Notices

Back after six months

Old 06-15-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back after six months

Good and ‘other’ news:
Never have I made it this long with so few slips. For months, I was really doing well, but I started to feel like something was missing in my life. Despite that, I went 5 plus months with three slips. The more confident I got, the more tension I felt...As if I was not really present and not living fully; I slowly convinced myself that alcohol was the missing piece. The rose colored glasses convinced me life was passing me by.
Even I was surprised hiw quickly I’d added three more slips in 9 days, pouring out the vodka after each and then repurchasing more as I began justifying continued drinking. As if was navigating a trade off or doing a benefit/cost analysis.
I know I need to come back here regularly. Thank you for your ear
Old 06-15-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

feel like something was missing in my life.
The more confident I got, the more tension I felt...As if I was not really present and not living fully
Yeah I had to do more than just drink. I dunno about you but my life was all bout drinking - it nursed me, kept me company, made me relax, was my ticket into social interaction, my confidant with my problems, or my ear to my troubles my worries or my anger.

I had to build a sober life I loved because being a non drinker in a life totally geared to drinking is never gonna last IMO.

D
Old 06-15-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you're back.
Yeah, those slips can soon turn into a routine of drinking pretty quickly . I know that all too well.
I had a feeling something was missing in my life, too. Well it was, drinking and the following hangovers until I'd recovered enough to do it all over again.
Drinking alcoholically like I did for twenty five years will do that to me.

I have now found other ways to fill the void of alcohol. Healthy and fun and interesting ways.
Best to you. I understand.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. SR can be a valuable tool in recovery. Use it to strengthen your sobriety.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

pouring out the vodka after each and then repurchasing more as I began justifying continued drinking.

I remember doing that. Pouring out the liquor on a Monday morning vowing never to drink again. And then on Tuesday afternoon replacing all the booze so I could catch a buzz Tuesday night.

I so am thankful to be off that merry-go-round!
Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder that stopping the drinking is only part of the task.