Notices

Back Again

Old 06-05-2018, 01:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wombling Free

Back Again

I have been a member of this forum for 8 years now and although I have been sober for 2 weeks I don't consider myself sober.

I have just got out of hospital for the third time this year suffering from Diverticulosis. The meds I am on are making me physically sick, but I will get better and that is when I become my own worst enemy.

I know for the sake of my life I have to quit the booze. I have been in and out of aa for years but I honestly don't like it, although my best friend is in it with 22 years of sobriety I have never got the hang of it. I just can't relate to the Higher Power part of the programme no matter how hard I try.

So I thought that while I am not tempted by alcohol right now I would come back here and see if anyone has any ideas as how to help me stay sober. I know it's all down to me, I really DO know that, but a little friendly advice (or maybe not so friendly) may do me some good.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Higher Power

The willingness that it shows you just being able to admit to yourself that you have a problem shows you that there is a greater force at work and with time I'm sure you will find your higher power. It's going to be individually unique. Like me I'm an addict so I picture my higher power as that guy who will come pick me up when I'm down and out with a carload of woman and hooks me up with a briefcase of cash who wouldn't want that guy as a higher power right, so to each their own and best of luck your on the right path just keep going...
Old 06-05-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think people overthink the higher power sometimes. I’m not religious... don’t pray, go to church, or talk to an imaginary guy in the sky. I am logical, and due to other circumstances in my life that shaped who I am and how I think and perceive things, I require reality validation in my life. One could surmise from this that I don’t ascribe to “higher power” stuff... yet my logical mind also sees that it works. So where is it? What is it?

It’s simple, to me. Sitting here on the couch drinking coffee next to my dog, the sun is coming in the window, sideways in the sky, offering early light. My dog has the most adorable nose. It’s still and calm. I’m still and calm. I had a good workout yesterday, and my legs feel strong. I am hopeful for today because for the last almost 22 months I haven’t had a drink, and in that hope is something larger than a small physical action of not putting a bottle to my mouth. My dogs nose is just a nose, but because I love her, it’s delightful to me. The sun is just the same sun in the same sky, but because it gives me life it’s a miracle.

I feel like a higher power is a choice we make, of how we see and perceive. The AV in my head didn’t want to stop drinking but I chose to see differently. By choosing that perception, I chose a higher power.

I think it’s there for everyone, it’s possibility, love, hope, and forgiveness. Or, for many, God. I don’t see any differentiation. This is how I understand it, and that’s the genius of the phrase “A higher power as I understand it”.

-b
Old 06-05-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

womble, there are many other recovery programs available. AA isnt the only way https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did)).
Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Womble, sorry to hear about your medical issues. Wish you the best with those.

Why do you want to be sober? Perhaps defining and exploring why you want sobriety will give you some leverage.

No HP here for me, no AA - like other's expressed, there's a lot of different ways to get and be and stay sober.

Have you looked into AVRT and/or Rational Recovery?
Old 06-06-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Womble? Looked into any other programmes?

D
Old 06-06-2018, 04:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you looked at the link TomSteve posted. It's full of good information.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Wombling Free

Thanks for the comments, all welcome.

I want to get sober or I fear I will die, I have enough health issues already without adding alcohol into the equation. I am no spring chicken anymore at approaching 64!!
Old 06-06-2018, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Womble, I had victory over my AV today by replacing the thoughts of alcohol with the remembering of what I have read here from others who struggle as we do. It was suggested to me to keep posting. It is a great way to get help from others. My higher power is knowing that I am not in this alone. I can come here when I am weak and leave feeling strong.