Notices

New to this.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this.

So i have browsed these boards a while...here i am now. I have to make a change and im scared to death. My drinking has escalated to out of control but im am going to try to fix it. I have tried to regulate it but that never works i have to stop and im not even sure how. Any tips?
Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lade550.

Just don't pick up a drink.

It will be uncomfortable and difficult - for a little while. This too will pass.

Go to bed sober tonight. Keep reading and keep posting!

Here's the Class of June thread, that's where I started; with others who are new to sobriety.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html
Old 06-12-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stop drinking one day at a time. It will be hard at first but will get easier.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Lade550,
Nice job in posting! That's a good start to walking down the path of recovery.
Here some of things that work for me:
1) Talk to at least one other Alcoholic a day
2) Attend AA meetings
3) Share in an AA meeting
4) Get a sponsor
5) Work the 12 Steps
6) Pray to your Higher Power
7) Meditate
8) Exercise
That is just a short list of things. I've found that i have to put sobriety at the top of the list in my life. Meaning if I’m feeling Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired (HALT) I should probably work on recovery rather then maybe go to a social event or some other function. Make recovery a priority.
Good Luck!
Garrison
Old 06-12-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Lade! I was scared too - but I should've been more scared of where drinking was taking me. I was becoming more & more dependent on it - it had taken over my life.

Reading & posting here really helped me with the anxiety I was feeling. I realized I never had to feel alone - the people here really understood and cared. You can do this.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Going to join that group...and yes going to go to bed without a drink. Thanks
Old 06-12-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Lade! I was scared too - but I should've been more scared of where drinking was taking me. I was becoming more & more dependent on it - it had taken over my life.

Reading & posting here really helped me with the anxiety I was feeling. I realized I never had to feel alone - the people here really understood and cared. You can do this.
Thats where i am the anxiety is destroying me. Im stuck in that vicious revolving door. Im ready to try to change it.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Lade - welcome to SR. The folks here are lovely - you'll find lots of useful info, tips, threads etc scattered around the place - also, if you're having a down day rather than reaching for the bottle, please reach for us instead. Well done for choosing to travel along the sober road - you won't regret it . Yix x
Old 06-12-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lade, what worked for me personally after twenty years of drinking was that I made a conscious decision: I decided that drinking was no longer a part of my life. Drinking was no longer an option. Whenever I wanted to drink, I said to myself: "I don't drink anymore". After a couple of months it became second nature.

However, everyone's different, so in the beginning I'd say you need to do whatever it takes to stay sober. Take one day or even one minute at a time, but whatever you do, don't drink.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Karate girl

Originally Posted by Lade550 View Post
Thats where i am the anxiety is destroying me. Im stuck in that vicious revolving door. Im ready to try to change it.
I was in that same place last week and today is day 4 for me with no alcohol. I was terrified of detox, but I set a day and stuck to it. Now I can honestly say that I am enjoying life - completely sober! You won't regret it, I promise. Posting here has helped me tremendously and I hope it helps you too
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
Hey Lade550,
Nice job in posting! That's a good start to walking down the path of recovery.
Here some of things that work for me:
1) Talk to at least one other Alcoholic a day
2) Attend AA meetings
3) Share in an AA meeting
4) Get a sponsor
5) Work the 12 Steps
6) Pray to your Higher Power
7) Meditate
8) Exercise
That is just a short list of things. I've found that i have to put sobriety at the top of the list in my life. Meaning if I’m feeling Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired (HALT) I should probably work on recovery rather then maybe go to a social event or some other function. Make recovery a priority.
Good Luck!
Garrison
Im going to try a local AA meeting tomorrow. Im nervous but excited to hopefully get some control back instead of the bottle controlling me.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StrengthNme View Post
I was in that same place last week and today is day 4 for me with no alcohol. I was terrified of detox, but I set a day and stuck to it. Now I can honestly say that I am enjoying life - completely sober! You won't regret it, I promise. Posting here has helped me tremendously and I hope it helps you too
Congratulations...thats what im going to do...it starts today!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Lade.

Congratulations on your decision. A whole new world awaits.

I'm new to recovery, but what worked for me was mostly this: realizing that (A) cravings are temporary, and (B) even the worst craving isn't nearly as bad as the emotional and physical damage that alcohol was causing. Once that message really sunk in, sobriety got much easier.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"We we're all sick and tired of being sick and tired"

Welcome - you're just like us. The thing we depended on for many years was being taken from us. What replaces it? These answers become clearer the more we go to meetings and get entrenched into AA. It was one of the most uncomfortable things I ever did. It's OK being uncomfortable. Just don't drink.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats and welcome Lade - it all starts with a day one

D
Old 06-12-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. My advice would be to spend a lot of time on this forum reading and learning from the millions of posts. The information and people here are fantastic. I have learned so much and you can to. Regarding the anxiety, it goes away when you quit (if its alcohol induced anxiety).