Notices

Surrender

Old 06-15-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surrender

That’s the key for an alcoholic to get and stay sober. No fight, just total acceptance that the towel is thrown in and the fight is simply over; it can only be won by surrender and acceptance that it’s the first drink that does all the damage.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How many Newcomers are ready to surrender and totally accept their alcoholism to their innermost selves? My experience was that this was pivotal in my recovery. Once you know what you are you can move forwards. Just my own experience of course but so grateful for the surrender and grateful acceptance of my alcoholism. This has given me many happy years of contented sobriety.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad that works for some but admitting your powerlessness over something, simply disempowers the person. You can hide behind that if anything goes wrong.

To me, It's counter intuative.

"You will never truly get over something as long as you consider IT to be superior to you, and you powerless before IT.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

What if you knew someone who was wrecking his life with alcohol. It was so painful to watch you cut off contact with that person. Then, 2 years later you saw them and they looked better. So you talk to them and tell them they are looking better.

"Oh, yeah," he tells you, "about 18 months ago I went on a 4-day bender. At the end of it a Giant Invisible Poop Demon appeared to me and told me he was going to follow me around, floating above my head." He points up, but you see nothing. "He is up there," your friend says, "but he only reveals himself to me. Anyway - if I ever drink again that Giant Invisible Poop Demon is going to kill me by taking a giant dump on my head. So, I can't drink anymore. Now I have a great job, a great relationship with my wife and kids, everything is going great for me!"

How important would it be to tell him there aren't Giant Invisible Poop Demons?

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I see it, I proved my powerlessness every time I picked up another glass.

Acceptance of that was the key for me too.

Now I've never felt more powerful

D
Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Accepting my powerlessness was the thing that gave me my power back over alcohol. So grateful for it. One thing I’ve learned and seen time and time again is that intellectualising the solution to alcoholism is a pointless exercise. The currency of recovery is peace, serenity and hope. This is what I value the most in my life.

Grateful to be sober.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porcetta View Post
I'm glad that works for some but admitting your powerlessness over something, simply disempowers the person. You can hide behind that if anything goes wrong.

"You will never truly get over something as long as you consider IT to be superior to you, and you powerless before IT.
im glad you were able to stop drinking before you lost the power to choose whether or not you drank.
many here took it further than that.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Works for me!

It's when I begin to think that maybe I'm not powerless over it that I get into trouble and that's where I can lay the blame--on my own faulty thinking.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porcetta View Post

You sound like someone that is still fighting to the death the make alcohol work.
Alcohol is a behemoth with god knows how many gallons sitting on shelves across the world, with truckloads being pumped out every day.
Alcohol will always win in you walk up to it's table. Simply ignoring it and walking away is it's worst nightmare, as you won.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

To be fair there are varying ideas about this from different methods, and I know long term very happy SR members from both sides of the fence.

Polite reasoned discussion is fine. Polite disagreement is also fine....but I think threads like this work best when we share our experience - rather than our opinions on other peoples experience....

Dee
SR