Notices

AD whilst in PAWS

Old 06-07-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AD whilst in PAWS

Hi

Anyone stopped alcohol and started an antidepressant?

Also if after 5 weeks off alcohol you still feel rubbish is this PAWS?

Please talk away
Old 06-07-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Leo,

I did not start AD (not for me)
I had PAWS on and off for 3 months.

I found things to do, work out, walk, bike, paint, music, binge on TV.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

PAWS was bad for me for a solid 13 months. Symptoms that come after the acute withdrawal phase get lumped together as PAWS.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on ADs for years but they didn't help much when I was drinking. Now that I'm sober they work as they should. I had PAWS symptoms the first year or so but I knew what they were and just worked thru them.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think there is a thread on AD (s) here, it may be at the alcoholism forum. Lots of helpful posts. I was on them and it worked great but we all have different bran chemistry. What works for one person might not work, at all, for someone else.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. Yeh i think i have been mistaking side effects of these meds for 2 years, when really it was PAWS/ withdrawal.

Each time i started a med i stopped drinking and felt crap for weeks. Maybe it was PAWS and not the med making me feel crap.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Almost 2 months from a drink, longest in my life since I started almost 20 years ago, I just don't understand what PAWS are. Aren't they really just underlying neuro/psych issues? Is there any science behind the idea that months after drinking we would suffer some kind of withdrawl symptom?
Old 06-07-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Almost 2 months from a drink, longest in my life since I started almost 20 years ago, I just don't understand what PAWS are. Aren't they really just underlying neuro/psych issues? Is there any science behind the idea that months after drinking we would suffer some kind of withdrawl symptom?
Drugs can stimulate certain receptors in your brain. This causes your brain to adjust it's chemistry as it no longer needs to produce those chemicals as the drug is now taking care of that job. The alcohol is providing the stimulation your brain needs in these regards now so it continues to operate somewhat normally. Think of something like GABA and stress, your brain produces less to help with the stress because alcohol is doing the lifting now.

Take the alcohol away and that stimulation stops leaving your brain in an imbalance.

It takes a while for your brain chemistry to adjust back to where it needs to be, this is the effect of PAWS.

By taking away the drug you've upended your brain's chemistry. If you've been drinking for a long time it takes a while for things to swing back to normal.

Stress, apathy, anger management, emotions, all take a hit from this
Old 06-07-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Less gravity - Do you still feel rubbish 2 months in??
Old 06-07-2018, 03:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know Gabapentin mimics gaba, just as alcohol does and boy my friend came off gabapentin and what a mess for about 3 months plus.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the best link I know on PAWs what it is and what we can do about it/

https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

I didn't really start to feel good until 90 days - things got a lot better after 30 tho - hope you find that too Leo

D
Old 06-07-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leo1984 View Post
Less gravity - Do you still feel rubbish 2 months in??
No, not at all. Unless I eat too much ice cream in a given sitting, but that's a different story.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

With ad's you get the side effects basically straightaway but not therapeutic effect for 4-6 weeks (although everyone is diff).
Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I personally think i started AD due to symptoms of PAWS. I think i need to get over PAWS and heal. Think this is why im having a bad time with AD as i dont really need them.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
PAWS isn't something recognized or diagnosed. PAWS basically is the growing pains of learning how to adjust to dealing with life without running and hiding behind a bottle.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
PAWS isn't something recognized or diagnosed. PAWS basically is the growing pains of learning how to adjust to dealing with life without running and hiding behind a bottle.
Right.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So are you saying my lethergy, confusion and anxiety are all due to not having a drink in my hand?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's not what PAWS really is though. It's more than that.

It's literally a chemical imbalance that needs to correct itself.

Addiction can cause your brains chemistry to change overtime because of the drug, when you take the drug away your brain isn't firing on all four cylinders anymore due to the chemical change.

Post-acute withdrawal syndrome happens as a result of chemical imbalances in the brain. When someone abuses drugs or alcohol for a prolonged period of time, their mind becomes reliant on these substances to produce certain chemicals to function correctly. Once the drugs have been detoxed from the body, the brain will take time to correct the chemical imbalances and relearn to function without the assistance of drugs or alcohol.

I quit opioids a bit over four years ago and PAWS drove me insane with that for a solid 18 months. I had it bad with alcohol, I don't know if I had it worse after cleaning up from the pills prior. I'm just coming out of PAWS now at 16 months. The last two months have seen huge improvements but it still comes in waves. I was sauced for around 25 years.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
That's not what PAWS really is though. It's more than that.

It's literally a chemical imbalance that needs to correct itself.
Actually no one knows "what" PAWS is really. It is mainly a term that was coined by an individual from the recovery community to explain the wide range of potential symptoms that recovering addicts have. Certainly the brain chemistry of a recovering addict might be different than that of a non addict, but there is zero evidence that "PAWS" is a neurologcal or physical syndrome/disease/etc.

What we do know for sure is that lots of recovering addicts have periods of time that the feel bad - depressed or just generally pretty awful. And we also know that there are things that can be done to help treat/lessen those periods. For example, if you have bouts of depression like symptoms, you can see a mental health professional to help with depession ( or anxiety, or whatever you might have ). If you have a lack of energy, you can take a look at your diet or your exercise program.

However, there is no direct cure for "PAWS" itself because it's not a diagnosable condition from either a physical or psychological standpoint.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

PAWS can be chemical in our brains. If your neurotransmitters are not firing because your brain thinks alcohol takes care of that job all you can do is wait it out.

PAWS basically is the growing pains of learning how to adjust to dealing with life without running and hiding behind a bottle.

You can do all the "learning how to adjust to dealing with life without running and hiding behind a bottle" in the world but if your brain chemistry is slow to adjust and totally out of whack you're still going to be dealing with PAWS none the less. As someone who's suffered from a couple of bad bouts with it I don't find this particularly helpful. Understanding that it's chemical helped me be able to wait it out without too much stress. For 7-8 months my brain pretty much was a piece of mush that just didn't work.

I've completely learned how to live free of my opioid addiction, I don't even think about it outside of being proud that I beat it. I have absolutely zero desire to touch any of that.

I still have insomnia from that withdrawal over four years later. PAWS can be something, not everyone is going to have extremes and it does effect everyone different however if it hits you it can be unnerving and understanding what was going of was pivotal in my recovery.