Notices

I知 an Alcoholic

Old 06-12-2018, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I知 an Alcoholic

But goddamit I am going to fight this. For me, my children (including my stepdaughter), my wife, everything.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
But goddamit I am going to fight this. For me, my children (including my stepdaughter), my wife, everything.
What's up Horn?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, for my children (including my stepson), my life, everything....

It all became much easier when I stopped fighting and instead started embracing.

Embracing sobriety instead of fighting alcohol.

Embracing tools and support instead of fighting to manage on my own.

Embracing a connection to a higher power (not "God" in my case) with a willingness to ask for help and a willingness to see that something greater than myself might help instead of fighting the "God" thing.

Embracing the image of a life without alcohol as a goal instead of fighting images of the 'loss' of my life with alcohol.

You can.....

Old 06-12-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just tired of the squirrel cage. Tired of not being who I was, and what I can be. Same for all of us.

Was in LA meeting with people I had worked with before. And they talked about our great experiences. All I could do was barely control my anxiety. I want to be that guy again. With Swag (that痴 how I won my wife), ability, vision.

I hate who I am right now.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's what alcohol does to us, Horn. It robs us of our self-esteem and makes us hate who we are. You can be the person you were and that you want to be again.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

And we can absolutely be the person we’re meant to be Horn! Put it first, before all else. You can do this! I see it here on SR everyday, people who have been where you are & found a program that works for them.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Horn, you are definitely going to do it. You sound disgusted - and ready.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can get it back, that swag, and more. You checked in the other day, after your drunk vacation. Have you been able to put it down or are you drinking now?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

I know you can do it. This is your time so seize the day and put a solid plan into action to help you succeed. Pledge to yourself and your family that you are here forward living a new and better life. Find a support team who you can bounce ideas off of and whup this thing!
Old 06-12-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Horn

I agree with everybody who says you can be who you want to be. (Pretty sure the swag wasn't the clincher in the deal with your wife either - you seem like a good guy )

I think there's two parts to admitting you're an alcoholic - admitting it....and doing something about it.

Thought about what that second part might be for you yet?

D
Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Horn! You can do this. The old you...is YOU...in a better place physically, emotionally and intellectually. Isn't it awesome that you have identified the cause of moving away from your optimal self? Like Dee said...what's next? Get your plan going. I think we waste too much time trying to find the perfect way to do this. There is no perfect way, but we need something. Don't be afraid of taking the wrong approach, you can switch it up. Just get something started. The first part of any plan is sobering up...it is not scary. In fact I found getting my head clear so refreshing. Embracing the advantages of a clear head and healing body have made me feel so much closer to my old self in just a week. Now I am making my plans and goals.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just tired of the squirrel cage. Tired of not being who I was, and what I can be. Same for all of us.

Was in LA meeting with people I had worked with before. And they talked about our great experiences. All I could do was barely control my anxiety. I want to be that guy again. With Swag (that痴 how I won my wife), ability, vision.

I hate who I am right now.
In sobriety I'm a better man than I ever was before.....

You will be, too.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Horn, you can still be the man you are meant to be, swag and all. Look in the mirror at your awesomeness. You want to be behind your eyes, you want to be the incredible person you are. And you are! Just leave the sauce alone. You start now. We're here to say You Got This. It can be that simple, moment to moment. Grab this sobriety because you want it. It's worth fighting for. Forgive yourself and get back on track.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It helps immensely.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Isn稚 alcoholism cunning and baffling? We crave that next drink at times, yet we also know the destruction such a drink can cause. I知 trying to do something for my sobriety each day.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomCA View Post
Isn稚 alcoholism cunning and baffling? We crave that next drink at times, yet we also know the destruction such a drink can cause. I知 trying to do something for my sobriety each day.

Spot on.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Didn't answer my question.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Didn't answer my question.
Sorry. I am sober right now. Actually went back to my journal and reread how great I was feeling about a month ago. It helped.

As for my plans, I had one, I just blew it off. Not this time though.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good man.

Right your ship.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Battling an addiction and winning will make you a better man. We all know how hard this is.