Notices

Irregular heartbeats.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irregular heartbeats.

Sitting at 101 days sober. One of the symptoms that keeps hanging around are these heart palpitations. I've been to the doc several times, had blood work, x-rays, ekgs... All normal. I had anxiety issues while drinking and definitely have anxiety in paws. I work out four or five times a week. 39 years old. Never have any chest pains or anything just these weird skipped irregular beats.

Anybody out there ever experience these things? Just really bothersome. As of today I'm cutting out all caffeine for awhile.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
J50

I've had those. Had them checked out too with no issues. I most recently had them when I was on vacation a couple months ago. My diet was down the tubes and I wonder if they were nutrition related? I've read that low potassium can cause them. At your stage, there could be some vitamin or mineral deficiances (which are common after quitting). I wouldn't stress to much if you got a clean bill of health. They should go away. Have you ever had them prior to quitting?
Old 06-09-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I get them. I also have been checked out, had a heart scan etc, clean bill of health. They are almost certainly stress or anxiety related. I also suffer from anxiety like you describe, I had anxiety when drinking and have had it a bit with PAWS although it has practically gone now.

I find I got the irregular beats or palpitations / skipped beats when I was stressed, but sometimes they'd just happen randomly. I was told by a Dr that it is perfectly normal, we are after all, a functioning biological system and sometimes little skipped beats and irregularities happen as that is just how we are made.

I still get them from time to time and they freak me out, but I actually remember them happening to me as a teenager, so I now realise that they won't hurt me and just get on with it.

Cutting out caffeine is a good idea. I was certainly more likely to suffer the skipped beats if I had a coffee. I now don't drink any caffeine at all. Caffeine also plays havoc with anxiety levels too. Best avoided.

I'm 35.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
J50

If your anxiety is high, caffeine may make you feel more anxious but why do you think caffeine is the problem? Have you recently starting consuming it?
Old 06-09-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been drinking more caffeine than I did when I was on the booze. I only had the palpitations when i would get really ****** and coming down. It's just kind of odd, kind of scary at the same time.

Cutting my caffeine intake is something I can do immediately without too much discomfort. Getting thru the other paws I have going on... Well that's just something time will heal.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Justin61571 View Post
I have been drinking more caffeine than I did when I was on the booze. I only had the palpitations when i would get really ****** and coming down. It's just kind of odd, kind of scary at the same time.

Cutting my caffeine intake is something I can do immediately without too much discomfort. Getting thru the other paws I have going on... Well that's just something time will heal.
I had lingering symptoms and panic attacks for 3 months. I'm coming up on 7 months and everything is so much better now.
Everyone's timeframe is different, but hang in there. It WILL get better!
Old 06-09-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by J50 View Post
I've had those. Had them checked out too with no issues. I most recently had them when I was on vacation a couple months ago. My diet was down the tubes and I wonder if they were nutrition related? I've read that low potassium can cause them. At your stage, there could be some vitamin or mineral deficiances (which are common after quitting). I wouldn't stress to much if you got a clean bill of health. They should go away. Have you ever had them prior to quitting?
Definitely this ^^^ on the potassium. I have been to the emergency room more than once with scary chest pains and palpitations only to find out i had low potassium, which will also make you anxious.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had palpitations horribly when i was drinking. However, after a couple of weeks sober they dissipated. I do think a mineral supplement helped.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Between smoking and drinking, yes I had flutters/palpitations frequently. Over that last few years and no tobacco, no alcohol I no longer have them. Smart play on having Doc in on the action.......
Old 06-09-2018, 09:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have them as well. I have been told I have PAT. Have no idea what that entails. I take metoprolol and it helps but I really need to see a new dr.
I had them when stopped drinking for the week but when I got them towards the weekend I drank and it seemed to go away again until I stopped drinking again.
For now I haven’t had an episode for a couple of weeks only after the argument with my spouse. I don’t like them.

Last edited by LivinInLV; 06-09-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Errors.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have had those. I went through the treadmill stress test, wore a heart monitor for 24 hours and had echocardiogram completed. The findings were called PVCs and I guess a lot of people have them. I wasn't having them necessarily tied to when I drank. My first experience with them was a few years back when I had extended time of sobriety. I have anxiety and have had a few panic attacks before. The doc did say that alcohol, caffeine, certain chemicals in foods would aggravate the condition.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

PVCs, yep. Freaked my doctor out through his stethoscope. Immediate ultrasound exam and stress test. So, he brings an intern around while I'm on the treadmill doing four miles an hour and my heart is perfectly rhythmic. "Get off there and out of here!"

I knew about them for years before he found them. Just little extra heartbeats whenever I was stressed and immobile. A simple walk around the block would still them.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was getting heart palpitations worse and worse at the end of my drinking. They decreased significantly to a good point by around 2 months after quitting. However, not completely. Then after quit smoking they decreased even more. Then quit caffeine and even chocolate! Also used magnesium supplements. Anyway, finally went to cardiologist. Echocardiogram perfectly normal. Then 24 hour holter where I drank coffee, ate chocolate and exercised. I noticed 1 palpation (super glad to get at least 1). Dr reviewed and said I had a few PACs (similar to PVC). Absolutely nothing to worry about. My goal now is to forget I have a heart. I think this is what it's like for most normal people. I even drink caffeine eat chocolate again and just don't worry about it. I think I was in the past with my mind trying to will my heart into beating normal. What a waste of time and mental energy!