Notices

Bopping Along on Day 9.....

Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bopping Along on Day 9.....

So on Day 9 -- the last Day 9 I will ever have. Feeling pretty good. No cravings really. Indeed, I went to one of my favorite Italian restaurants in town last night. My wife and her friend drank wine, I of course, abstained. No real temptation, other than they asked me to pick the wine for them -- I used to wait tables at fancy restaurants, and since then have acquired a pretty good knowledge of wine. I picked out an Amarone Valpolicella. My favorite Italian Red.

I was a bit amused by it all to the extent when I was not an alcoholic, I drank some pretty good stuff. In fact, the only thing that tempted me about the whole affair is that I really do like the taste of a good wine, especially reds. It's not like drinking scotch where it is only a sophisticated (or at least the folks who are drinking think so ) way to get hammered -- which is not sophisticated at all. In any event, the amusing part is since becoming an alcoholic (about 3 years now) I would run into a store and buy the cheap stuff in the morning and slam down a bottle (or the equivalent) just to "take the edge off." Not exactly a "rock bottom" story, but it did illustrate one example of how far I had fallen. Well, at least I was saving money when compared to scotch and "good wine."

Thankfully, Steps 1 & 2 kicked in, and I had no reservation in not partaking in one of the things I used to really enjoy, for the right reason.

And I felt great this morning, while my wife is napping off the wine she drank. She looked and felt like hell when she woke up; I on the other hand, went to the Gym, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! Felt Good!
Old 06-21-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Before I cleared out my home bar, when getting sober, I'd have several expensive bottles of vodka on the shelf and still, I'd go buy some plastic bottle swill because I didn't want to waste the 'good stuff' on getting plastered by myself. Pretty ingenious drunk negotiating we justify our drinking with!
Old 06-21-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Even at 20 years, I don't know what it is about those pretty bottles that still know my name. You'd think they'd forget, but evidently not.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Before I cleared out my home bar, when getting sober, I'd have several expensive bottles of vodka on the shelf and still, I'd go buy some plastic bottle swill because I didn't want to waste the 'good stuff' on getting plastered by myself. Pretty ingenious drunk negotiating we justify our drinking with!
I did exactly the same.

Wow, all that effort put into secret drinking!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I'm proud of ya Horn! Bright eyed and bushy tail and hit the gym sounds like a man on a mission. Keep going brother and hold ya head up high! Be proud because you are becoming the real you.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice work man. Let's save all this money we spent on poison and put it toward something with true value. Like overpriced watches!

Keep it moving and stay strong.