SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   my partner has serious health problems, is this all to do with drinking? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428598-my-partner-has-serious-health-problems-all-do-drinking.html)

sbs2018 06-07-2018 02:54 PM

my partner has serious health problems, is this all to do with drinking?

Hi,
My partner has admitted to having a drink problem, he's been secretly drinking but I recently found out. He's also been having massive health problems such as passing/blacking out, mood changes, panic attacks (although the panic attacks have been since he has started cutting down) weight loss etc.
We have been trying to attend support clinics but because of the panic attacks he has been unable to travel (we don't drive)
I don't know what to do and am at my wit's end, I'm currently on anti d's, I'm trying to support him but being the only one working and running the household I don't know how to proceed! We have asked for help but it only goes so far. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Anna 06-07-2018 03:03 PM

Welcome! Does your husband want to stop drinking? If he does, then we can offer support for him. For yourself, you might like to check out AlAnon as a support for you, and also we have a forum for Friends & Families on this board.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ly-alcoholics/

Has your husband talked to his dr about passing out and blacking out? I don't know if it has to do with drinking but it's definitely something to talk to his dr about. As for the panic attacks, they may or may not be due to drinking and this is also something for him to discuss with his dr. There are healthy ways to deal with anxiety and panic attacks.

TIPS FOR DEALING WITH ANXIETY (the American Assoc for Anxiety & Depression)

Take a Time-Out. Try some yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem can help clear your head.

Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand. Limit caffeine.

Get enough sleep/rest. Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Use an iPod or exercise buddy to help you stick to your routine.

Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly. Belly-Breathing: Sit comfortably with shoulders, head and neck relaxed. Breath in slowly through your nose so that your stomach expands. Tighten stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale slowly through your mouth.

Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn’t possible, be proud of however close you get.

Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?

Welcome humour. A good laugh goes a long way.

Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.

Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.

Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school or something else you can’t identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed. Look for a pattern.

Talk to someone. Tell friends/family you’re feeling overwhelmed and let them know how they can help. Talk to a professional.

Books

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power
Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks
Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself
Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety

least 06-07-2018 06:54 PM

Welcome to the family. :grouphug: I hope you can get some support for yourself. Living with a drinker can be hard. :( Your partner's health problems might be related to drinking. Looks like a visit to his doctor is in order. I hope he can find the motivation to stop drinking.

Porcetta 06-07-2018 08:14 PM

Do doctors do house calls in your area?

As crazy as this sounds, our local GP has stared doing skype-type consults.

-2 options die someone with ++anxiety