Notices

Major life changes in the 1st year?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major life changes in the 1st year?

Hello SR friends,

I have read a lot about not making any major life changes during the first year of recovery. This includes starting a new relationship, moving to a new city, starting a new business, and even buying a home. What are your thoughts or experiences with this concept?

I am almost 5 months sober and all of these things have crossed my mind..and not because I'm running away from anything. I now feel the strength to run towards some of my dreams and goals that got put on the back burner. Should I hold off?

Any input is welcomed!
WF
Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think everyone needs to make their own call on this.

It's just that all those things can be stressful and can separate you from recovery at a very vulnerable time. It's your call, though. I'm glad I kept things simple and focused on the things in my life that truly needed to change. I didn't do any of those things you listed.

I did understand that I had nothing to run away from that wasn't in that eight inches between my own ears.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to move at the very beginning of my recovery due to my husband's job. I moved to a city where English was not the first language and I was unable to work. It was a lot of change and it was the best thing that could have happened to me. The Universe was supporting me.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's all to do with how much pressure it will put on you, if you feel strong enough go for it, if you don't wait until you are, it's all down to the individual, good luck
Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sometimes life changes are unavoidable.....regardless of where they fall on any timeline.

the no big changes in the first year is more urban legend than fact. but it is pretty sound advice for the newly recovered. getting sober and staying sober is hard work, stressful, consuming. a year sober is still considered early recovery....but by then the individual has a solid 365ish days of not drinking under their belt, they've been thru the seasons, holidays, birthdays, other significant events. they've had the chance to make recovery a HABIT. getting over the pink cloud phase, the "i got this phase", the do i really WANT to be sober phase.

launching into a new romance is going to be distracting. it can be all too easy to get caught up in the endorphins and the "good feelings" and wanting to spend more and more time together, which means less time doing other things.

moving house/moving across country can be hugely stressful. depending on where the person lands it can be a very foreign strange place, with a negligible support system, leaving the individual vulnerable.

finally, putting big decisions on hold teaches us patience. we are so used to instant gratification, i want what i want and i want it NOW. if something is meant to be, it will be in another week, or month or year. we learn to slow down, think things ALL the way through, examine options and alternatives, craft a plan, hone that plan, and then start the steps to execute the plan. understanding that just cuz WE want it, doesn't mean it will come to fruition. we learn to see the signs and not barrel ahead.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
...starting a new relationship, moving to a new city, starting a new business, and even buying a home. ...I am almost 5 months sober and all of these things have crossed my mind.
Maybe pick one?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One issue with following this AA-ish advice is that life doesn't wait for you.

In the past 3 years I've moved in with my fiance, got re-married, had a kid and am now starting a new job in the fall. I also finally quit drinking.

I wish I had the time and space to get through getting sober without those other things happening. On the other hand, maybe I would have put off finally quitting had I not had my life to take care of. I can't say for sure. But here I am, sober as I've ever been and I will always be. And I've also experienced how all the aspects of life required me to try and be my best self - which, as we all know, can only be accomplished sober.

Not a lot of advice in my post. Guess just a slightly contrarian perspective.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yayaya to 5 months!!!

I bought my first house when I was 7 months sober! Best decision EVER!
I am in no rush for a relationship, just left an 11 year relationship at 5 months sober.
I vacationed at 4 months sober

I totally agree with the relationship aspect, 1 year plus!!!!

We still live, just better choices are being made.

Not drinking is a daily practice!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Just my humble opinion, but some major life changes may be necessary to make the one year mark. I think one should just use common sense and examine motives.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think the advice to put off big life decisions comes from people who've taken a retrospective look at a year gone by, and thought, "wow, that was tough; I tried a lot of things that didn't work out and made me less stable."

I can understand that.

But I bet it's recall bias. Meaning that people are more likely to look back after a difficult year and say "I shouldn't have tried to do all that," than they are to look back after a successful year and say "wow, this year was pretty good; It think everyone should buy a house, start a relationship, get a new job, and move within the first 12 months!" It just wouldn't occur to someone to give that kind of advice if things went well, while it would occur to advise people to take it slow if the year has its struggles.

This is a long way of saying that I don't think there's any magic to the one-year point. The answer will be for different for everyone. Some people will do better if they proactively keep things quiet; other people will do better if they follow opportunities as they arise.

And for some people, new settings will give a sense of a clean slate and a fresh start, and that can be empowering.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I broke that rule in several ways, but didn't change jobs despite thinking about it.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I kind of believe in not dating in early recovery, at least that's how I feel, for me it would not work. But if the right person falls from a sky into my lap I would consider it.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've heard it as no unnecessary changes.

Sometimes we have change thrust upon us - I had to move house in my first 6 months (forced move) and I also started a new relationship (unforced change).

It all worked out but sometimes it was HARD not to retreat to the bottle....

Be sure you're capable of travelling on rough seas would be my advice

D
Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you remain sober I think you can handle more than you think. A major life change basically triggered my sobriety, but within the first year I sold my business, sold my house, bought a new house in a different city, started 2 new careers. Never could have done it being a drunk.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
If you remain sober I think you can handle more than you think. A major life change basically triggered my sobriety, but within the first year I sold my business, sold my house, bought a new house in a different city, started 2 new careers. Never could have done it being a drunk.
thomas11.

Do you think you made those changes because you had new clarity with a sober mind? I've been wanting to make some changes for a long time, particularly moving to a new city to start a business. While drinking the thought was overwhelming, but now it sounds exciting, and may be just the challenge I'm looking for!

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 06-20-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. This advice comes from the rehab industry and is often touted in AA, though it has no connection with the AA program. Where I got sober the advice was no relationships for the first 100 years, or something equally stupid to tell a lonely 22 year old male.

I made some big decisions, the biggest to get sober, handing my will and life over to the care of God, getting a new job, getting right into the AA program, these were all decisions that were absolutely major in their extent and effect.

The relationship thing, I made all the classic mistakes there and learnt incredibly valuable lessons as the result. The biggest lesson being that
these things have no bearing on whether I would recover or not. They are external, and my problem is internal.

I think of all the alcoholics I have met and their stories. I and they drank in the total range of circumtsnaces. Job, no job, wife, no wife, house, no house, pots of money, no money, stressed no stress, sad, happy. There was no common set of circumstances that made an alcoholic drink, though all these things are often used as excuses.

The issue is the internal condition. Get right with that and you can handle anything.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Use caution and examine your motives. Stay sober. And as Carl said, maybe pick one.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I definitely think it depends on you, there might be some changes that will support you in sobriety. Do you have anything specific in mind?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I made some pretty big decisions - kinda had too due to circumstances.

Sold my house, moved a little over an hour away... some other things.

I'm much better off for it. Though I can tell you it was stressful at times... not sure that's for everyone.

Helps if the changes you want to make are part of an overall bigger plan. If so, I say go for it, run toward that new life. Trust yourself. And when/ if you feel a bit lost or fearful in the midst of it just remind yourself you have a plan.

-B
Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I guess it depends on the person. Every alcoholic is different, and what works for some, will not work for others. Do and make whatever changes make you happy. At the end of the day, you have the ultimate choice to not drink and stay sober, regardless of any life circumstances.