Notices

AD whilst in PAWS

Old 06-08-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have no experience in opioid addiction, but have you been regularly seeing an addiction therapist? I do with mine for my alcoholism.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

No, I'm not seeing anyone outside of my neurologist and primary dr. I will have 16 months sober from alcohol tomorrow though. I'm really feeling good these days but the first year was rough.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So my round up of this thread.

Alcohol mimics GABA in the brain. Its produces a calming effect. After years of filling your brain with alcohol, your brain stops working by itself and it relies on alcohol to provide a calming effect and activate the reward centre. When you remove alcohol after years of bingeing on alcohol the brain has become dependant.

This is were nuerotransmitters come in. Once the alcohol has gone, your receptors remain in a dampened down state and require time to begin working like they once used to. I.e providing you with cognitive functions, memory, anxiety, fatigue etc etc. ALL the symptoms of what we call PAWS.

Its exactly the same with any drug that gets through the blood brain barrier. Which ever receptors the drugs binds to it will eventually down regulate after continued use of the drug. Once the drug is gone the receptors remain down regulated for a period of time, until normal functioning returns.

Antidepressants been a good example of this process.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leo1984 View Post
So my round up of this thread.

Alcohol mimics GABA in the brain. Its produces a calming effect. After years of filling your brain with alcohol, your brain stops working by itself and it relies on alcohol to provide a calming effect and activate the reward centre. When you remove alcohol after years of bingeing on alcohol the brain has become dependant.

This is were nuerotransmitters come in. Once the alcohol has gone, your receptors remain in a dampened down state and require time to begin working like they once used to. I.e providing you with cognitive functions, memory, anxiety, fatigue etc etc. ALL the symptoms of what we call PAWS.

Its exactly the same with any drug that gets through the blood brain barrier. Which ever receptors the drugs binds to it will eventually down regulate after continued use of the drug. Once the drug is gone the receptors remain down regulated for a period of time, until normal functioning returns.

Antidepressants been a good example of this process.
That's it in a nutshell but GABA was just one example. The brain is a complex system of chemical reactions. For me the knowledge of this helped me cope with the symptoms and helped me put it into a "sickness" perspective. When you are sick you take care of yourself to let your body heal as it likes to do.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How long is a guide to start feeling like your brain is working again and not clouded.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leo1984 View Post
How long is a guide to start feeling like your brain is working again and not clouded.

That varies for everyone, the clouded brain is troubling but I learned to deal with it. For me it was like I feel the thought forming but then it's just gone it never makes it to my consciousness.

Personally for me things really changed around the 13-14 month mark.

It started lessening around 9 months but in the last few months there's a clearity in my head that I've not felt since I was young before starting down the path that lead me to this place. It's amazing and well worth the struggle. Today marks 16 months for me. I made this thread at my 1 year mark and touch on PAWS a little bit there:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ber-today.html (1 Year Sober Today :))