Notices

Long flight travel next week - suggestions needed

Old 06-24-2018, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long flight travel next week - suggestions needed

Folks, I am going on a real long haul flight trip to India next Monday. Especially the leg from San Francisco to Singapore is 17 hours

All these years, I used to have few drinks to get me off to sleep, which is otherwise super uncomfortable. How will i get sleep now / overcome the in-flight anxiety ? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Have a good day!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I fly quite a bit for work and used to describe Airports as "Pubs with planes in the car park" I used to routinely get annihilated in airports and on long flight, telling myself the lie that I need alcohol to fall asleep.

What I find that helps now is focusing on treating myself with respect and keeping myself occupied at the airport, maybe shopping. Anything but just sitting in the bar getting smashed waiting for the flight. I missed so many flights in my previous life....

On the actual flight, I normally use Kalms (Valerian extract) to ease my anxiety. I've used stronger anti-anxiety meds as well but thats entirely up to you.

Avoid caffeine pre/during the flight as that can make you even more edgy.

Normally I just throw the kitchen sink at making sure I won't be anxious as my Beast has a field day telling me I should drink on the flight as "no one will know"... Its still the same after 2 years sober!

I guess my advice is to try and get as many things that will relax you as possible, over the counter medication or whatever and try and enjoy the experience. Watch movies, catch up on Netflix etc.

Its a wonderful feeling to get off a long haul flight and feel alert and rested!!! Its not something I'd ever experienced prior to stopping drinking!!!

Singapore airport is amazing BTW, its one of the best airports in the world. I love it there.

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
Folks, I am going on a real long haul flight trip to India next Monday. Especially the leg from San Francisco to Singapore is 17 hours

All these years, I used to have few drinks to get me off to sleep, which is otherwise super uncomfortable. How will i get sleep now / overcome the in-flight anxiety ? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Have a good day!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Look around the airport at all the people who aren't drinking.

Do what they do.

Enjoy your travels!
Old 06-25-2018, 04:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Call the airline and tell them you are a newly recovering alcoholic and that you don’t want to be offered any alcohol. Most airlines will honour that and some even upgrade you to ensure you are isolated from other drinkers into business class. There are also AA meetings in all airports across the world so listen out for an announcement along the lines of “this is a call for all friends of Bill Wilson, please go to....” which will be where the meeting is in the airport (bill Wilson is the founder of AA) Hope that helps xx
Old 06-25-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Wondering what I'm going to do on my 15 hour flight to Australia in November. My usual MO is to knock myself out with a few drinks and a fistful of pills and wake up about 2 hours out of Sydney. I've been through the airport a few times and no longer feel compelled to drink there, but sleep on a long flight will probably elude me. The flight is perfect for sleep...you take off around 10:30pm, fly for 15 hours and arrive at 7:30am, having completely lost a day due to the International Date Line (you get it back upon return).

I could possibly get a sleeping tablet prescription for just two (one in each direction), but I kinda don't want to go there, especially since Lunesta was part of my drinking package when I had to go to rehab. Probably will just bring lots of books and stuff and watch movies for a long time. I don't get anxious on planes, I get more excited than anything if it's a vacation flight.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Read. Get some good books and read and enjoy.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Commit in your mind that you will want to get there as rested as possible, and most of us know alcohol will not really provide a rested sleep. Denial or your AV tells you to imbibe. Resist your excuse for drinking, because deep down you know it's just an excuse. Try taking a benedryl (suggested dosage only) at the beginning of your long flight, which should help you relax. Drink water, avoid salty foods. Resolve to do things differently this time. You CAN do this. Good luck to those traveling, have a safe and sane trip.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wibble View Post
I fly quite a bit for work and used to describe Airports as "Pubs with planes in the car park" I used to routinely get annihilated in airports and on long flight, telling myself the lie that I need alcohol to fall asleep.

What I find that helps now is focusing on treating myself with respect and keeping myself occupied at the airport, maybe shopping. Anything but just sitting in the bar getting smashed waiting for the flight. I missed so many flights in my previous life....

On the actual flight, I normally use Kalms (Valerian extract) to ease my anxiety. I've used stronger anti-anxiety meds as well but thats entirely up to you.

Avoid caffeine pre/during the flight as that can make you even more edgy.

Normally I just throw the kitchen sink at making sure I won't be anxious as my Beast has a field day telling me I should drink on the flight as "no one will know"... Its still the same after 2 years sober!

I guess my advice is to try and get as many things that will relax you as possible, over the counter medication or whatever and try and enjoy the experience. Watch movies, catch up on Netflix etc.

Its a wonderful feeling to get off a long haul flight and feel alert and rested!!! Its not something I'd ever experienced prior to stopping drinking!!!

Singapore airport is amazing BTW, its one of the best airports in the world. I love it there.
Thank you so much for your inputs! I agree it feels great to get off a flight feeling rested. Will check out the valerian supplement @ local pharmacy. Yes, Changi is one heck of an airport - have been there before.!!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Call the airline and tell them you are a newly recovering alcoholic and that you don’t want to be offered any alcohol. Most airlines will honour that and some even upgrade you to ensure you are isolated from other drinkers into business class. There are also AA meetings in all airports across the world so listen out for an announcement along the lines of “this is a call for all friends of Bill Wilson, please go to....” which will be where the meeting is in the airport (bill Wilson is the founder of AA) Hope that helps xx
The upgrade option sounds awesome Hope you are doing well in Thailand!! Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Read. Get some good books and read and enjoy.
Thank you. I have a book in hand - "Chasing the monsoon" by Alexander Frater. Awesome read if you love rain. I will try to wrap it up since I am like half way through.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
Commit in your mind that you will want to get there as rested as possible, and most of us know alcohol will not really provide a rested sleep. Denial or your AV tells you to imbibe. Resist your excuse for drinking, because deep down you know it's just an excuse. Try taking a benedryl (suggested dosage only) at the beginning of your long flight, which should help you relax. Drink water, avoid salty foods. Resolve to do things differently this time. You CAN do this. Good luck to those traveling, have a safe and sane trip.
Thank you. I agree - it is the commitment that matters in the end. If I am wishy washy even before boarding, pretty sure I will fall into the free drinks trap. Will try to take Benadryl / Doxylamine as I am super awake on flights and suffer with leg pain/back pain etc.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Wow great great info. Will remember the name Bill Wilson. Thank you so much, you are a genius
Old 06-25-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Look around the airport at all the people who aren't drinking.

Do what they do.

Enjoy your travels!
Nonsensical has very good advice there. It's part of the alcoholic mindset to think things are impossible without alcohol. Attending a wedding? Impossible without alcohol. Falling asleep on a long plane ride? Impossible without alcohol. Attending a reception with work friends? Impossible without alcohol. Falling asleep, oh, I don't know, on some random Wednesday night? All of these are impossible without alcohol.

Except that there are many people doing exactly these things, without alcohol, and doing them quite well.

All of that being said, getting a good night's sleep in coach on a long-haul trip is a challenge, but when the plane lands, you'll feel worse if you drank. I've gotten on planes sober and come off hung over. Not at all fun.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Wondering what I'm going to do on my 15 hour flight to Australia in November. My usual MO is to knock myself out with a few drinks and a fistful of pills and wake up about 2 hours out of Sydney. I've been through the airport a few times and no longer feel compelled to drink there, but sleep on a long flight will probably elude me. The flight is perfect for sleep...you take off around 10:30pm, fly for 15 hours and arrive at 7:30am, having completely lost a day due to the International Date Line (you get it back upon return).

I could possibly get a sleeping tablet prescription for just two (one in each direction), but I kinda don't want to go there, especially since Lunesta was part of my drinking package when I had to go to rehab. Probably will just bring lots of books and stuff and watch movies for a long time. I don't get anxious on planes, I get more excited than anything if it's a vacation flight.
Lucky your flight starts at 10.30 PM. Mine starts from SFO at 11 AM. I am going to get a book and maybe watch Netflix movies as suggested in this thread. Coach is horrible as everyone knows. I checked the flight model. It is A350. I pray it at least has a foot rest. Otherwise my legs start aching after few hours.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

get one of them silly looking pillows for your neck.
get some decent headphones.
load up the ipad/kindle/tablet/android/laptop device of your choice with music or movies or audiobooks, or all of the above.
wear comfy clothes.
if you pick the window, you'll have to climb over your row buddies to get to the bathroom.
if you are in the middle seat....well....yuck.
aisle seat is my fave, but then your row buddies have to get past YOU.....
it's 17 hours, you won't sleep THAT long and probably didn't even when you did drink........which you don't do anymore.
again, it's 17 hours....for you and everyone else on the plane. ya'll just have to deal. the discomfort is shared. is what it is.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
get one of them silly looking pillows for your neck.
get some decent headphones.
load up the ipad/kindle/tablet/android/laptop device of your choice with music or movies or audiobooks, or all of the above.
wear comfy clothes.
if you pick the window, you'll have to climb over your row buddies to get to the bathroom.
if you are in the middle seat....well....yuck.
aisle seat is my fave, but then your row buddies have to get past YOU.....
it's 17 hours, you won't sleep THAT long and probably didn't even when you did drink........which you don't do anymore.
again, it's 17 hours....for you and everyone else on the plane. ya'll just have to deal. the discomfort is shared. is what it is.
Good suggestions. I have a good quality neck pillow. But guess what? Airbus A350 has foldable neck adjustors in the seat. These are flexible it seems, but I have never seen them before. You are right - Every seat has its own pros and cons. I used to love window seats as it gives some relief from boredom but if the folks next to you do not move at all and keep sleeping, I have to control my natural calls like anything to prevent disturbing them. Middle seat - hate hate hate it. Aisle - awesome , probably the best at the moment. I do not mind waking up , because I can't sleep anyways due to flight anxiety
Old 06-25-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I didn't read every post, but what helped me sleep on planes were noise-cancelling headphones and a good inflatable neck pillow (if you have to sleep in coach.)
Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

if it makes you feel any better....my daughter and i recently flew to Philly from Seattle....now we booked our tickets at the same time and made our seat selections. however, upon check in, it seems "I" had been granted seat 34C. As in the LAST row, where seat backs don't move. and you get to pick up on other people's bathroom habits and learn just how much time the flight attendants spend chopping ice!!!