Notices

Checking in.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in.

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while and wanted to check in. Things are going alright, all things considered. I'll be coming up on a year here next month (At least I'd consider it a year. July 27th.) Here are some positive improvements that I've been working on:

-Eating a healthy diet (I find I have sugar cravings now, but try my best to keep it to fresh fruits.)
-Sleep is fairly regular, my new job requires me to be up around 4AM and we work our tails off all day. I get to sleep when my head hits the pillow.
-Keeping up communication with my family, in particular my grandparents.
-Slowly working my way back to regular physically active hobbies and finding new interests. (I'm working on redefining who I am; I am no longer my job or the industry I worked in.)

All in all, things are alright. There's still a lot of work to be done, learning to feel and accept a LOT of what I would drink to forget or get away from. I'm coming to see that I blew a lot of really great opportunities because I couldn't control my drinking...but if I didn't, maybe I'd still be drinking. I've hurt some really great people and I'm happy they've moved on, neglected a lot of areas of my life, and have a lot of regrets.

Work can be pretty stressful, the same with home life. I've actually had an eye twitch the last few months. I've felt like drinking fairly often and have half-heartedly joked about it a bit with my girlfriend. I know I'd probably try to hide it in our cellar, but deep down know I'd probably be back to trying to drink every free chance I could. I'm trying to reason out some other bad thoughts I have as well; they are easier to deal with while sober, but thinking about the past and a lot of the "how the hell did I get here?" questions brings me down.

Problems still to fix, still not much peace. Wondering if I'm in the right place, doing the right things. Need to look at the bright side. At least I'm not hung over.

All the best.

Edit: To other folks that are new to working on sobriety: Even though the problems don't go away when you quit your DOC, it sets you up to deal with them. I tell myself that I can get through some really hard things. Where I used to run to beer or booze, I can check myself and abstain. It's all a process, but life is a 1000x better without the bottle. Also, it's very important to communicate with people who GET you, who have walked in your shoes. Friends and family can be great people to lean on, but it really helps to open communication with others who have wrestled with the same/similar problems that we have.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad things are going well cellardweller

D
Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

nice check in