Notices

21 days in

Old 05-31-2018, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 days in

Hey everyone, I've just joined. This is my 21st day alcohol free.

I have been heavily dependent on alcohol for a number of years, thanks to a few utterly terrific books I have managed to find the courage to make a commitment to finally kicking it out of my life.

So far I feel terrific. I am in search of like-minded people though, which is how I ended up here.

I found this site as I've attended a few AA meetings, and after one last night, I googled "AA makes me want to drink"!!! and ended up here.

I tried AA about 5 or so years ago, I don't think it was the right time for me. Part of me remained unconvinced I had a problem. So I went mad for a few years more to be sure

So far the jury is out, as the first one was great (everyone was positive and lots of sharing about the spiritual aspect of AA) but last night I went to one that really made me feel terrible, I got a banging headache shortly after arriving, it was a huge meeting, 90% of attendees (including the chair) looked thoroughly pissed off, and all the talk was about how they keep relapsing and "coming back to the rooms".

They weren't overly friendly either, I think struggling too much with their own fight to have anything left for a newcomer - which I completely understand (the only female home group member that newcomers were invited to talk to, was in bits because she relapsed the day before, so I didn't feel able to bother her. Maybe I should have. I don't know).

I felt the atmosphere was really off, and I will avoid that meeting and keep trying others. Because, for the first time since I've stopped, I had the worst craving to drink part way through. Thankfully it left me when I left. It shook me up though, so I'm trying all avenues I can to try and get myself some accountability outside of myself.

Looking forward to getting a lot out of this site!
Old 05-31-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome zozbot

I dont have any experience of AA but it stands to reason that every meeting or every group will probably be a little different.

Maybe try a few on for size?

You'll find plenty of support here too - this is a great community.
I'm glad you found us

D
Old 05-31-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey welcome I’m new too and about the same time sober.

Be careful what you choose to put in your brain is my advice - looking up AA related info really upset me - all the negativity and the dry drunk stuff - I used it as a stick to beat myself for not being better.

Even my bf told me to stop looking it up - there are alternatives. Rn it’s not conducive to my well being or sobriety - there are other more positive sites to read up in sobriety - I find those more helpful good luck!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dee and hi Irish, thank you for the comments and your welcome!

I am just going to keep trying things and seeing what works. Last night shook me a bit but I figure, I'll be more 'ready' next time.

I do think AA is amazing as it is intended to be. You hit the nail on the head Irish, I absolutely refuse to be a "dry drunk" and hanging out with them will do me no favours. But I'm going to try some others