Notices

Other people don't drink like I did

Old 06-03-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Other people don't drink like I did

I went on a weekend trip with my boyfriend's family. They drank, but not like I did. Last night, they shared one bottle of wine among 6 people. If I'd been drinking, I would've been incredibly anxious. One glass of wine did not cut it for me- 6 glasses of wine barely cut it for me. It was amazing to see how many of them didn't even finish their glass, didn't go for a second glass. Afterwards we walked around the city happily. If I'd still been drinking, I would've been keeping my eyes out for a bar I could run into and get a drink.

I could not drink with other people. I needed to drink copious amounts of liquor, alone, quickly, the way I wanted to. The social aspect of drinking was gone for me. It is amazing that most people are content with a glass of wine, even a half glass.

At the end of my drinking, I didn't even enjoy cocktails anymore. They were too weak. I needed something stronger.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm finally to the point where I can go out with my wife here and there. She will never finish a single drink during the course of her entire meal. I always finished her drinks off for her.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
I could not drink with other people. I needed to drink copious amounts of liquor, alone, quickly, the way I wanted to. The social aspect of drinking was gone for me..
This is how I became too. I'd drink 'normally' socially (on the rare occasions this happened) then be itching to get home where my hubby would go to bed happily and I'd stay up half the night getting hammered on my own - my real 'enjoyment' or release, as I used to tell myself.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
I went on a weekend trip with my boyfriend's family. They drank, but not like I did. Last night, they shared one bottle of wine among 6 people. If I'd been drinking, I would've been incredibly anxious. One glass of wine did not cut it for me- 6 glasses of wine barely cut it for me. It was amazing to see how many of them didn't even finish their glass, didn't go for a second glass. Afterwards we walked around the city happily. If I'd still been drinking, I would've been keeping my eyes out for a bar I could run into and get a drink.

I could not drink with other people. I needed to drink copious amounts of liquor, alone, quickly, the way I wanted to. The social aspect of drinking was gone for me. It is amazing that most people are content with a glass of wine, even a half glass.

At the end of my drinking, I didn't even enjoy cocktails anymore. They were too weak. I needed something stronger.
Oh my bringme, I could have copied and pasted this, subbing in wife/boyfriend. So so true.

Reminds me that what I miss is not what I see around me when others drink - was never that for me anyhow. It was complete oblivion or as close to I could get to it, every single time.

Nice work being sober, nice work on your observations, thanks for the post.