Notices

Very new to any of this...

Old 06-05-2018, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very new to any of this...

Hi, I have never had an issue with alcohol before, and am not sure I do now, but I find myself in a spot where I am worried about withdrawal if I stop, even though I am never getting drunk.

Quick backstory. I am a 46 year old male.

Been drinking since I was 21, but always take it or leave it social drinker.

Never have thought I had an issue and typically would only have a couple of drinks out with friends once or twice a week.

I have never craved alcohol, and don't now. I would not drink for months, and never even occurred to me I would have an issue.

About a year ago, I got engaged, and she lived on the east coast, (I live on the west coast.) Before she moved out, we would talk on the phone for hours and I would have a few drinks while talking, as would she. Before this I had NEVER drank at home.

Still no issues yet.

When she moved out to me, things went south very fast and, lets say I asked her to leave. She did, and this had nothing to do with drinking.

My job situation changed shortly after that, and for bout 6 months I was off work through no fault of my own, (Big severance package, etc, etc.). Just had to wait for the next opportunity to come up, which is very soon.

Somehow, I found myself drinking at home every night. I don't drink very fast, and one vodka soda will take me 1-1.5 hours to drink. Problem is, I realized 6 months later I have been doing that for 8 hours a day, while working on potential future projects at home on my computer.

Like I said, I never get drunk, but I am sure my drinks are double a standard drink, and it has just become a habit out of boredom from lack of work.

I have cut down on how much I have been drinking, but am scared I will go through withdrawals if I stop for a few weeks.

I want to go back to just having a drink or two with friends. Or just working on a big project for a few months and don't have time to drink.

Like I said, I have never craved alcohol, and I don't now. I am just very concerned about stopping and what health effects this will have.

Anyone have any suggestions or been in a similar situation?

Thanks so much.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey there.... welcome!

sounds to me what I hear you saying is "I'm concerned about my drinking".

Also...... "My drinking is negatively impacting what I'd like my life to be"

And maybe a bit of "I'm aware of using alcohol as an escape".

You may or may not be an 'alcoholic' - really, only you can decide that.

You may or may not experience any symptoms of withdrawal.

In both cases, the best way to learn what's true for YOU is to give not drinking a shot.

Are you willing to try going a week without alcohol?

If you're concerned about withdrawal - you should also speak with your doctor about it.

You've found a good place to land for support in sobriety.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, and I concur with FreeOwl. A break never hurts anyone, and if you are indeed NOT an alcoholic, it should be more than feasible, if not easy.

Best to you - perhaps read around the forum and look for the SIMILARITIES in other people's stories to help you think through your own condition.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome to SR, fxguy. There is nothing I can add to what FreeOwl is saying. You state that you have cut down on your drinking. Has that been difficult for you? Do you find yourself going back to the previous amounts? For me, whenever I tried to cut back or moderate, I always returned to my previously high levels. Have you tried to stop before? Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have had friends commit to 90 days and if they had no problem with it, then they proceeded however they chose. If they could not hold out for 90 days, they knew a problem was afoot.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"Somehow, I found myself drinking at home every night. I don't drink very fast, and one vodka soda will take me 1-1.5 hours to drink. Problem is, I realized 6 months later I have been doing that for 8 hours a day, while working on potential future projects at home on my computer."

If you have been drinking 1 double vodka every 1.5 hours for 8 hours every day, that's roughly 8 standard drinks a day. That's actually quite a bit.

If you are going to take a week trial break promise yourself your ARE NOT GOING TO DRINK. If find yourself doing it anyway that is a sure sign of an issue.

Talking to a doc can't hurt. Some will prescribe you some meds just in case things start to turn south.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Different boat but hope it helps

I have been drinking 24 to 28 beers and quit cold turkey.. withdrawal was bad for 3 days and then I felt like a new man.. advice to you is quit and never look back.. there is nothing positive with alcohol. Drink a red bull with your buddieS. You will wake up feeling better than they do. It's amazing after day 30 how much better you look and your skin looks..