Notices

Newbie here

Old 06-18-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here

Hello All, I am a newbie on here and looking to connect with folks that are living a similar life to mine and that I can relate to. I was married to an alcoholic/drug user for 13 years and have 3 now adult daughters together. Our middle daughter who is 28 is an alcoholic. She lives with me as well as her son, and my grandson. The last few years have been a huge struggle to me and find myself angry and lashing out at her over this awful disease. I know that is wrong but it is so hard for me and I feel like I need to find a strong support system to help me to better deal with the situation.
She has been in and out of a few treatment centers but then never continues with her outpatient program and meetings nor has she ever gotten a sponsor, which I have tried to encourage.
SHe had medical issues as well now.. ie, seizures and liver issues. I am so torn as to what to do or how to cope and the fact that I have helped raise my grandson since birth and fear losing him is just keeping me as an enabler to her behavior as there are never any real consequences...…… HELP !!
Old 06-18-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm sorry for your situation.

It might be a good idea for you to talk to a lawyer to learn what your rights are and to find out what you can do to ensure that your grandson is safe.

Also, for support for yourself, you might check out AlAnon in your city.

We have a Forum for Friends & Families which could be helpful as well:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/
Old 06-18-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome LizEe. I'm not a parent so I've no experience to share but I think AlAnon is something to consider. Its a support for those with an addicted loved one.

You'll certainly find support and understanding here too

D