Notices

very happy sober vegan

Old 06-23-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

very happy sober vegan

Today i feel very happy about 3 days ago i became vegan am hoping to stay vegan but i have to see if me and my husband can afford it or not we have managed to buy some cheep food but there is some that are expansive but i hope to stay this way for a long time yet am also sober 3 years since i took a drink sober at one day at a time and you know what am so happy to be this way

life can get good if you let it yes i still have my problems but i can over come them

am a very happy sober vegan
Old 06-23-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m glad to hear that you’re doing well, GMS!
Old 06-23-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear you're doing well GMS. Hope you can find some economical vegan food

Google has some good links on cheap vegan food recipes.

D
Old 06-23-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Plenty of cheap and cheerful vegan recipes to be found.

Jack Monroe's page / blog is a good place to start... https://cookingonabootstrap.com/category/vegan-recipes/

Sure, there are plenty of fancy, new fangled vegonised things we can buy, but a lot of them are disappointing at first while we're still used to the taste and texture of the real deal. My fave cheat things are the spicy Quorn vegan burgers and also the vegan fish fingers in the chill counter in Tesco. If you're on Facebook there's a great Vegan Food forum on there (no debates and nasty pictures, just sticking to the positive and sharing food ideas). https://www.facebook.com/groups/980918008596284/

BB
Old 06-23-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Don't buy faux meats etc., and it will likely be cheaper than eating meat. Make sure you get in some B12 from either a supplement or fortified foods.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Don't buy faux meats etc., and it will likely be cheaper than eating meat. Make sure you get in some B12 from either a supplement or fortified foods.
Yes. Worth joining the vegan society. 10% discount in Holland and Barrett and their own Vegan vitamin supplements are very good value. About £7 For 3 months supply. (Mine will last longer than 3 months as well, because I keep forgetting to take them).

BB
Old 06-23-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A couple of years ago I was housemate with a vegan girl. She thought that she would lose weight but she had veganaise and tofurkey and the works. Eventually she gave up. But I am sure that it is possible to have a healthy vegan diet with a bit of research. Make sure that you get enough protein. Beans, lentils and chickpeas are good for you and not expensive.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to hear this, GMS. Diet is a very important part of holistic health. I am not totally vegan but I am more vegan than not. Cheese and irish butter are still hard for me to resist but when I eat cleanly I just feel better and have more energy. Wishing you lots of happiness and health. Being sober is the best, isn't it?
Old 06-23-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

GMS, it's so good to see you sounding so happy. I hope you can find some good deals on vegan food to continue your journey. Congratulations on 3 years of sobriety!
Old 06-24-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

GMS you sound great! I did 6 months on a no fat diet that was very close to completely vegan. I refused to have my gall bladder out because I didn't want a fat person's disease lol. My poor doctors...

Anyways, quick tips, banana, applesauce and avocado can be substituted anywhere that calls for butter. Reduce any sugar or sweetening. What is good is you can buy off reduced counter and toss in freezer. I hate the taste of soy, plus it gives me a headache, so I cut up egg plant and soak it in broth, then freeze it for stews.
One of my biggest soap box rants is the lack of available fresh food. That we live in a world where it is cheaper to buy a can of sugary pop than water or a can of concentrated orange juice, laden with preservatives and sugars, than a single orange, boils my blood. So many of our health issues could be solved by providing better access and affordability for fresh, locsl, in season food. Why does it cost me $3 for a pint of local strawberries and $1.99 for something that was shipped from California and soaked in pesticide at the border? To me it is s huge issue that affects all of us. And rant over lol.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

GrantMeSerenity, it is so very wonderful to see you happy!