Notices

23 days of Sobriety - few thoughts

Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

23 days of Sobriety - few thoughts

Friends, I will be completing 23 days of no drinking today. This would be my longest break in last 14 years of my drinking career . I would like to thank everyone here for your support and encouragement more so in times of need, when AV bugs me to pick up a drink.

Some random thoughts

1. The discomfort/anxiety caused by AV is super minor. Every day I ignore him, the lesser he bothers me

2. Days 4-15 were super hard for me. Again, Tuesdays and Fridays are bit harder (my usual drinking days)

3. I had a great 'Aaha' moment when i was driving to work last week. I felt somehow being able to enjoy music better, not get bugged by the Seattle traffic and less anxious in general. I realized I am 'in the moment' these days. I focus on what I am saying - the words, the enunciation, the intonation, no rambling.

4. Dreams are coming back and I feel refreshed even if I am sleeping less. (~7 hours)

5. I am consciously observing how media is glorifying alcohol. We should not get carried away by this absurd 'drink poison' ads

6. I can relax without alcohol. If I am feeling bored these days, I go for a walk, go to the gym, talk with my wife, help her with cutting veggies, teach my kids. I have much more time these days. No one needs to drink to kill time. My wife appreciates the help and she said - "you are awesome" the other day after giving me a hug!!! She is the best.

7. My good habits have increased. I do not miss brushing and flossing and Therabreath mouthwash before going to sleep. So I wake up with a fresh non alcoholic breath - a blessing

8. Few tips if AV attacks you:

a. Drink a cold can of sparkling water. The thicker mouthfeel and carbonation reduces the desire to drink

b. Note down the decision points where you can change your mind such as getting ready to buy alcohol, starting the car, entering the store and checking out. Try and change your AV mindset at any of these points. I kicked AV out right inside the Total Wine store and came back home empty handed!

c. If worst comes to worse and there are swarms of AV around you, just say - I can always drink tomorrow, not today. Do not give in. There's always a tomorrow.

d. Another way to kick AV out is to have an early dinner. Want to drink? Have a meal/heavy snack first. Mostly, your AV will be gone at the end of it. I now remember that folks who ate a lot in happy hours drank very less.

e. Ask / hint for support from friends and family. My wife saw me reading sobriety books and realized something. The other day when I
(my AV) asked her - "Can we go to Applebee's for dinner?" she realized I wanted to drink my two pints and said - "No way. I have already cooked". Earlier , she would have said yes. Let them know they have to support you - you cannot fight this monster alone.

f. Ask for permission here first before deciding to drink. Now and then, I get immense cravings but I come here first and try to get it (even though I have never gotten one yet ).

Hope some of these help you. Thank you for reading. Will be here for life.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really great post, neighbor. Thanks. Well done on the 23.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on over three weeks sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

great post - and congrats calmself

D
Old 06-11-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Those are some great tips, filling my belly always helps me stave off cravings. Awesome job on 23 days so far!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello, my situation is very similar to yours, i am on day 21 and feeling very much alive again, keeping myself busy working out and eating healthy. I love being in control of my thoughts and actions again after 30 years of binge drinking almost every weekend. Am not missing the blackouts for sure. Hope you can keep it up, i will be watching and checking in with you. good post btw..
Old 06-11-2018, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weak1 View Post
Hello, my situation is very similar to yours, i am on day 21 and feeling very much alive again, keeping myself busy working out and eating healthy. I love being in control of my thoughts and actions again after 30 years of binge drinking almost every weekend. Am not missing the blackouts for sure. Hope you can keep it up, i will be watching and checking in with you. good post btw..
All the very best! 21 days is a great achievement. We know the ups and downs now
Old 06-11-2018, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Really great post, neighbor. Thanks. Well done on the 23.
Thank you, neighbour!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
great post - and congrats calmself

D
Thanks Dee, There's something I might ask you in the next 1 or 2 days. Want to get your and others response.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on over three weeks sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Thanks, Least!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love all of this. And agree with most except I dream all the time, drunk or sober. I have very vivid dreams, have my whole life. And then when I’m sober, they get scarier.

So proud of you! That is an awesome amount of sober time! Best wishes. Stay in touch.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LunaBlue View Post
Love all of this. And agree with most except I dream all the time, drunk or sober. I have very vivid dreams, have my whole life. And then when I’m sober, they get scarier.

So proud of you! That is an awesome amount of sober time! Best wishes. Stay in touch.
Thank you! I hope to be here..forever