SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi. I’m an Alcoholic (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428546-hi-i-m-alcoholic.html)

Choppo 06-06-2018 01:49 AM

Hi. I’m an Alcoholic

I’m only just getting used to saying that, but it’s the truth. I’ve been in denial for some 27 years (I’m 47), I knew it, but would never admit it.

First AA meeting was 6 days ago.

WOW! I’ve been playing GOD for my whole life. Lost everything twice playing that roll. So looking forward to the journey ahead.

Would like to just introduce myself 👋

Yixi 06-06-2018 01:55 AM

Hi Choppo and welcome. Lovely to have you here with us :) x

Dee74 06-06-2018 02:25 AM

Welcome aboard Choppo :)

D

Choppo 06-06-2018 03:00 AM

Thankyou all, it means lots to me just to have somewhere to listen, learn and talk until I get to tomorrow’s meeting. Thankyou again

Yixi 06-06-2018 03:02 AM

Hi Choppo - I'm so pleased that you found SR. It's been the answer to my prayers too :) The people here are lovely, the info is solid and the welcome is genuine. Hope to see you around x

halvso 06-06-2018 03:08 AM

Hi choppo, and welcome! Glad you found SR. You'll find so much love and support here.

FreeOwl 06-06-2018 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Choppo (Post 6918325)
I’m only just getting used to saying that, but it’s the truth. I’ve been in denial for some 27 years (I’m 47), I knew it, but would never admit it.

First AA meeting was 6 days ago.

WOW! I’ve been playing GOD for my whole life. Lost everything twice playing that roll. So looking forward to the journey ahead.

Would like to just introduce myself 👋

Welcome to the best chapter of your life, Choppo.

:)

:grouphug:

Gottalife 06-06-2018 03:47 AM

Welcome Choppo. Glad you joined us.

Rar 06-06-2018 03:52 AM

Welcome to SR Choppo. SR is changing my life for the better is so many ways - not just sobriety. Folks are a huge support to me. SR can help you too. Read the threads and post as often as you like. Looking forward to getting to know you.

least 06-06-2018 09:23 AM

Welcome to the family. :grouphug: I hope our support can help you get sober for good. :)

lessgravity 06-06-2018 05:08 PM

Welcome Chop. Lots of support and wisdom here.

So what's your plan to get and stay sober?

fini 06-06-2018 05:12 PM

welcome, Choppo, and i'm an alcoholic, too:)

Hevyn 06-06-2018 05:35 PM

It's great to meet you, Choppo. You are never alone - we understand like no one else can. Welcome.

Tonymblue 06-06-2018 08:27 PM

Hey Choppo. Glad you’re here.

Maudcat 06-06-2018 08:46 PM

Welcome. Lots of support here.

Choppo 06-06-2018 11:40 PM

Thankyou all so much! ��❤️

Originally Posted by lessgravity (Post 6919017)
Welcome Chop. Lots of support and wisdom here. So what's your plan to get and stay sober?

Simple answer to a very complex thought process over the past week is - to follow the AA 12 Steps, diligently, with complete understanding of each step and act humble * I’ve just been to my 6th meeting and plan to go back tomorrow. Ramp it up to 2 per day once I can get my routine set with kids etc. For the record I started this journey 11 or so days ago after a 4 day bender, i’m a complete atheist/agnostic or whatever you want to call it. I still have no time for organised Religion �� AA is so completely not about Religion, it gets a really, really bad wrap.

The only requirement to join AA is ‘a desire to stop drinking alcohol’. That’s it, end of story.

*this is ****** weird.... i had just typed out a 30min blurb about ME and MY journey on my iPad. The iPad, randomly turned off. It never does that.....‘Everything happens for a reason’ - my Higher Power just told me to stop bragging and playing God, and to be humble.

lessgravity 06-07-2018 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Choppo (Post 6919234)
Thankyou all so much! 🙏❤️

Simple answer to a very complex thought process over the past week is - to follow the AA 12 Steps, diligently, with complete understanding of each step and act humble * I’ve just been to my 6th meeting and plan to go back tomorrow. Ramp it up to 2 per day once I can get my routine set with kids etc. For the record I started this journey 11 or so days ago after a 4 day bender, i’m a complete atheist/agnostic or whatever you want to call it. I still have no time for organised Religion 😉 AA is so completely not about Religion, it gets a really, really bad wrap.

The only requirement to join AA is ‘a desire to stop drinking alcohol’. That’s it, end of story.

*this is fkn weird.... i had just typed out a 30min blurb about ME and MY journey on my iPad. The iPad, randomly turned off. It never does that.....‘Everything happens for a reason’ - my Higher Power just told me to stop bragging and playing God, and to be humble.

Well there you go! Nice plan and nice work.

ChloeRose63 06-07-2018 08:53 AM

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us!
You will find a lot of support here!

tonggau 06-07-2018 08:59 AM

Welcome Choppo!

Choppo 06-08-2018 12:05 AM

Hey guys. Just a quick check in. Went to my arvo meeting (7th or 8th?), it was great. Starting to work out some are better than others, but meh, I just keep going because I feel at home with other Alcoholics. Something about these people I want.

Anyway, pretty stoked as i think I found a Sponsor!!! Let me rephrase that.... a Sponsor found me......or my Higher Power made it happen..... or something.. Whatever, it happened, I won’t over think it.

It was the chairperson guy, we just really clicked and he gave me his number (not in a weird way lol) and after a chat said he’d give me a hand if I wanted. ‘Im up till midnight, just don’t ring me pissed’ he said. I laughed heartedly and said I’d never do that. Anyway I jumped at the opportunity! Wow, I feel so grateful.

Lots more to write but I’ll stay humble as best possible. Thanks for reading ��