SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428433-food-addiction-24-hour-thread-support.html)

biminiblue 06-13-2018 11:47 AM

Food is a science. I kind of treat every day like a regimented plan. It's so easy to get off kilter. I track all my macros and many micros and salt, fiber, water.

My Excel sheet is pretty nerdy.

WeaverBird 06-13-2018 12:13 PM

Oh yes, bimini, that is exactly where I want to be with my food. I can see you are going to be a veritable mine of information. It's funny, because I am totally obsessed with food but I know so little about it. About nutrition, I mean. I know exactly what to binge on to change my mood, and then just starve to control the weight.

My body does not like sugar one bit ~ honey actually brings me out in a rash. Does anyone else get that? The alcohol might be extreme sugar addiction? I can't eat anything where sugar is 3 or above on the ingredients list of a food. Ideally it should be right down at 5 for me to feel like my body is making energy out of that food like a finely tuned engine. I am happy with no gluten, wheat-free, but I've never been tested.

I am sure each of us has our own personal body make-up or genetics, and we can sort of roughly put ourselves in a group, like me in the 'no sugar', but we are always going to have to experiment a little to fine-tune our personal program, does that make sense?

Sunny, my love, you are a very special girl and I LOVE YOU ((((Sunny)))) Thank you for being my teacher (I need an emoji for a little zen bow with prayer hands!) I will keep the idea that I will suffer until I choose not to in my notes.

venuscat 06-13-2018 12:18 PM

I made you one Weev darling.....

https://i.imgur.com/K2onfLB.jpg

PeacefulWater12 06-13-2018 12:31 PM

I am also completely fascinated by nutrition and body chemistry.

PeacefulWater12 06-13-2018 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlissWithin (Post 6925769)
I'm going to join the thread, I have a problem with sugar and binge eating, also I'm quitting the cigs too, so it's good to have a place to keep track of my cravings, I'm overweight and I don't want to resort to food to curb the nicotine withdrawal.

Welcome, BlissWithin. Lovely username.

PeacefulWater12 06-13-2018 12:46 PM

My opinion about my binge eating is that it is purely a chemical reaction to sugar that makes me need to eat and eat once I have the first sugary food.

I binge eat when happy, sad, hot, cold, tired, energetic, to celebrate, to commiserate. If there is a Y in the day.

I don't believe there is an underling emotional reason. I may tell myself there is sometimes but I think that is my excuse to myself.

I was exactly the same with alcohol. It was a chemical reaction in my body. The first drink opened a bottomless pit for alcohol.

Sunflower79 06-13-2018 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 (Post 6925859)
My opinion about my binge eating is that it is purely a chemical reaction to sugar that makes me need to eat and eat once I have the first sugary food.

I binge eat when happy, sad, hot, cold, tired, energetic, to celebrate, to commiserate. If there is a Y in the day.

I don't believe there is an underling emotional reason. I may tell myself there is sometimes but I think that is my excuse to myself.

I was exactly the same with alcohol. It was a chemical reaction in my body. The first drink opened a bottomless pit for alcohol.

I believe I am the same way. I just don’t know how to get through the day without caving. This really is just like quitting alcohol.

Sunflower79 06-13-2018 02:15 PM

Ok. So my plan is for a day 1 tomorrow. No sugar or white flour. I will eat whole foods and when I start to crave at 3 like I always do I will post here first. Thanks for all the replies. I do believe sugar is like alcohol in that I can’t have any. It triggers me to binge every time.

ProfessorD 06-13-2018 02:26 PM

Great, Sunflower79!

Make sure you're getting lots of healthy fats and have some low sugar snacks on hand for 3pm! It will be hard to do on willpower alone, just like alcohol (in my experience, at least!) But eventually it's really cool because you don't get hungry.

WeaverBird 06-13-2018 02:43 PM

Night night my beautiful friends. We are doing something very good and healing here.

Sunflower79, I will join you on a sugar and wheat free Day 1 tomorrow. I have suitable food. I do have a hospital ultra sound in the afternoon and I don’t know if I will use food to cope.

:grouphug:

venuscat 06-13-2018 02:49 PM

Well, I don't imagine you can eat before the ultrasound love, and after, well, nothing to worry about....you did it....and it will be OK. And it will be even better if you eat healthy food that makes you feel good. :) :hug: ♥

emme99 06-13-2018 04:53 PM

Hi everyone, I would like to join please. I've had food issues all my life. My first diet was when I was in kindergarten because I was kneeling and noticed my legs were bigger than the girl's next to me. Since then, my weight has been up & down so many times, numerous fad diets, WW a couple of times, MRC, etc... Right now, I have been eating so bad for so long I don't really even know where to start. I'm hoping reading about what you all do might give me some ideas and/or motivation. I'm really lacking in motivation. My issue at this point is making bad decisions on what I eat and eating way too much sugar. I want and need to lose weight, however my main goal is to feel better as I don't feel good like this. I just passed 6 months sober a week ago, and I feel like I'm ready to focus more on my eating now. Thanks for listening :)

venuscat 06-13-2018 05:04 PM

Hi emme love....oh yes, we can do this together.... :hug: ♥♥

Sunflower79 06-13-2018 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by WeaverBird (Post 6925934)
Night night my beautiful friends. We are doing something very good and healing here.

Sunflower79, I will join you on a sugar and wheat free Day 1 tomorrow. I have suitable food. I do have a hospital ultra sound in the afternoon and I don’t know if I will use food to cope.

:grouphug:

Wonderful!!! I love having the accountability. Post here if you feel the urge to binge 🌻

Arpeggioh 06-13-2018 05:50 PM

Well, as long as I'm done eating for the day, I have a program all queued up on Netflix - Explained: Why Diets Fail. This should be uplifting! :)

PeacefulWater12 06-13-2018 11:30 PM

Welcome Emme, glad to have you onboard.

PeacefulWater12 06-13-2018 11:38 PM

Day 8 starting. I notice a jumble of thoughts whirling through my mind. I know this will settle down and go, my main focus is not to act on any of these thoughts as i know they are not rational. Is chemicals in my body being swirled up.

Got massage booked for today, plus a nice longish walk.

Other than that have blissfully empty diary for the day. I would like some time just to relax.

Been listening to AASpeakers on You Tube. Always hits the spot for me. On the Al-anon side. A reminder for me to step back from AH a little. He is very physically incapacitated at present so balancing appropriate care giving up against toxic dysfunctional behaviours is difficult.

Sunflowerlife 06-14-2018 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by BlissWithin (Post 6925769)
I'm going to join the thread, I have a problem with sugar and binge eating, also I'm quitting the cigs too, so it's good to have a place to keep track of my cravings, I'm overweight and I don't want to resort to food to curb the nicotine withdrawal.

It's nice to have you BlissWithin!

Sunflowerlife 06-14-2018 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorD (Post 6925786)
Bimini! That totally worked! You and your pickle trick are going on my gratitude list today. Thanks, friend! :You_Rock_

Bimini is totally on point about the electrolytes! You can try pickle juice too- just sip it right out of the bottle (I prefer the natural pickles with no dyes.) I make a lot of sole water too which is basically salt water :)

AAPJ 06-14-2018 03:11 AM

To those of you who appreciate my presence here: Thank you. While I think I am someone who is fairly easy to live with today that has not always been the case. My wife of almost 30 years has endured a lot of crap from me over the years and even though my behavior has recently improved thanks to AA and this forum, there is still a lot of collateral damage from all of my past bad behaviors. Anyway at least there is progress. A year ago my wife told me that I'm less of an a-hole than I used to be. Actually she's said more positive things about my behavior than that more recently but repeating that comment gets the most laughs at my AA meetings. Progress is slow but the damage was caused over a long period and so improvement won't happen overnight. I am a work in process. I would guess that many of you can relate to this because you joined this forum for the same reason I did. The need to change our behaviors.

Now back to food; the topic of this thread. My breakfast: Black Coffee with some coconut oil. Going downstairs to exercise for 30 minutes. Boring but needed. And it works for my weight control.