Notices

Newbie Day 5

Old 06-23-2018, 07:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie Day 5

Good evening. I am on day 5 being alcohol free. I'm 41 YO mom and wife. So far I'm loving being sober. I've had some cravings here and there but overall I love being in control of my life again. I woke up energized this morning and ran errands at 9:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning! What! I'm usually super tired and dehydrated from the previous night's 6 + drinks.

My husband, two boys, and I met friends for a seafood dinner this evening. At first, I really didn't want to go because I knew I couldn't drink. But once we got there I was fine. I ordered a sparkling water with lime in a wine glass. Perfect! I was truly satisfied. I'm going to stock up on sparkling mineral water and limes to drink at home.

I do believe weekends will be difficult for me in the beginning. It was always so nice to indulge on Fridays and Saturdays. Oh...who am I kidding, I indulged on most nights. But after a full week of sobriety it's hard to face the weekend with no booze. I didn't even go to the grocery store on Friday because I didn't want to see people stocking their carts with beer and wine. I know it would've made me upset. So, instead of going to the store, I ordered my groceries and picked them up In your face beer and wine!
Old 06-24-2018, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to have you with us newfuture - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 06-24-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
Yeah, weekends can be tough. But the way I drank, every day was tough.
Good for you for not drinking and planning ahead at the grocery store.
Just remember, you never have to drink again.

I'm glad you found us, you'll find a lot of support here. And congratulations on day five.
Best to you.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your Day 5 - we're glad to have you join us.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, very similar! Week sober now. Had a beech weekend with friends and too had sparking water, I felt a real sense of achievement. I have been very lucky my withdrawal subsided substantially after day 4/5. No puffy eyes now, I can get up at a sensible time and function. I dreaded the mornings, groggy, anxious, thinking when I could have that drink! I think these days it’s far more accepted to say “I don’t drink”! My partner has beer in the house but I was always a wine drinker so I use it as determination on my road to total abstinence. In fact after seeing the difference in me he’s even considering cutting back! We should inspire not feel embarrassed or ashamed, recognising we needed to find support and be the lovely sober people we are. Cheers to our sparking water!! 😊
Old 06-26-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Morning New and congratulations on (7?) days & making the decision to quit drinking Welcome to SR x

I agree with Aimee - it's far more common now that more people are deciding not to drink alcohol. I can categorically say that it gets better and better as the time goes on

Please let us know how you're getting on. Love Yix x
Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

re: grocery shopping - I live in an area popular with tourists in the summer. While I watch them load their food carts with cases of beer, all I can think of is how much they're about to pay at checkout!

Another good reason to quit...hang tough, you're doing great.