Notices

51 Days Sober Today

Old 06-01-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

51 Days Sober Today

Been lurking here lately ... But wanted to chime in on my progress.

Today is day 51 .. I'm coming up on 2 months which has been the longest I've ever been sober.

What has happened in the past... I'd hit 60ish days and for some reason get complacent... Then figure I was cured and try to drink moderately.

I've learned time after time.. Modeation is not possible for me and doesn't work for me. I know this for a fact. I've learned and pray that I won't be tempted to try again.

Recently, I had a week long business trip. The out of town conference at a wonderful hotel in a huge city .. there was a social event that revolved around drinking every evening. Open bar, away from home, business colleuges... it was the perfect storm and I could have easily drank. But I didn't!

This I believe is an important difference this time around.

My plan is to continue to review the positives in my life...
Also play the tape forward to review the misery and aweful feelings and thoughts I have when I drank.

My body and mind are so clear and clean.

Whew...Thanks for listening,
Old 06-01-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's an excellent milestone. Well done for refusing alcohol at social events. I don't think I'm ready for that, but thats brilliant news either way.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done hang onto that feeling of pride! You deserve it it’s a relief for me to know that such things are even possible well done I’m being so strong and thanks for reminding me it can be done !
Old 06-01-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations MR. No turning back now. Time to find out all you can be with a clean and clear body and mind. Onward and upward!
Old 06-01-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job! Keep going!
Old 06-01-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats really great to hear MR - Congratulations!

I think I got to the point where I finally fundamentally accepted moderation was not a viable option for me. Things got a lot easier after that

D
Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Thanks all !

The realization of moderation NOT being an option IS liberating. I believe it is essential to true long lasting sobriety (for me at least).

I recently met with an older family member .. Who I see 1-2 times a year. This is someone I confided in 2 years ago about quitting.

I don't believe he thought, that I had a problem. But then again he only saw me 2 times a year. So how would he know?

Each time I visit .. he asked "so you still not drinking"... Each time I say YES .. Which is true. Each time I visit , I am sober and turned down drink if he asked.

But last week.. I was on my 6th week sober and over 2.5 years of trying to get sober.

I was Confident.

When he asked this time about my quitting. I finally said, I will never drink again, it is not even a remote possibility. Even if this was the last day of my life. I'm not gonna ruin it with drinking.

I don't think he will ask again!

I will continue to feel life.... Take good and bad days, crap days, sunny days, socked in the stomach days..... But I will not drink!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is amazing, really great sober time.
If things go to plan for me, I hope to be at your milestone in a few weeks too.
Thanks for sharing with us - posts like yours really encourage me in this bloody hard journey 😊
CC
Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats!I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. Had 51 days then blew it. Really wish I had done what you're doing and stuck with it.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Been lurking here lately ... But wanted to chime in on my progress.

Today is day 51 .. I'm coming up on 2 months which has been the longest I've ever been sober.

What has happened in the past... I'd hit 60ish days and for some reason get complacent... Then figure I was cured and try to drink moderately.

I've learned time after time.. Modeation is not possible for me and doesn't work for me. I know this for a fact. I've learned and pray that I won't be tempted to try again.

Recently, I had a week long business trip. The out of town conference at a wonderful hotel in a huge city .. there was a social event that revolved around drinking every evening. Open bar, away from home, business colleuges... it was the perfect storm and I could have easily drank. But I didn't!

This I believe is an important difference this time around.

My plan is to continue to review the positives in my life...
Also play the tape forward to review the misery and aweful feelings and thoughts I have when I drank.

My body and mind are so clear and clean.

Whew...Thanks for listening,
Great stuff!

We left the station on the same sober train. A new, better life.

Congrats, let's keep it moving.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 06-01-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep It up MR 👏👏
Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Thanks for the replies!

Today is 54 days sober and I am feeling good.

I have to say, Staying sober and choosing to not drink are the #1 priority in my life.

I do need to stay mindful of this... I think about it "all the time".... I'm not thinking about drinking. I am thinking about NOT drinking. There is a huge difference.

I am not sure if this is different than the other times I quit.

So my question... Do you think about NOT drinking all day long?
Old 06-04-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies!

Today is 54 days sober and I am feeling good.

I have to say, Staying sober and choosing to not drink are the #1 priority in my life.

I do need to stay mindful of this... I think about it "all the time".... I'm not thinking about drinking. I am thinking about NOT drinking. There is a huge difference.

I am not sure if this is different than the other times I quit.

So my question... Do you think about NOT drinking all day long?
I have seen the replies from the pros on this site - that these thoughts fade with time.

I can say, being almost on the exact same day as you, that I've found the same thing - that the drinking thoughts have become not-drinking thoughts, but that they are very regular still nonetheless. I don't mind them though, they kind of flit in and out of my awareness. They don't feel as taxing on me as my thoughts of wanting to drink/fearing never drinking again were in the beginning of sobriety.

I also can relate to the relief/freeing nature of being sure that I can never drink again. There are times I get the pangs for what other people have - but I can honestly equate those feelings to envying another person's trust fund or supermodel wife or professional sports career - and they pass just the same.

What else is working for you this time around?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Thanks LessGravity for the reply..

As for what's working for me this time around?

This time, I am believing that it's forever...

I no longer crave before or after a music session.
That's a huge one!

I am honest with my wife and she is more understanding (day to day) about the difficulties I am facing. She doesn't drink much or often. So this is good for us.

I am spending a period in morning.. Visualizing my sober day. I plan out my lunch and after work activities.

Oh and Sparkling Water........... I am really enjoying the different flavored waters. I have a fridge stocked with them... No sugar and No calories.. Plus it has the Fizz which seems to pep me up !

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I have seen the replies from the pros on this site - that these thoughts fade with time.

I can say, being almost on the exact same day as you, that I've found the same thing - that the drinking thoughts have become not-drinking thoughts, but that they are very regular still nonetheless. I don't mind them though, they kind of flit in and out of my awareness. They don't feel as taxing on me as my thoughts of wanting to drink/fearing never drinking again were in the beginning of sobriety.

I also can relate to the relief/freeing nature of being sure that I can never drink again. There are times I get the pangs for what other people have - but I can honestly equate those feelings to envying another person's trust fund or supermodel wife or professional sports career - and they pass just the same.

What else is working for you this time around?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats MR and welcome back. I crashed around the 60 day mark a few times also. This time I've managed to make it stick a bit longer and I'm coming up on 16 months next week.

I do still think about not drinking pretty much all day everyday but it's not as stressful for me anymore and it's actually getting a lot easier. Two months is a long time! I really don't want to suffer through those first two months ever again.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks LessGravity for the reply..

As for what's working for me this time around?

This time, I am believing that it's forever...

I no longer crave before or after a music session.
That's a huge one!

I am honest with my wife and she is more understanding (day to day) about the difficulties I am facing. She doesn't drink much or often. So this is good for us.

I am spending a period in morning.. Visualizing my sober day. I plan out my lunch and after work activities.

Oh and Sparkling Water........... I am really enjoying the different flavored waters. I have a fridge stocked with them... No sugar and No calories.. Plus it has the Fizz which seems to pep me up !
Believing it's forever - this is key to my final run with sobriety as well. Not sure when or how the switch got flipped, but flipped it got.

Fizzy water is the bomb. Do you have a Soda Stream?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
Congrats MR and welcome back. I crashed around the 60 day mark a few times also. This time I've managed to make it stick a bit longer and I'm coming up on 16 months next week.

I do still think about not drinking pretty much all day everyday but it's not as stressful for me anymore and it's actually getting a lot easier. Two months is a long time! I really don't want to suffer through those first two months ever again.
Thank you tekink!

In the words of Robert Hunter (and Jerry) back at you.

"Ain't no time to hate, barely time to wait,
Wo, oh, what I want to know, where does the time go?"