SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428433-food-addiction-24-hour-thread-support.html)

honeypig 06-16-2018 05:40 AM

Thanks for the welcome, both from those of you I already know and from those of you I'm meeting for the first time.

ProfessorD, that hound in my avatar is Ned, my dearest basset boy. He was with me for 12 years and just left this world on March 22 of this year at the age of 15. He was quite the handsome fellow, wasn't he?

PeacefulWater12 06-16-2018 06:03 AM

Welcome along, HoneyPig.

PeacefulWater12 06-16-2018 06:05 AM

Day 10 going well.

I have best success when i journal my food. I write it down before i eat. Keeps me mindful and in the moment. I also enjoy the food so much more.

Awareness is big help to me. With all my addictions, not just food.

Have a good day all.

SparkleKitty 06-16-2018 07:25 AM

I have, in the past, indulged in very bad obsessive behaviors around tracking food, unfortunately, though I do not deny it helps people nor would I discourage others from doing it.

I watched the first three episodes of Dietland last night. I also read the book a few years ago when it came out. I'm trying to imagine something like it being on television even ten years ago.

biminiblue 06-16-2018 07:33 AM

I've heard that before, SparkleKitty - about obsessive tracking.

It seems that the people who struggle with it the most are usually restricters. I am a binge eater, so tracking is a very good thing - because if left to my own desires/appetite, I would eat 4000 calories per day every day; and I only need 1700-2000. It's hard for me to start and stop eating. I don't have an off button for alcohol, and I often can't seem to find it with food, either. Once I start eating for the day I do better when I have a large amount of protein and few carbs first thing or first meal. That slows my appetite down.

I use a digital food scale and make almost all my meals from scratch to control the ingredients so there is a bit of controlling behavior going on, but it's good control! :wink3: I don't think of it as obsessive, just what I need to do to stay on plan.

SparkleKitty 06-16-2018 07:43 AM

Yes, it definitely started when I was doing WW many years ago. Back then it felt like restriction was the most overwhelmingly awful thing in the world. I was obsessed with being able to control portions, but eat what I wanted, so I would not feel deprived. It took me a long time to realize that I had never achieved that "lack of deprivation" feeling I was so sure I would be able to reach. I literally always felt deprived when focusing on portion control.

My views have since changed about restriction and deprivation. I have a sugar and carbs addiction. There's no question that the rest of my life is better when I eliminate those things from my diet altogether and eat real foods. And when I don't think about how much of those real foods I'm eating. Have I gained weight? Sure, some. But the biggest part of this process has been self-acceptance, regardless of the number on the scale (...of course I threw out my scale four years ago), based purely on how I feel.

I, of course, like a lot of addicts, am still in place where I believe moderation is possible. :) Despite repeated evidence that it's not.

About six weeks ago I started a reasonable exercise program. This has made a huge difference in how I feel about myself. I think I might have lost some inches, and that's great, but I have to work every day to keep the focus on how I feel, not how I look. At the end of the day, the only person who really cares about how I look is me--and that's a trap that my addiction really wants me to fall into, of shame and self-loathing. The people who love me don't love me for my thigh gap or how I look in a bikini. The people who care about that are best let out of my life.

I feel like I lost a lot of years obsessed with numbers that have never served me--calories, pounds, etc. I wish I had spent those years focused on the people and things I love instead. But I can only move forward at this point.

PeacefulWater12 06-16-2018 11:36 AM

Loving the discussion on tracking food intake. Great to hear about it from different angles. I base mine on Grey Sheet.

For me, I love love love it. It gives me freedom. It keeps me safe, it feels warm and comfortable and it feels like the best self care I can gift myself.

Closing on day 10. Had some totally delicious food. Emotions are feeling like they are appropriate and accurate. Tuned in.

Lots of protein as always. Cooked some fish which within a couple of mouthfuls I realised I didnt like so as I am not a dustbin, I dumped it and had some chicken instead.

Time to stop counting days and just live my program.

Keep up the good work everyone.

ProfessorD 06-16-2018 02:19 PM

Hey everyone, just checking in. Sorry you aren't having a good day, venuscat. Everything is pretty good here. I didn't eat breakfast, but that's usually what my husband and I do on the weekends because we like to get up early and go for a hike then eat. Had a big sushi lunch. Won't be over or under calories today; just right.

Jeni26 06-16-2018 02:30 PM

Hi all, can I join too?

I’m free of nicotine for 5 years and alcohol for 2 yrs 4 months...but food has now become my go-to in times of stress...in particular sugar.

The past 3 years I have put on a huge amount of weight and I just hate the way I look and feel now. I started a (kind of) healthy eating plan and exercise regime about 2 weeks ago and have already lost 7 lbs, but although I do really well during the day now, I still binge on food in the evening.

I would really like to join your group for some accountability if I may?

PeacefulWater12 06-16-2018 02:35 PM

Welcome Jeni,

well done on losing the 7 lbs. Sugar is my go to as well.

Jeni26 06-16-2018 02:39 PM

Thank you 😊

I do have some medical issues which would really benefit from me giving up sugar too.

At the moment I’m moderating and I guess we all know how that goes...

So, I think I will pick a date and give up the sugar completely. Gulp.

venuscat 06-16-2018 02:40 PM

Hi Jeni love. :) :hug: ♥♥♥♥

Jeni26 06-16-2018 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 6929025)
Hi Jeni love. :) :hug: ♥♥♥♥

Hey my friend ❤️❤️❤️

venuscat 06-16-2018 02:41 PM

Oh gosh.....such a huge smile....love you girl. ♥

PeacefulWater12 06-16-2018 11:34 PM

Good morning all. Checking in for a healthy Sunday.

honeypig 06-17-2018 12:28 AM

Good morning, Peaceful! Just got back from a short walk w/the dogs--it's going to be another hot and steamy day here, not the favorite of anyone in this house.

Going to do some reading, maybe a little yoga session, and then I am going to paint the hallway, the last part of my almost 2-year-long painting project (not that big a project, just that I haven't made very good progress...).

Wishing all a mindful, healthful, happy day!

Jeni26 06-17-2018 12:57 AM

Good morning all, I’m just planning my meals for the week and am off to the shops in a bit.

I’ve got lots of salad on my list, and tomorrow I aim to start being sugar free.

I’m confident that the days at work will be no problem but I need a strategy for the evenings. I go to the gym and have a swim on my way home and I don’t want to ruin it as soon as I walk through the door.

I’m also feeling kind of sad as it’s Fathers Day and my Dad died 4 years ago. Emotional eating is a theme here which I’m trying to break.

Have a good day everyone x

honeypig 06-17-2018 01:37 AM

Good morning, Jeni--I know what you mean about evenings and times when you have time on your hands. If I had a penny for every day that started out well but crashed and burned in the last few hours before bed...

My sincere sympathy on the loss of your dad. I've never been that close to mine, but as I've worked further into recovery, I begin to understand that he really was doing (and still is) the best he can, given who he is and how he is. And none of that is gonna change, so I need to get on w/accepting him as he is and appreciating the time we have left.

Jeni26 06-17-2018 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by honeypig (Post 6929357)
Good morning, Jeni--I know what you mean about evenings and times when you have time on your hands. If I had a penny for every day that started out well but crashed and burned in the last few hours before bed...

My sincere sympathy on the loss of your dad. I've never been that close to mine, but as I've worked further into recovery, I begin to understand that he really was doing (and still is) the best he can, given who he is and how he is. And none of that is gonna change, so I need to get on w/accepting him as he is and appreciating the time we have left.

My Dad was an alcoholic, we had an uneasy and fractured relationship for most of his life. He was ill for a few years with cancer and as his health deteriorated, I found recovery from my own alcoholism, and we formed a close bond. He began to have real gratitude for his life and his family. I miss him now and wish we’d have had longer as adults without addiction hanging over us both.

Sunflowerlife 06-17-2018 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jeni26 (Post 6929018)
Hi all, can I join too?

I’m free of nicotine for 5 years and alcohol for 2 yrs 4 months...but food has now become my go-to in times of stress...in particular sugar.

The past 3 years I have put on a huge amount of weight and I just hate the way I look and feel now. I started a (kind of) healthy eating plan and exercise regime about 2 weeks ago and have already lost 7 lbs, but although I do really well during the day now, I still binge on food in the evening.

I would really like to join your group for some accountability if I may?

Welcome Jeni- it's really nice to have you with us. Sounds like you have already made some great changes in your life :) I am 13 months sober and still suffer with binge eating so I understand using it as a go-to in times of stress. Please use this group any way you need to- we are here to support you on your journey :)