Notices

“Recovery: Freedom from our Addictions” by Russell Brand

Old 06-03-2018, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

“Recovery: Freedom from our Addictions” by Russell Brand

Has anyone here read this book? It has great reviews on Amazon, and I
Pre-ordered it a couple
Weeks ago. I’m
Expecting it to arrive in the mail tmrw. I have a free sample on kindle that I’m starting tonight. Looking forward to flipping pages in an actual book though (I love my kindle, but sometimes I prefer a book, I
Don’t know what it is.)
Anyway, just wanted to hear yall’s Thoughts on it if you have. Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 01:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I listened to the audio book which he narrated. At the time, I didn't know it was a book about working the steps in AA and would have passed had I known, tbh.

His sponsor was an atheist, so he goes into detail about the concept of a higher power and what it means to him and why it can work. Anyone struggling with the steps, especially the higher power part, would benefit from the book.

Anyone who takes AA as holy scripture might find his renaming of the steps to remove God a turn off (e.g., step three: " Are you, on your own, going to ‘unf***’ yourself?" though he does reference back to the steps verbatim from the big book throughout the book). Plus he's Russell Brand, so there will naturally be lots of raw language.

I was drinking when I was listening to the book, and I'd say that's the closest material anyone has ever reasoned to me that would ever get me to do AA (still didn't join though).

Lastly, some of the stories later in the book when he was doing step 12 made me think, "Heh, maybe I'm really not that bad after all."

I'd say if a person is thinking of AA but turned off by the religious undertones, then it's definitely worth a read/listen to get a different perspective.