Notices

What is wrong with me? Why don't I just stop?

Old 06-02-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
It's not out of nowhere. It's out of your addiction to alcohol.

You're missing some steps between the thought of having a single drink, and having 10 drinks. The most important one I discovered is the one where I recognize that the alcoholic living in my head is lying about having a single drink. It's also lying about anything else it's telling me about alcohol. It tells some pretty appealing stories...things I want to hear...but they're all lies.

I quit taking advice from a known liar and my life got a lot better. I highly recommend it.

You can do this!
I know its a lie, yet I don't stop myself. I just dont understand why I don't stop myself. I'm afraid. I'm afraid that I will do it again. I always 100% believe myself on days like today that I will never drink again, and then I end up doing it again. Please god, give me some sense and let me keep my sobriety.

My husband has the same problem with binge drinking, only I think I am worse. I think it makes it harder because when one of us caves, the other one does too. He knows we should stop, but I don't think he realizes how truly big of a problem this is.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

For 25 years I hoped God would remove my maladaptive appetite for alcohol. I thought that's how it worked. I thought I was going to wake up one morning and I would never want to drink again.

That never happened.

Things didn't start to get better for me until I had done a lot of work - on me.

You've told us the things you aren't willing to do to stay sober. That's OK (for now) - there's no guarantee that was your sober path anyhow. But...what ARE you willing to do? We've talked about the problem long enough. Let's talk about the solution.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know I "couldn't" do AA for a long time - one thing I finally had an AHA moment about was that people began seeing me drunk- and that was ok, but seeing me in AA? Somehow shameful. Once I saw that thinking for just one example of how screwy all of my thinking was.....things began to change.

No one can make you do a program, and most of us had all kinds of reasons (I'm a private person, I'm high functioning, whatever lines we used in our heads) not to take action to get well. But, thats what we have to do. Make a plan- whatever your choice is and AA is one but not the only option- and take action to stop and learn to stay that way.

It's much better on the sober side and I began to find that out as soon as I gave up all the reasons I "couldn't" quit. Best to you.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I know I "couldn't" do AA for a long time - one thing I finally had an AHA moment about was that people began seeing me drunk- and that was ok, but seeing me in AA? Somehow shameful. Once I saw that thinking for just one example of how screwy all of my thinking was.....things began to change.

No one can make you do a program, and most of us had all kinds of reasons (I'm a private person, I'm high functioning, whatever lines we used in our heads) not to take action to get well. But, thats what we have to do. Make a plan- whatever your choice is and AA is one but not the only option- and take action to stop and learn to stay that way.

It's much better on the sober side and I began to find that out as soon as I gave up all the reasons I "couldn't" quit. Best to you.
I definitely would be willing to do something, or some sort of program. I would do online. Just not AA, not in person. I am going to try to use this place daily and see how that works, plus my journal.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

A thought and realisation occured to me a few days ago. It's actually easier to fight off drink cravings and pull through the mud of recovery of early days. As opposed too living upto the extreme stress of a binge drinking life.

If your tough enough to function on binge drinking then your definitely tough enough to fight cravings.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I dunno. Turned out my alcoholism stayed much more anonymous when I was sober and in a program than when I couldn't stay sober on my own and kept getting drunk.

Do you know who goes to your local AA meeting YCDT2?

BB
Old 06-02-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

OP, I would suggest you read "Alcohol explained" by William porter. It is only a couple of dollars on Amazon Kindle version. Remember this - every time you give into cravings, you are making it one step harder for yourself to be free from it.

The reason is, the brain creates neural pathways and keeps strengthening the connections which make us to drink. If we do not, the brain creates anxiety/stress so the habit can continue. The only way is we will have the 'unlearn' this dangerous habit by doing different things instead of drinking when the AV starts bugging.

Please do not lose yourself by giving in. As much as we would like, cravings are only a minor discomfort and can be overcome by compartmentalizing them as separate from us. Just smile at them and watch them pass - Do NOT give in. They will order, negotiate and beg. If we do no feed them they will go away and give us a rush of relief.

Personally, I am on Day 14 and still get surrounded by swarms of cravings during wine o clock. I come here for support during those difficult times and ask for permission. Hope this is of some help.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calmself View Post
OP, I would suggest you read "Alcohol explained" by William porter. It is only a couple of dollars on Amazon Kindle version. Remember this - every time you give into cravings, you are making it one step harder for yourself to be free from it.

The reason is, the brain creates neural pathways and keeps strengthening the connections which make us to drink. If we do not, the brain creates anxiety/stress so the habit can continue. The only way is we will have the 'unlearn' this dangerous habit by doing different things instead of drinking when the AV starts bugging.

Please do not lose yourself by giving in. As much as we would like, cravings are only a minor discomfort and can be overcome by compartmentalizing them as separate from us. Just smile at them and watch them pass - Do NOT give in. They will order, negotiate and beg. If we do no feed them they will go away and give us a rush of relief.

Personally, I am on Day 14 and still get surrounded by swarms of cravings during wine o clock. I come here for support during those difficult times and ask for permission. Hope this is of some help.
Luckily I don't really get much cravings. It's more of an opportunity thing. Like, going to dinner- I will drink there. If someone suggests getting a drink, I do. If I am cooking with alcohol in it, i'll take a sip and then I'm spiraling.

I think because I can go for a while without drinking, I stupidly think "well...its been a month, I can just have one now" and then its all over with and its back to every weekend.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YCDT2 View Post
I live in a small town and I can't let anyone know I have this problem.
Small towns are well aware that you are the one keeping their booze business going.
AA on the other hand, is 100% private.
Keep in mind every time you walk in those doors to get booze, people are talking, with no obligation to stay quiet. AA? Not a word said.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Remember the ‘ignore’ feature on these forums and in Your head!

Thank you tecInk. and gettingsmarter and calmself !!

YCDT2. Please, please most of us are non judgemental and support you rather than judge you. There is no one particular way or means that shows others whether you are ‘serious’ or not.

I do not go to AA and fully believe I don’t need to in order to ignore the AV (alcohol/addictive voice). I too need my anonymity and don’t desire exposure in my community. I also believe it really works for a lot of people. It’s all in the power of belief. I say, whatever works and different strokes for different strokes.

Gettingsmarter, I clicked the link and really LIKE it! In the United States we are told we have a disease with alcohol addiction.

I never had a 12 step program to help me stop smoking and I did that 30 and 1/2 years ago!

I do love this SR community and appreciate all of you.

Free
Old 06-03-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Small towns are well aware that you are the one keeping their booze business going.
AA on the other hand, is 100% private.
Keep in mind every time you walk in those doors to get booze, people are talking, with no obligation to stay quiet. AA? Not a word said.
Nah. I am pretty certain nobody around here knows. I'm VERY VERY rarely the one to walk in and get the alcohol, my husband does. Its only also on the weekend, so I am sure they get a lot more traffic and once a week wouldnt really concern them.

I understand AA is something that works for a lot of people. It just is not for me, so I would appreciate that people stop pushing it on me. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Alcoholics can’t stop or stay stopped. There is a solution however of total abstinence, recovery program (AA works) and a new freedom and happiness. The program of AA is what keeps me sober not meetings. I do attend meetings however but not to keep me sober per se.