Notices

Skin, nails, weight before and after....

Old 03-20-2019, 09:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just went to visit my mother (who lives across the country and is ill). I haven't seen her in four months and now I have 78 days. She said my whole face has changed. I've also lost 14 pounds.

But most of all, I'm so much more patient with others and the tribulations of daily life. I take deep breaths and just deal as much as possible.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Listae, I am really sorry about your mom being ill. But I’m very happy about the benefits you are getting from not drinking. Congratulations on your almost 80 days!

I’m so proud that you were not drinking are you are going through this type of stress. Everyone around you will also reap benefits
Old 03-21-2019, 05:18 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I’ve been sober 7.5 months and haven’t lost a pound.

But I wasn’t a daily drinker. My relapses were horrible and would last for weeks, but I would be sober for several to many months in between. So I guess I shouldn’t expect that big of a change physically but I’m still disappointed. It’s unmotivating for sure.

I dont know if I look better. No one has said anything so I’m guessing there’s not much change. I’m very tired and look like crap no matter what. My face is probably less red though.

And my skin around my nails is MORE chewed up.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Free! Everything is better! No more rosacea, bloating,puffiness, healthier hair, eyes are whiter. I did lose weight and my body seems more toned. The best part is anxiety is much much less.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Glad this thread got bumped!

Free- glad to see your sober date was last May and you are here with us, sober!

I had to smile at the hair conversation. I have developed the best relationship with my hairdressers (one does highlights and the other cuts). They told me the other day that they sometimes take screenshots or share pics I have on stuff like FB because I am their transformation model! I'm 3 yrs sober and I think went to them the first time right around the time I quit. They've told me that at first, they did everything possible to keep the hair on my head...now, I'm pretty pleased with my profile pic

I'm 42 1/2 and pretty sure I look about the best I ever have as an adult. Inside and out, I'll take it.

My nails still suck, though - but that's probably the lifelong biting habit that ebbs and flows
Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had a nice clip of sober time a few years ago. Within three months there were tremendous changes and I looked and felt great. Skin, hair, nails, weight. I was much less lazy with food prep, self care and with work outs. In the 3+ years I went back to drinking I lost nearly all the benefits of sobriety. What a waste and why would I allow myself to give it up?!?! /smdh
I hope I am able to reclaim what I lost, but if I don’t I’ll be happy enough knowing I’m not poisoning myself with booze.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I’m on day 10 and my skin is the biggest difference. Less red and less oily. Bloating is much improved. Eyes more clear-usually they are dull and blood shot. I’m sure I’ve lost a little weight but I’ve gained so much weight while drinking I didn’t want to weigh myself and add the extra stress to quitting drinking. I’ve had a couple longer bouts (9 months to a year twice) of being sober in the past five years and I always get compliments on the difference in my appearance when sober.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My skin has improved tons! Used to have loads of a teeny little pimples on my forehead (which I read is related to liver health) Also my wrinkles are less pronounced.. I was starting to develop them on my forehead and under my eyes but I think now my body is more hydrated the lines are less noticeable. Also I used to have to top up my makeup through the day because of the redness/rosacea on my cheeks which I don't suffer from anymore! I have quite a round face anyway but the water retention has all disappeared. My face used to look all puffy and bloated and now I actually have a jawline and definition in my cheekbones. Also lost weight around my stomach.. That extra layer of visceral fat and bloating I always looked pregnant despite being slim(ish) elsewhere. Bloodshot eyes have gone too although I still feel like they're looking quite dull so hopefully they will improve and get whiter with time.

Never had any issues with my hair so can't say anything about that but there have been countless benefits already and it's only been a few months
Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I did not really realize how truly bloated I was until I stopped drinking. I thought my distended abdomen was from weight gain. Nope. Still waiting for the spider veins to go away. My complexion stinks because of menopause too though. I sleep the whole night and my insomnia is gone so my eyes are not puffy anymore. My skin is still super dry. I cannot get enough fluids in to get rid of this dehydration. I wish I could go overnight in a hospital and get some fluids to help or something. Over all, my appearance is much improved.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Physically, night and day between now and when I drank. Overall very happy physically, emotionally, spiritually.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So glad you all responded! Sounds like overall, we are better off physically if not also mentally remaining sober.

Sober is the new wealthy!😍
Old 03-23-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

OMG I love that: "Sober is the new wealthy!" In so many contexts of that word, wealth.

Re skin - I went to the hairdresser yesterday. I shared my comments on this thread and for the first time I can recall, I looked at myself in the mirror as he was doing it and thought, "wow, I look pretty in these bright lights!" I remember cringing, to say the least, and even avoiding the peeks, in the past.

I even go barefaced like in my profile pic and when I do makeup right now, it's very simple. I did just get dystlane for the furrow in my brow, but that's something I also did at 30

I also notice the leanness of my legs and while a rounding to my tummy, I still wear a pretty small size jeans. I notice that eating well (never dieting so to speak, nor eating very little but crap when I did like I did when drinking) is as important as even the pretty small amount of exercise (3x a wk yoga for as little as 30 min) I can do now bc of a back injury.

This is a fun thread!
Old 03-24-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks August!

Anyone else out there want to share about their physical appearance? Have you noticed it getting better? Did you notice it got pretty terrible while you were poisoning your body?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

WOW, is it ever poison. While drinking I was bloated every where my face was dry, red and swelled. My eyes were dull looking and my hair was falling out and very limp. Around a month everyone started asking me "you look so good...what have you done? I have more hair now and it is shinier and healthier. I lost around 25lbs and my skin is no longer red and dry. When I drank I use to eat no stop the next day...it was my bodies cry for help. Life is so much better now.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks Michelle644, how long have you been poison free?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I've also noticed a huge difference.

I lost about 30lbs...my skin is way better and my eyes are brighter. I did develop a huge sweet tooth which I've never had, but I let myself enjoy it I used to eat terribly after a night of drinking (which was almost nightly!) I also take much better care of my skin - i.e. washing it before bed rather than just passing out!

I have to say though, the biggest difference is my confidence levels---being able to look others in the eyes and hold my head up high. Knowing I hadn't said or done something I regretted. That truly is the best part of it....liking who you are
Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have had periods of daily drinking lasting 2 years during which I can gain 30-40 pounds. I don't even notice or don't care because I am blissfully drunk. Just by stopping the booze for 6 months can shed all that weight. I lose all self-awareness when drinking. My appearance can fluctuate a lot and when I sober up, I am shocked how much I let myself go without realizing.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I have noticed a huge change too. I am just over 6 moths sober. My skin is so much better, I had this horrible red peeling skin on my back and shoulders I was pretty sure it was psoriasis (but of course I didn’t go get it checked out while I was drinking) it literally vanished a few weeks after quitting. My entire body lost so much bloat and water weight. And my hair is so much healthier as well. My eyes are also clear and white, they were watering all the time while drinking. I was constantly putting on more makeup during the day and now I wear less than ever.

Funny I just pulled out an old purse that I haven’t used since I was drinking. Inside I had three bottles of eye drops (to help hide the red eye and the constant watering) tons of mints and different kinds of gum, also hard candies I would suck on when I felt nauseous, tums, ibropefen, extra makeup I reapplied all through the day to hide my red skin ect, perfume and lotions also to hide the smell, and deodoran. I literally don’t need to carry any of that around with me anymore.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
SIB

54 days and the skin on my face is already noticeably better. Redness is nearly all gone - started noticing the changes just this past week.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Weighed myself this morning,Day 9, and I'm down 3lbs. Only change in daily diet is no booze. I even had dinner and dessert at two of my favorite restaurants. Plus I’ve barely worked out. Also checks are less red!!!