Notices

sitting here

Old 06-03-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Rar

I used to live in a very small town and I'm trying to remember what volunteer work was available there. You mentioned Meals on Wheels, so that means there are services for the elderly. What about something like a companion for the elderly? I'm not talking about nursing care, but something along the lines of hanging out with a lonely person. Watching a sports game on TV, playing a board game or cards, talking over coffee or tea. Take them for a walk or a drive, etc. Some of these people go weeks without any human companionship.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Sitting here with two black eyes, a major bump on my head and a lose, painful tooth. Don't know how I got it. I look better now than what I did a week ago, but I still keep drinking. Just nuts. Thinking I have a death wish. John
Hi John and I must say you remind me of me back when I was drinking. I have many scars on my body from those lost days in the bottle.

We've talked about this before and as we both know as long as we keep drinking it will not get better.

The AA big book talks about touching the hot stove. Once we know that we will get burned why do we keep doing it?

Truthfully I finally realized I just could not take it anymore and stopped drinking.

Life improves for us if we attempt to do the right things daily.

And for us we have proven that drinking is not the right thing.

Bless you brother,
Bob

It's been awhile I'm going to give you a call.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi John

I understand wanting to stay inside when we're feeling ashamed and hurting. Remember that people do get black eyes other ways than drink. So you can always play it off if you feel you need to get back to the gym a little earlier. I'm sure you have thought about this but falls, especially for those of us that are little longer in the tooth, can be a game changer. I have a friend, 58, who fell and now has a pretty crippling TBI. Just a reminder. That was a big one for me because falling and hurting myself was becoming more and more common.

I'm glad you're looking into volunteering. Churches also need people to help...just handy work and stuff. So if there isn't a lot of the 'usuals' where you live there is always a church!

I don't remember what your issue with AA is but if nothing else it is a good place not to be alone. Just a meeting to listen and be around others. I mean, how bad can that be?

Hang in there. I'm glad you are trying again.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So far so good today. Plan on staying home for the next few days. Don't trust myself to go anywhere. No matter how I look, I plan on getting back in the gym by Wednesday. Hope all is well with everybody. John