Notices

Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support

Old 06-11-2018, 10:19 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Another male checking in...

Since I quit drinking I eat like a horse. Talking 1000+ cals breakfast, 1000+ lunch and 2500+ at night - more on days I don't need to leave the house. I mean, letting yourself go is fine early in quitting booze, but when you're putting on 20+ pounds per month...

Don't know what my void is that I'm filling, but I do things to excess (probably not uncommon in these parts, eh?) - drinking every night to blackout - since I quit boozing I had replaced that with ridiculous amounts of food - now that I can't overeat or drink booze, I've lost 11 pounds in one week (probably mostly due to cutting loads of salt).
Not uncommon at all dcg- Congratulations on your sobriety and we are very happy to have you here. How did you stop overeating? Any tools that were really helpful for you?
Old 06-11-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

I'm not doing well today guys. I should have known it would happen as we had a playdate at a neighbors house (first time meeting them) and I almost forget how stressful these situations are for me. There were 6 or 7 other moms and tons of kids running around. I knew 2 of the moms luckily but I still get stressed about making sure I say the "right" things. And then they were talking about wine and I started thinking how normal all these people are while I'm sitting here addicted to food, drugs and alcohol- why can't I just be normal?

My son had a great time but he ended up throwing a horrible, screaming tantrum and I had to leave with him crying and trying to hit me in the face. He doesn't usually do this and I felt really bad for him because I couldn't calm him down. I am starting to think he is also highly sensitive like I am and that he was just overstimulated and hungry (even though he had eaten a snack.)

I made sure to have a big shake before we went, so I wouldn't get hungry but for some reason as soon as we got home and he threw another fit about the sandwich I made him (after locking me out of the house) I gave in to the AV in a matter of seconds and ate the first sandwich I made him. Now I'm sitting here on the couchy dizzy from the food, feeling sick, angry, tired and irritable.

On top of all of this my husband and I had it out this morning- we kind of resolve our issues but it was a heated conversation at first with a lot of tension and stress. I'm just stressed. I can't handle being a wife. I can't handle being a mom. I can barely handle being a human being. Why is this so damn hard?
Old 06-11-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
FWIW - All of the AA meetings I attend pass around a basket and have done so for as long as I can remember. I'm a retread so my experience goes back to the 1990s. Some groups offer free literature and some don't. My guess is that it depends on how many donations they get in the basket over time.
Good to know - thank you. It's my first time going in over a decade so I guess I just forgot. Makes sense that they would need donations
Old 06-11-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Good morning Sunny, your thread inspires me to make healthier food choices.
Thank you!!
Hi my friend Bandi!!! Thanks for visiting
Old 06-11-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeaverBird View Post
It's now lunchtime here and the only way I've managed to get here w/o bingeing is by not eating anything, and drinking 6 cups of coffee. Time is dragging and I can't settle to any housework but I have potted up some nice ornamental grass by the summerhouse.

I'm checking in here a lot.

I don't want to go back to OA. I got publicly attacked by an obese lady last time. She couldn't see that thinner people have a disease too? I don't know. She stormed out and slammed the door for good measure and I can't seem to get over that fear that I will see her again. I'm a bit of a push over.

I don't really understand how I can have worked my step4 so thoroughly, and done a massive step5 with my sponsor, be over a year off the alcohol, and the food addiction hasn't lifted. Pooh.

p.s. I hope lots more men will come along and post. I think food problems are pretty evenly split between the sexes
Hi my sweet Weev- I really hate that you don't feel comfortable going back to a meeting. The one I go to has people of all shapes and sizes. I wonder if you could try a different meeting?

I don't know about the steps yet or how they work. I think I had gotten to step 2 back in 2005 when I was "trying" to get sober. I think it just takes time to work through all of this stuff. Plus maybe the focus would be different in OA? I mean it's one thing to talk about our triggers and cravings with booze and another thing entirely when it comes to food. I do hope you reconsider going to a meeting. There might also be online or phone meetings too, maybe that's an option?

Please be careful with the coffee my friend. Fill your body with some nourishing foods so the urge to binge doesn't sneak up on you. love you
Old 06-11-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Oh love.

Your little one makes it hard for you....tantrums like that are very very difficult for mums to deal with who have NOTHING else on their plates.....it's a lot....that is a huge day for your family already today, and it's only lunchtime.

You don't have to keep eating food you don't want to eat today.....I know you don't feel well now....hot water honey....plain hot water to settle your tummy and deep breaths.

You are still the light....sending you huge hugs. ♥
Old 06-11-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Sunny ~ the money in the baskets only goes towards things the group uses....tea, coffee, literature....probably been said already xx
Old 06-11-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Husbands - aren't we a PITA? I feel like the token male here. Not sure how that happened. For me a men's only AA meeting has been very helpful in dealing with my wife. And by dealing with her I mean win/win not always getting my way. While there are a few woman hating divorced men in the group most of us are trying to figure out how to be better fathers/husbands.

Sorry that some of you had difficult time dealing with your husbands over the weekend. Perhaps a ladies only AA meeting might help you better deal with your husbands?
I sure hope you didn't feel like we were attacking husbands in general. I know I am not a walk in the park by any means. I think relationships and marriage in general are very difficult. I certainly don't blame it all on my husband- I just have a hard time being with someone long term- being en empath with addictions doesn't help either.

My husband is a good guy-we just butt heads a lot. I don't understand it and I don't like it and sometimes I just think maybe we aren't compatible. Only time will tell.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Sunny ~ the money in the baskets only goes towards things the group uses....tea, coffee, literature....probably been said already xx
They atually don't offer any tea or coffee at this meeting and the literature isn't free but the treasurer mentioned something about rent yesterday so maybe the church charges them for the meetings? I'm okay with spending $2 a week for the support I'm getting
I was just curious.

How are you today?
Old 06-11-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Jean-Paul Sartre: "Hell is other people."

Sorry, okay, I guess not really...but as a single old man who hasn't had a roommate since college, I'm a big fan of solitude! It's just me and the dog, and sometimes she's standing on my last nerve. I feel your existential pain, and feel extremely lucky that I can't relate even a little bit: a birthday party with other moms and children? Gross. I drove past a municipal basketball court today that looked positively infested with about a hundred children, obviously an event of some kind; I literally shivered!

So if you ever need a babysitter...
Old 06-11-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

You are still the light....sending you huge hugs. ♥
OMG I needed to be reminded...i can't believe you remembered this.

I feel sad but I am the Light
I feel disheartened but I am the Light
I feel overwhelmed but I am the Light
I feel disappointed but I am the Light.

I stopped eating 15 minutes ago. Going to have some tea and watch tv until I have to pick up N from school. I pulled something in my neck last week and it's still really bothering me. I don't feel well. I am anxious at the thought of spending the entire summer at home with my youngest. I am just not well today. It's cold and rainy and I know that doesn't help. I need some projects this week and all I have are 2 more playdates. I want to paint again...maybe Thursday.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Yep, it is the rent money...I forgot about that.

I'm good today. Have my head deep in my studies.
And I have my gorgeous old ASUS PC (2011 and I brought it with me, I have 4 now, ha ha) set up in the office....I had to wrangle Windows 7 a bit to get it to work in all the ways I need now...and new books.....so many books to read.....and how cool that all the books for my course are the same books that we love already? I will give you the list later....

But I am struggling to eat....have been trying to make myself. I promised Nick I would eat today and so far it's a piece of toast.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
Jean-Paul Sartre: "Hell is other people."

Sorry, okay, I guess not really...but as a single old man who hasn't had a roommate since college, I'm a big fan of solitude! It's just me and the dog, and sometimes she's standing on my last nerve. I feel your existential pain, and feel extremely lucky that I can't relate even a little bit: a birthday party with other moms and children? Gross. I drove past a municipal basketball court today that looked positively infested with about a hundred children, obviously an event of some kind; I literally shivered!

So if you ever need a babysitter...
LOL!! Thank you for the laugh! I get annoyed with other children too and can handle these things only in small doses! I've planned 2 more playdates this week but they are 1 on 1s with my 2 closest friends so they shouldn't be so stressful.. fingers crossed!!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Yep, it is the rent money...I forgot about that.

I'm good today. Have my head deep in my studies.
And I have my gorgeous old ASUS PC (2011 and I brought it with me, I have 4 now, ha ha) set up in the office....I had to wrangle Windows 7 a bit to get it to work in all the ways I need now...and new books.....so many books to read.....and how cool that all the books for my course are the same books that we love already? I will give you the list later....

But I am struggling to eat....have been trying to make myself. I promised Nick I would eat today and so far it's a piece of toast.
Can't wait to hear the list- books make me so happy too...
I'm glad you are feeling a bit better- What does one do with so many computers!!

Just listen to your body and don't force it. Maybe by dinner time you will be ready for a nice, nourishing meal.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Pretty sure you know I don't have any kids Sunny....I love kids.....LOVE them, but I never really even thought about having them. A LOT to do with the noise....and I love that there are more of us who truly love our solitude. But you are not old Arpe.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Day 5 coming to a close. Stuck to plan and enjoyed it today.

Closing on 1500 calories of non-trigger foods. Feeling my feelings rather loudly but I know they will quieten down as long as I sit this out.

I agree that Hell is other people too. I am an introvert through and through and I love being this way.

I also have a couple ASUS's. Love them.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post

Closing on 1500 calories of non-trigger foods. Feeling my feelings rather loudly but I know they will quieten down as long as I sit this out.

I agree that Hell is other people too. I am an introvert through and through and I love being this way.

You’re really doing great. I am very inspired by you. Hoping to have a day 5 on a Saturday. Have a great night...
Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post

HI

1500 calories is fantastic!!!! And healthy food? Awesome.
And feeling your feelings....kind of a triple win....lovely to meet you. ♥♥
Old 06-11-2018, 01:49 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to read about the struggles everyone is facing today. So much that I relate to in these stories, even if we have slightly different stressors and patterns of isolation and anger. I'm very grateful for this thread.

I was able to have a good day so far, and I feel calm heading into dinner. I intend to avoid carbs and stick to my calories. Hopefully I will not make a last minute decision to scarf bread. I did two fitness videos on a break from research--a cardio kickboxing and an abs/butt one. It's important for me to keep exercise in a fun rather than stressful place. I can get really obsessive about it. I enjoyed the videos, but I probably looked very foolish. Kickboxing seems great because it's easy to keep moving even when you are flailing about with the punches/moves. I'll try to do that one more often.

Tomorrow I am 4 weeks sober. As I mentioned, I do not weigh myself. But I did find myself trying on clothes and trying to guess if I have lost any inches. I can spend hours doing that, so I need to nip that obsessive behavior in the bud. I need to focus on the journey and enjoying the moment and the body that I have right now--not pinning all my happiness on some imaginary future self that never quite arrives.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Just in case you haven't seen this thread ProfD....

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-390-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 390)

I hear you...I will NEVER weigh myself again....scales are a huge no-no.
I have measuring pants.
And you are doing so so well!!!