SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Bopping Along on Day 9..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/429134-bopping-along-day-9-a.html)

Horn95 06-21-2018 10:58 AM

Bopping Along on Day 9.....

So on Day 9 -- the last Day 9 I will ever have. Feeling pretty good. No cravings really. Indeed, I went to one of my favorite Italian restaurants in town last night. My wife and her friend drank wine, I of course, abstained. No real temptation, other than they asked me to pick the wine for them -- I used to wait tables at fancy restaurants, and since then have acquired a pretty good knowledge of wine. I picked out an Amarone Valpolicella. My favorite Italian Red.

I was a bit amused by it all to the extent when I was not an alcoholic, I drank some pretty good stuff. In fact, the only thing that tempted me about the whole affair is that I really do like the taste of a good wine, especially reds. It's not like drinking scotch where it is only a sophisticated (or at least the folks who are drinking think so ;)) way to get hammered -- which is not sophisticated at all. In any event, the amusing part is since becoming an alcoholic (about 3 years now) I would run into a store and buy the cheap stuff in the morning and slam down a bottle (or the equivalent) just to "take the edge off." Not exactly a "rock bottom" story, but it did illustrate one example of how far I had fallen. Well, at least I was saving money when compared to scotch and "good wine." ;)

Thankfully, Steps 1 & 2 kicked in, and I had no reservation in not partaking in one of the things I used to really enjoy, for the right reason.

And I felt great this morning, while my wife is napping off the wine she drank. She looked and felt like hell when she woke up; I on the other hand, went to the Gym, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! Felt Good!:c011:

DontRemember 06-21-2018 11:17 AM

Before I cleared out my home bar, when getting sober, I'd have several expensive bottles of vodka on the shelf and still, I'd go buy some plastic bottle swill because I didn't want to waste the 'good stuff' on getting plastered by myself. Pretty ingenious drunk negotiating we justify our drinking with! :lmao :dee

djlook 06-21-2018 12:46 PM

Even at 20 years, I don't know what it is about those pretty bottles that still know my name. You'd think they'd forget, but evidently not.

carpetcleaner 06-21-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by DontRemember (Post 6933492)
Before I cleared out my home bar, when getting sober, I'd have several expensive bottles of vodka on the shelf and still, I'd go buy some plastic bottle swill because I didn't want to waste the 'good stuff' on getting plastered by myself. Pretty ingenious drunk negotiating we justify our drinking with! :lmao :dee

I did exactly the same.

Wow, all that effort put into secret drinking!

BDTL 06-21-2018 01:18 PM

I'm proud of ya Horn! Bright eyed and bushy tail and hit the gym sounds like a man on a mission. Keep going brother and hold ya head up high! Be proud because you are becoming the real you.

lessgravity 06-21-2018 01:31 PM

Nice work man. Let's save all this money we spent on poison and put it toward something with true value. Like overpriced watches! ;)

Keep it moving and stay strong.