SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Food Addiction- 24 Hour Thread/Support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/428433-food-addiction-24-hour-thread-support.html)

Arpeggioh 06-11-2018 01:59 AM

I didn't do a lot of binge eating...but when I did, donuts were my poison of choice. I literally could not stop. I was familiar with that lack of control concerning vodka, but it kinda freaked me out when I kept stuffing another Little Debbie mini glazed in my mouth long after I was sickeningly full...they aren't even that good! That entire line of "snack cakes" is just revolting, and priced low for easy mass consumption. Just so wrong.

I'm still dabbling in eating plans, watching way too many YouTube videos, trying different ideas on for size. Last week I was doctoring up my usual cup of coffee (cream, pure stevia) when I looked down and thought, "Hmm...I like butter. How bad can it be?" Well, I'll be damned: there's butter in my coffee, and I like it! I was appalled when I first heard about it, thought those crazy keto people were nuts...but I get it; I can put off eating for several hours without any carbs.

I'm sold on the concept of intermittent fasting. Very much in beginner mode (no food between 8pm and 8am) but it feels right; I knew that eating before bed was a major culprit in stalling my weight loss, and this addresses that issue very nicely. I forced myself to eat earlier in the evening, and saved some chores and errands to stay busier after my food deadline. I find this is a schedule I can live with. A few more days and it should become well ingrained in my "normal" life (a term I use very loosely...)

Thanks for listening to my food diary! As I mentioned, most people I know IRL are tired of hearing me ramble on about what I eat, how I eat, when I eat...zzzzz, shut up already!

Sunflowerlife 06-11-2018 02:12 AM

Good morning friends- I've got a new routine going for the mornings so I will have to catch up later but I want to say hi and commit to 24 hours of abstinence from compulsive overeating!

Off to meditate...

AAPJ 06-11-2018 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife (Post 6922927)
They pass a donation basket around each time- I don’t remember them doing this in AA for some reason plus all of the reading material has a price tag on it. I remember getting a free Big Book in AA 11 years ago. Weird. I guess times have changed.

FWIW - All of the AA meetings I attend pass around a basket and have done so for as long as I can remember. I'm a retread so my experience goes back to the 1990s. Some groups offer free literature and some don't. My guess is that it depends on how many donations they get in the basket over time.

AAPJ 06-11-2018 03:33 AM

Husbands - aren't we a PITA? I feel like the token male here. Not sure how that happened. For me a men's only AA meeting has been very helpful in dealing with my wife. And by dealing with her I mean win/win not always getting my way. While there are a few woman hating divorced men in the group most of us are trying to figure out how to be better fathers/husbands.

Sorry that some of you had difficult time dealing with your husbands over the weekend. Perhaps a ladies only AA meeting might help you better deal with your husbands?

WeaverBird 06-11-2018 05:36 AM

It's now lunchtime here and the only way I've managed to get here w/o bingeing is by not eating anything, and drinking 6 cups of coffee. Time is dragging and I can't settle to any housework but I have potted up some nice ornamental grass by the summerhouse.

I'm checking in here a lot.

I don't want to go back to OA. I got publicly attacked by an obese lady last time. She couldn't see that thinner people have a disease too? I don't know. She stormed out and slammed the door for good measure and I can't seem to get over that fear that I will see her again. I'm a bit of a push over.

I don't really understand how I can have worked my step4 so thoroughly, and done a massive step5 with my sponsor, be over a year off the alcohol, and the food addiction hasn't lifted. Pooh.

p.s. I hope lots more men will come along and post. I think food problems are pretty evenly split between the sexes :grouphug:

bandicoot2 06-11-2018 05:40 AM

Good morning Sunny, your thread inspires me to make healthier food choices.
Thank you!!

ProfessorD 06-11-2018 05:47 AM

Is there another meeting you could try, weaver? I don't do AA or OA, but I hear people talking a lot about having to attend many meetings to find their right "fit."

My husband isn't a PITA, and you don't sound like one either AAPJ :) Addiction is hard on a marriage, but marriage itself is just hard, I think. As I'm getting older, I'm noticing a lot more friends/colleagues who are bitter and divorced (not at all that one is necessarily bitter if they are divorced). I don't want to be divorced, but more than that I just really, really don't want to become bitter.

Just thinking out loud :)

Have a good day, everyone. Mondays are often the day I binge because I'm alone in the house and looking at my weekly work/research schedule. My goal this week is to ease in and not get overwhelmed.

WeaverBird 06-11-2018 05:59 AM

Hi bandi, hi Prof, love that avatar. Is that david slaying goliath? Seems fitting! Love to you both :grouphug:

PeacefulWater12 06-11-2018 06:06 AM

Enjoying day 5. Lots of protein and fresh veggies and fruits.

ProfessorD 06-11-2018 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by WeaverBird (Post 6923370)
Hi bandi, hi Prof, love that avatar. Is that david slaying goliath? Seems fitting! Love to you both :grouphug:

Yes it is! I also love the Julian of Norwich quote in your sig :)

ProfessorD 06-11-2018 08:45 AM

There is a huge hairy spider on the ceiling of my kitchen. So...I'm doing pretty well not snacking between meals so far today :)

venuscat 06-11-2018 08:49 AM

Ha! Have you given him a name yet? Mergatroid is what I called my last huntsman.... (I only lasted half a day I think before I had to gently broom it outside....I was trying to be all brave and make him a pet.... :)).

ProfessorD 06-11-2018 08:52 AM

I'm horribly afraid of spiders, so it's name is arraggggghhhhhhaa!. If I can kill this spider, I will. I know that isn't a terribly enlightened view of our poor eight-legged friends, but it's how I feel. :(

venuscat 06-11-2018 08:55 AM

:hug: No shame in asking someone to help you.....a nice neighbour maybe?

ProfessorD 06-11-2018 09:09 AM

I'm afraid it's too late, the fateful murder has taken place. I'm a bad person, lol. I'll add arachnophobia to the long list of things wrong with me I need to work on someday....

venuscat 06-11-2018 09:11 AM

:) ♥

dcg 06-11-2018 09:23 AM

Another male checking in...

Since I quit drinking I eat like a horse. Talking 1000+ cals breakfast, 1000+ lunch and 2500+ at night - more on days I don't need to leave the house. I mean, letting yourself go is fine early in quitting booze, but when you're putting on 20+ pounds per month...

Don't know what my void is that I'm filling, but I do things to excess (probably not uncommon in these parts, eh?) - drinking every night to blackout - since I quit boozing I had replaced that with ridiculous amounts of food - now that I can't overeat or drink booze, I've lost 11 pounds in one week (probably mostly due to cutting loads of salt).

calmself 06-11-2018 10:01 AM

Folks, Good morning! Day 23 here, took the day off since I am feeling slightly feverish. Overcast dull Seattle weather as usual. Hope all of you have a great sober day ahead!

Sunflowerlife 06-11-2018 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by topspin (Post 6923102)
This thread is helpin' Sunny !

It's hard not to know of Dee's suggestions of *plans * here on SR ,..
..and earlier today it occurred to me I should have one for tonight .

I work a late shift by myself at an ocean resort in S.C and the activities director brings a tray to the front office here of whatever Krispe Kreme , and various pastries that don't get eaten at our weekly welcome coffee every Sunday morning .

For years ,..it was never a problem ( because I'd drawn a *no moderation* policy in my mind in those days ) Until one fateful night ,... I thought one or two won't hurt . Four or five later ,...nothin' bad happened ?

Talk about lettin' the Jeannie out the bottle !? I think the 14 I took home didn't see high noon the next day ?

Everything kinda' went downhill from there . And that's gotta be better than a year ago .

I'm done !

Gotta get back to keepin' it simple ,... my life's wa.aaay to complicated anyway . :)

Oh ,...about Dee's *plan* talk ,..... this evening ,.... instead of letting those sugary golden fried critters stare me down all night I took that tray ( like I used to do every single week ) around our two pools and offer them to the parents of the kids having the time of their life in the water .

Thanks Dee . :)

.. and thank you Sunny ,..for this thread !

And thank you topspin for being here :)

That's a great plan and I bet it felt really good to see that tray empty out right in front of your eyes!
Temptations are everywhere. I cringe every day when I'm making my son's peanut butter and jelly sandwich 'cause all I want to do is eat the crust. I failed today and you reminded me why- I did not have a plan. Actually, I didn't use my tools. I should have come here first...

Sunflowerlife 06-11-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh (Post 6923211)
I didn't do a lot of binge eating...but when I did, donuts were my poison of choice. I literally could not stop. I was familiar with that lack of control concerning vodka, but it kinda freaked me out when I kept stuffing another Little Debbie mini glazed in my mouth long after I was sickeningly full...they aren't even that good! That entire line of "snack cakes" is just revolting, and priced low for easy mass consumption. Just so wrong.

I'm still dabbling in eating plans, watching way too many YouTube videos, trying different ideas on for size. Last week I was doctoring up my usual cup of coffee (cream, pure stevia) when I looked down and thought, "Hmm...I like butter. How bad can it be?" Well, I'll be damned: there's butter in my coffee, and I like it! I was appalled when I first heard about it, thought those crazy keto people were nuts...but I get it; I can put off eating for several hours without any carbs.

I'm sold on the concept of intermittent fasting. Very much in beginner mode (no food between 8pm and 8am) but it feels right; I knew that eating before bed was a major culprit in stalling my weight loss, and this addresses that issue very nicely. I forced myself to eat earlier in the evening, and saved some chores and errands to stay busier after my food deadline. I find this is a schedule I can live with. A few more days and it should become well ingrained in my "normal" life (a term I use very loosely...)

Thanks for listening to my food diary! As I mentioned, most people I know IRL are tired of hearing me ramble on about what I eat, how I eat, when I eat...zzzzz, shut up already!

Haha, it never gets old hearing it Arp. I am glad you like bulletproof coffee and that you are trying out IF- let us know how it goes for you! You sound really good, really positive - it's great to hear...