Notices

3 days almost down

Old 06-21-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days almost down

First time in here but I have managed to almost make it through day three which is 3 times as long as I have been sober in at least 18 months (about to go to bed so should be ok). I really have surprised myself getting this far as I normally go right back to it after that first night of no sleep or some sleep with crazy dreams. I decided to try this while my family is out of town which I think is helping. I am also doing it at the same time as a cleanse which doesn’t allow alcohol or caffeine or really anything but green smoothies. Having that as a goal to strive for is helping as well. I was shooting for 14 days then going right back to it in moderation after I feel healthier. But now after reading some other posts about moderation I really think I need to give it up for good.

Only a couple people know how much I have been drinking (that I know of). And I have actually had a lot of successes in the past three years of major excess which makes this even harder. The main reason I told myself I need to quit for a while is I am starting to just feel and see the weight of the extra 2000 to 2500 Cals a day now that I am a bit older. Daily workouts just can’t keep up anymore. Hence the cleanse. But I really should be focusing on the detriment I could cause my family if alcohol kills me or gets me put in jail or takes away my career. I know I can’t put booze before my wife and my kids and my own health but somehow I manage to justify it.

Even 5 or 6 years ago I wouldn’t regularly drink heavily during the weekdays. Then that started. I told myself I would never drink at work unless socially. Then I found myself doing that. Then never before 1000 hrs, but the other day I started at 0600 on the way to the airport. So I should see the logic in what will come next.

Anyways, reading threads on this site has been helpful and inspirational to me to see that folks have been able to overcome this thing and take their lives back. Good luck everyone!
Old 06-21-2018, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi DesertDad - we're so glad to have you with us. 3 days is wonderful.

The progression of your drinking was just like mine. I loved having fun on the weekends & it stayed that way for a few years. Then Sunday afternoon drinks turned into Sunday evening - then 'hair of the dog' on Monday because I felt shaky. Eventually, drinking during work hours happened too - so it was in my system almost all the time. I never imagined my life would revolve around the availability of alcohol - but in the end, it did. I was completely dependent. I'm happy that you see what needs to happen. You'll never regret taking control of your destiny. Welcome!
Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I can certainly identify with the progression you're talking about. Alcohol is indeed cunning, baffling, and power. Glad you're here and posting.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard DesertDad

D
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Made it to the morning of day 4. Woke up feeling good, ran 4 miles and off to work with a clear head. So good to wake up with:

1) remembering what happened the last hour of the day prior
2) not having to check my phone to see if I texted or called or emailed anyone while drunk
3) not having to worry about having gotten into an argument with my wife I don’t recall or locating cans or bottles I hid!
4) random soreness around my abdomen and back

To name a few!
Old 06-22-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep it going.

Well done.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DesertDad
Have an awesome day and check back in after work! Glad you are here.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on your sober days!! You CAN do this!! We are all here for you!
Old 06-22-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words.

The hardest part will be at the end of work today, especially on a Friday, and passing the 7 convenience stores and gas stations where I typically rotate to shop for booze on my way home. I have such an ingrained habit of pulling over and going right for the strongest thing they sell so I can have a buzz going before I even get home.

My plan is to workout this evening to avoid the temptation. And then read through the posts on here while I watch a movie until I fall asleep.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

good plan

D