Notices

Accept the fact that you will never drink again..

Old 06-15-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accept the fact that you will never drink again..

Sobriety from alcohol has worked extremely well for me with one simple acceptance. My past incidents of going sober have all failed. And I wondered, why?

Well, I didn’t restructure my life when I quit. I also didn’t accept the fact that I could never drink again. Easy enough to say, right? Well, actually coming to terms with it, being completely content, and opening yourself up to sobriety is what makes one successful. Simply saying, “I’m quitting” with no real plan, support, or restructure hasn’t worked for me, and I’m sure it hasn’t worked for many others.

I see a lot of relapses on here after three, five, and 20 days ect. I have been in the same boat. Most of us have. It’s nothing we have not seen and experienced several times in our lives.

Yet, if you’re struggling, what are you doing to restructure yourself? Simply taking alcohol out of your life, then leaving everything else the same will not work in my opinion. There is a reason you drink, there is a reason for the depression, anxiety, and stress.

How will you deal with life’s problems? How will you take care of both your mind and body? What hobbies do you enjoy, or want to explore? What things can you do to help fill the voids, and start living a life worth living?

Alcohol is a huge component, but it’s not the only moving part of this complex disease.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When you say "I'm never going to drink again, ever" and you feel a bit of a squirm inside, that's your AV wincing in pain and dying a bit!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You don't need to ever make that type of commitment.
All you have to do is not drink for one day, just one. Repeat the next morning.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ehhh, it’s what has worked for me. Maybe you don’t need it, but others may! If it was as simple as “just don’t drink” I think everyone would be sober if they struggled. Every person is different. That’s just my personal opinion.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Making the lifelong commitment is the basis of what they talk about in AVRT, it's really helped me.

Can can take it down from a day to just this moment. This moment is eternal, there's only one moment, it is always now!