Notices

Starting off on day 2

Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting off on day 2

Thanks for the words of encouragement from everyone that responded to my post yesterday morning.

Yesterday I completed day 1 of sobriety. It feels rough knowing I threw almost 5 months away, but I've decided not to dwell on that and think of how to move forward knowing I am not a person who can drink.

I choose sobriety because I know it is what works for me and my life. There is no other way for me.

The voice inside my head got bold, and I decided one glass of wine was ok. I had three in under an hour, then spent the following 24 hours drinking anything I could get my hands on. Once I start, it will always be that way for me.

I was at a point in my sobriety where I really did think it was possible. I'm stubborn and wanted to prove I was different. I could go back out and drink responsibly. I. am. not. different. And I am ok with that.

During the time I had built up sober, I learned so much about myself, and it is so exciting to do that. I mean, guys, I like kayaking and I have a bit of a green thumb. You know what I had before sobriety? A trash can filled with empty vodka bottles, a constantly puffy and bloated face, a whirlwind of emotions that made me out of control, and an empty bank account. Now I have hobbies. Real ones!

I refuse to look at this slip up as defeat or as a failure. Instead, I look at it as a stumble in my process to sustained recovery, and I will learn from it.

Here is to day number two, and here is to not getting down about it, but learning from it.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today is a new day!! Congrats on day 2 of your sobriety!! You got this!
Old 06-04-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's the spirit!

I was also under the delusion that I could go back to "normal" drinking and as you know, each time we go back things seem to get worse.

So glad your back on top and staying positive. I believe that if you truly learn from a slip up, you can prevent them in the future!

Awesome job
Old 06-04-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jack! I can relate ~ I'm also on another day 2, and my longest stretch of sobriety was just under 5 months. Remember we don't lose that sober time either

Let's keep going forward!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today JackD89 ?

Old 06-05-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

Hi Jack - While I didn't have as long as you, I did have almost 4 months before I threw it all away and relapsed. As you did, I jumped right back in here and now am on Day 26. I understand. I'm glad we both decided there is no other way for us, but sobriety. You're on your way! .
Old 06-05-2018, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JackD89 View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement from everyone that responded to my post yesterday morning.

Yesterday I completed day 1 of sobriety. It feels rough knowing I threw almost 5 months away, but I've decided not to dwell on that and think of how to move forward knowing I am not a person who can drink.

I choose sobriety because I know it is what works for me and my life. There is no other way for me.

The voice inside my head got bold, and I decided one glass of wine was ok. I had three in under an hour, then spent the following 24 hours drinking anything I could get my hands on. Once I start, it will always be that way for me.

I was at a point in my sobriety where I really did think it was possible. I'm stubborn and wanted to prove I was different. I could go back out and drink responsibly. I. am. not. different. And I am ok with that.

During the time I had built up sober, I learned so much about myself, and it is so exciting to do that. I mean, guys, I like kayaking and I have a bit of a green thumb. You know what I had before sobriety? A trash can filled with empty vodka bottles, a constantly puffy and bloated face, a whirlwind of emotions that made me out of control, and an empty bank account. Now I have hobbies. Real ones!

I refuse to look at this slip up as defeat or as a failure. Instead, I look at it as a stumble in my process to sustained recovery, and I will learn from it.

Here is to day number two, and here is to not getting down about it, but learning from it.
This sounds SO MUCH like me. I was at 4 1/2 months and then failed. In those months, however, I too found hobbies, got a new and better job, looked better, etc. I like your idea of "not getting down about it, but learning from it.". After a bumpy few weeks, I'm on Day #3, also. Keep going!