnt, and learning again and trying again!

Much appreciate for sharing....we can still live on with no drinks and live in a better way!
Old 06-24-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you had a good sober time tnek

D
Old 06-24-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you. That is very encouraging to me.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lovely to read this thank you. Glad you had a great weekend.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! How long had you been sober when you went on the trip? I'm looking forward to vacationing sober too, but I'm also worried because it's still early days for me (6 months).
Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That really is brilliant and so inspiring, thank you.

I went on holiday very early in (on day 12) but I was so determined to stop and stay stopped, even abroad. I agree to be clear headed, have energy and not have the post booze grumpiness was amazing and made my holiday extra special.

Such a good post. Thank you 😊

CC
Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to a small venue concert the other night and walked up to the bar with my buddy to close our tabs out. His(drinking and buying random women drinks) was $185+tip. Mine was $23+tip for 2 redbulls and bottled waters.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I'm around people drinking a fair amount, and I'm always glad at the end of the evening that I get to leave and not worry about a DUI.

Among other things.

I stayed away from situations involving alcohol for the first 3 months or so. Once I adjusted, I have no problem with it. SOME DO.

Whatever works. I'm so happy with my sober life that I'm not much tempted. It's more of a habit thing. Cravings are there, but fleeting when looked at.

The thought of taking a shot of tequila makes me want to heave.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good stuff, thank you for posting.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
Awesome!!! How long had you been sober when you went on the trip? I'm looking forward to vacationing sober too, but I'm also worried because it's still early days for me (6 months).
I am almost 20 months sober (first time writing that number, hard to believe). Though I've gone out with them much earlier in sobriety and still had fun. This weekend though, I really took a moment to appreciate how far I've come and what I've learned.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Such a helpful & encouraging post, tnek. Thank you so much.

I think back to how I used to feel. I was sure life without alcohol would be so dull - I'd never be relaxed or have any 'real' fun. What was dull was me - being fuzzy, foggy, and numb. Going through the motions, not really experiencing anything. I allowed fear of missing out to keep me drinking long after it was fun or enjoyable. I'm so glad we saw the light & reclaimed our lives.