Notices

First day sober after 4 1/2 decades - help

Old 06-19-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy First day sober after 4 1/2 decades - help

Here's my story: I (m55) have been in and out of sobriety for almost11 years. I started drinking when I was 12, and have been binge drinking ever since. I would go to high school and drink before going to school,drinking almost a handle almost every day. I've always known that I've been an alcoholic. After college, I became a successful business owner and was making a lot of money, but I was still drinking my life away. I recently relapse, hard relapse actually. I had to go to the hospital this morning because I mixed medication and alcohol. I'd like to take my family back to the good life and get better.
Does anyone have any suggestions to help me get through this? It's been 4 and a half decades and I need to figure a way to stop drinking.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rehab, and/or AA, or some other program. I have learned the hard way that it’s almost impossible to do it on your own. But the desire to quit is the first step. Good for you. Welcome and keep coming back.

Are you having any withdrawals? If so, I highly recommend seeing a doctor ASAP.

Lot’s of successful stories on here, and others who are going through what you are too.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. If you've been drinking that much, it would be a good idea to see your doctor for some help in getting thru withdrawal. Alcohol w/d can be dangerous so it's best to have your doctor's help.

Read and post as much as you like. SR is a great resource, use it to get and stay sober.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with what Horn said.

After this much time you can't do it by yourself. I think that AA will work, but Rehab will get you where you want to be sooner.

And the aftercare recommendation of rehab is usually AA anyway so you may end up with both alternatives.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, cadillac. I'm so glad you're here.

I drank 30 yrs. When I found SR it really helped with the anxiety I was feeling. Everyone understood & didn't judge (the way others in my life did). I agree about seeing a doctor to help with detox or withdrawal - just to be safe. I hope being here will help you stay determined to reclaim your life. You can do it.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Cadillac,
I drank for almost the same amount of time as you. I did squeeze In a sober stretch of seven years long ago. I did get sober again with the help of SR. In hindsight I think I would have been better off with rehab and SR. I think professional help would have made things easier in the first few months. It can be done, it took a bunch of work and I had to block out many aspects of my life to focus and dedicate my energy to sobriety. I wish you luck. I found coming here and posting or reading helped me so much. You can do it.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You should still be at the doctor's/hospital. You're going to need help. Go back and get it.