Notices

Making Today Day 1

Old 06-12-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making Today Day 1

Want to get back into recovery. Drinking is getting out of control again. Going to workout, then go to work and hopefully go to bed early so I can move past Day 1.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice job!

Hey there,
Exercise is a huge part of my recovery. I do quite a bit of hiking and camping to keep healthy and sober. What does your plan look like in recovery?
Garrison
Old 06-12-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're choosing sobriety.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One day at a time. You can do it
Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good, exercise is the key to so much of life. Sobriety is no exception, in fact I find getting in shape to be an essential part of my sobriety.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back FreedomCA - hope you can stick around with us here on SR. Have you given any thought as to what you might do differently this time around? You had mentioned last time that you were thinking of getting more involved in AA, did you do so?
Old 06-12-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Exercise is my upper fix. I can walk in the feeling a bit out of sync and walk out with a smile on my face. Also finding a support group in your area like AA etc. would help you tremendously. Stay with it and see just how good you can feel!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My life is in a slump right now. Things are just messy. Even was drinking after AA meetings which is unusual for me. One of my good friends said she has never seen me struggle like this. Going away to rehab would be a good idea but I’m not going to do it because I want to keep my work going after a leave of absence. Been exercising but still gaining weight because of drinking and eating. I will just keep trying and not give up.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
My life is in a slump right now. Things are just messy. Even was drinking after AA meetings which is unusual for me. One of my good friends said she has never seen me struggle like this. Going away to rehab would be a good idea but I’m not going to do it because I want to keep my work going after a leave of absence. Been exercising but still gaining weight because of drinking and eating. I will just keep trying and not give up.
Have you had a physical lately to include blood work? There may be something else off in your body causing some physical and or mental issues.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That’s a good idea. I have the blood work slip just need to do it.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you’re back freedomca. Best of luck in your day one!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It’s unfortunate. If you choose to drink again, you get addicted to the altered state of feeling and become less interested in the sober state. I am at work now and chose not to drink earlier because I have responsibilities. It’s difficult to get out of the cycle of addiction.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really is difficult to get out of the cycle of addiction. But, once you take that first firm step, it will get easier and you will be on your way. You can do this!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So far, so good. Chose not to buy alcohol on way home from work. Just had dinner. I can do this.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So much sad and disappointing stuff is going on in my life right now. I think when I was happy with my life 6-8 years ago getting sober was a lot easier. Now it’s harder because of how sad and difficult my life is. But I’ve realized that alcoholism does not have empathy for my situation and that things will go downhill fast.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back

So much sad and disappointing stuff is going on in my life right now. I think when I was happy with my life 6-8 years ago getting sober was a lot easier. Now it’s harder because of how sad and difficult my life is. But I’ve realized that alcoholism does not have empathy for my situation and that things will go downhill fast.
Something that a lot of the Rational Recoverers say is you can't make your sobriety contigent on being happy content or any of those other things.

It's got to be something that endures - bad times good times and everything in between

have you considered making a recovery action plan?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 06-12-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Right now everything is foggy, and I am just trying to hang in there until I go to bed in the next few hours. I read some of the Big Book and 12 and 12 and took my puppy on a sober walk. I’ve been here before. It seems impossible to not drink the first day but if done, things seem more optimistic. I should probably think about going to bed ASAP.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I decided to get out my computer and complete a Step 1. It feels really good to get it all out on paper. I wrote down all of the bad things that have happened to me in my life because of out of control drinking. I plan on resuming AA meetings tomorrow and being on the lookout for a sponsor. In the meantime, I know that working the steps helps, and I feel that I need help ASAP, and so I am not going to wait until I have a sponsor to work the steps. If a sponsor eventually wants me to start over with them, that is fine, but I still will work on the steps in my own way as an adjunct therapy. I think I am going to clean up around the house before going to bed, and then tomorrow will hopefully be a brighter day for me. Thank you all for the support in getting me back on track. It was very helpful to come back on this forum.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
Welcome back FreedomCA! I am sorry you have sad/disappointing stuff going on, I promise sobriety will make things better. You can do this!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes! Made it to Day 2. Had strong thoughts to drink toward the end of the night but was able to resist. Now in bed struggling to go to bed, which I know won’t be easy for some time.