Notices

Living in fear

Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
I’m confused how you can have perfect liver function but still all that other stuff. Doesn’t that mean your liver is not functioning properly?
Yeah I'm very much confused by the testing stuff. All my bloods have been normal but I'm supposedly at stage 1 of fibrosis.

I'm going to see a new hepatologist next week who is supposed to be really good, so I'm hoping they will offer better answers.

I also found out recently that I have strep throat and may have had it for a long time without knowing, which could explain some symptoms. Taking antibiotics right now. It's been a very long 3 months.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Herbie1991 View Post
I feel like I wrote this!!!!!!!!
I have severe health anxiety and I genuinely started drinking to help me cope and help me sleep. I’m scared of dying yet I could slowly kill my self with alcohol? What the ??

Seriously talk to me if you need reassurance that there is someone out there JUST LIKE YOU!!! It’s so draining and everyday I wake up thinking ‘this is the day I’m going to die’ and it’s always of liver failure yet I still drink? To make myself feel better. Vicious cycle. The shame is I was pregnant for 9 months and didn’t touch a drop and was he happiest I’ve ever been!!!
Hi Herbie - that is great to hear. Most of my friends/family just dismiss the hypochondria like get over it, go talk to somebody. Then again they don't really understand how badly it affects you.

I have only had one relapse about 3 weeks into this whole thing. I'm just more scared of liver failure/cirrhosis etc. than I am of anything else now.

If you were really happy not drinking that should be good motivation to stay dry now, no?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I would have to disagree with that. I have severe anxiety and am on a benzo as I medically need it.
Though as berrybean mentions, it's common for alcoholics to lie to their docs about their drinking and they may prescribe medications they otherwise wouldn't.
As long as they have been 100% honest about their alcoholism, there is nothing wrong with taking a doctor prescribed, medically necessary medication.
I have been very up-front with all the doctors I have seen. I want to give them the most/best info possible so they can help me the best. It does concern me that many doctors just hand out RXs like candy.

I have talked to maybe 25-30 nurses since this started and literally like 1 or 2 have really taken the time to listen and understand everything that's been going on with me. It's extremely frustrating to feel like you may be dying and the person who's supposed to help is just waiting for the end of their shift or whatever.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Porcetta View Post
I ended up with yellow eyeballs
Sorry if this is personal but was this a permanent thing? Did it eventually go away or get better at all?

I just freaked myself out again tonight with the turmeric and now I'm curious about jaundice.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by timm84 View Post
I have been very up-front with all the doctors I have seen. I want to give them the most/best info possible so they can help me the best. It does concern me that many doctors just hand out RXs like candy.

I have talked to maybe 25-30 nurses since this started and literally like 1 or 2 have really taken the time to listen and understand everything that's been going on with me. It's extremely frustrating to feel like you may be dying and the person who's supposed to help is just waiting for the end of their shift or whatever.
I told my doctor about my alcoholism and how I want to avoid any mood altering medications. There are lists online regarding mood altering drugs to avoid in recovery. I always plan to reference it before picking up medications. I also had a surgery where I opted for local anesthesia instead of going under. The nurse really wanted to push for me to take some sort of pain meds. When I told her I'm a recovering alcoholic and I want to avoid this stuff if possible everything changed for the positive. She had family members with addiction problems. Anyway, everything worked out. You may find that quitting drinking is the best cure for anxiety (it may take awhile).