Notices

Gabapentin for withdrawal

Old 06-07-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gabapentin for withdrawal

Has anyone been on gabapentin for withdrawal? It’s used as an off label for alcohol withdrawal. I was in the hospital for detox and they wanted me to try it but I was leary. Now I’m thinking I should have tried it as the naltrexone gave me terrible side effects. I’m really on my last leg here after heavy drinking on and off for twenty years. Anyone experience you can share with this, please share! Thank you!
Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience to share.
Have you run the idea past your Dr?

D
Old 06-08-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’d be careful with gabapentin, it is an anti-seizure med and should never be taken with alcohol.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never heard of gabapentin being used for withdrawal. I've heard of it being used for nerve pain and stuff like that.

Naltrexone is also not for withdrawal but is supposed to help suppress cravings. I have heard it has nasty side effects for some.

If you are still in withdrawal call your dr or go to the ER. Usually a short course of benzo's are used for withdrawal purposes.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I have been on Gabapentin since I quit drinking in Dec. it was part of my outpatient detox program and it helps prevent seizures - I was at high risk since my withdrawal was so awful. I am still on it as it should help calm the brain and rebuild gaba receptors although no proof to that. I think it helps. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Gabapentin is used off-label for alcohol dependence and has been shown to reduce the number of drinking days compared to placebo, and to reduce the quantity of alcohol consumed by people who did drink while taking it. In a typical study, 4 out of 100 people stayed abstinent on placebo, while 17 out of 100 stayed abstinent on gabapentin.

So it's not a miracle cure or a magic bullet by any means, but it does help some people with their recovery. As with any medical intervention, discuss with your doctor whether this approach is right for you. Gabapentin may have serious side effects (balance problems, fatigue, swelling, weight gain, suicidal ideation), so it is certainly not for everyone.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used it for nerve pain. It didn't really help me with anything pain related. I had zero side effects from it. It was kind of like taking nothing for me.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was on it for a little while for anxiety, though it also often is prescribed for alcohol withdrawal and a bazillion other off label uses.
I would get yourself a solid recovery plan in place first if you haven't already. That is the key to putting down the bottle for good, with medications as a solid add-on if needed.
Rehab sounds like it would be a place to highly consider coming off a hospitalized detox.