Notices

Weekender 31 May - 4 June 2018

Old 06-01-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Congrats on that Month, Irish.

AA meetings were great for getting out of my head. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you so much for the support blue it means a lot - i might even go tonight and tomorrow - depends how tired I am - I really really hope it goes well
Old 06-01-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Irish, a lot of us have been to a bunch of AA meetings. Do you have any questions about meetings or AA?
Old 06-01-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Irish, a lot of us have been to a bunch of AA meetings. Do you have any questions about meetings or AA?
I used to go to alanon when I was much younger so I have sort of an idea - I’ll be honest I first went at 13 on my own at night and there was a predator there - thankfully the women there kept an eye on me.

I’m just worried that because of where I live it’s going to be full of old men (sorry!) and that I’ll be the k lay woman and that it will be hella depressing.

I’ll try a few meetings but I’m worried I’ll be bummed out and that it will go on for hours and hours and I’ll be stuck there depressed!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Welcome, Irish, and congrats on your first month!
Old 06-01-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Well, there are predators everywhere - so definitely always have a Plan B.

IF there are only old men who are sober at the meeting, maybe just listen to what they say. I've never seen a meeting where I was the only woman.

I know you're in the boonies, but have you done a search for Women Only AA meetings? Maybe call your local AA phone number and ask about that. I liked womens' meetings much better - for a lot of reasons.

And no, they won't go on for hours, and you're free to leave at any time. I left a lot of meetings early for various reasons. It's kind of like church in its structure. You're not locked in! Most meetings here are one hour, or at the very most one and a half hours. Ten minutes of that is someone reading the introductory material out loud.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I remember when I first wanted to go to AA....I thought it would be filled with possibly older people....it wasn't.....there might even be a womens meeting in your town Irish....those can be really good.

Just saw that bim already said that...oops.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

No worries, Venus. Great minds and all that.

I found in my area that nighttime meetings (like around 7PM) had the younger people - and there are really fun and good meetings at 8 or 9PM on weekends, they were mostly the younger crowd.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I remember when I first wanted to go to AA....I thought it would be filled with possibly older people....it wasn't.....there might even be a womens meeting in your town Irish....those can be really good.

Just saw that bim already said that...oops.
Hey guys there’s no women o my meetings I asked when I rang AA - they said they only did “normal” meetings lol - I’ll def give it a go though and thanks guys xx
Old 06-01-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
You won't believe it.

I have another assignment about signing roses.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Oy.

This may or may not be useful.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/430...65577/?lp=true
Old 06-01-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Hi again!

Actually I do have a question, are there minimum and maximum numbers of people for meetings?

I remember when I lived in the city Alanon had a consistent number of 9-12 (max) per meeting - can it be more or less than this?

I don't want to be one of like 5 people in the room! Have decided to go to tomorrows 11.30 am meeting, I'm more of a morning person and tbh I usually fall asleep by 8.30 pm (when the eve meet is due to start) … >.<

Also I'm amazed there are daily meetings in a town of under 6,500 people!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

I've been to meetings with three people and meetings with 150. Any two people can call themselves a meeting - so if there's one other person, that's enough. You just have to go and see. Some meetings are Big Book focused, some are discussions, some are speaker meetings. They all have good stuff.

Just remember, you can leave at any time. Two minutes in - if you don't like it - just get up, say nothing and walk out. You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last.

In my area the daytime meetings had a good mix of male/female and all ages. Look for the similarities, not the differences.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

There is no minimum as far as I know.....but a Sat 11am meeting is a great time....lots of people would choose that meeting....also Friday nights are usually fuller meetings.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Blue and Cat

Your responses help! I'm relieved to hear that Sat mornings could potentially be a good time! Maybe if I'm lucky there will be another woman who can give me the skinny on the best times for meetings!

Thanks I needed some optimism and little reassurance and you guys have come through for me - im not dreading it as much now!

And Blue I promise to try to hear the similarities and not focus on the differences - promise x
Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

One more thing you can do....if you call the AA line, thay may have female member in your area who have volunteered to talk to newcomers on the phone and even pick them up for meetings....

EDIT: Just saw the post about the "normal meetings" call, so maybe they will have a guy to talk to you....not to worry really....AAs are a pretty decent bunch....anyone volunteering to talk to or pick up newcomers are good people in my opinion.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:47 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am done for today.

Now I can forget about this rosy nightmare till Monday.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
One more thing you can do....if you call the AA line, thay may have female member in your area who have volunteered to talk to newcomers on the phone and even pick them up for meetings....

EDIT: Just saw the post about the "normal meetings" call, so maybe they will have a guy to talk to you....not to worry really....AAs are a pretty decent bunch....anyone volunteering to talk to or pick up newcomers are good people in my opinion.
Hiya

Yeah it was a guy and he was a grumpy oul' shite! LOL
Maybe he was just having a bad day - I can definitely relate

Thankfully the place is just down the road from me, I know it as it has the blue AA sign emblazoned on the door - hard to miss!

My bf could meet me after if I organise to leave at a regular time - might not need it tomorrow but a def consideration if I go to evening meetings!

Fingers crossed for tomorrow and I'll let you guys know how it went, and thanks again
Old 06-01-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I can feel myself getting angry lol...I need to breath and calm down...!!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Ok weekenders, I am off to bed early as have to get up at 3am to get to the airport. Not sure I will be able to get online for the next week so wanted to say keep strong, be good, and look after each other. I know you can all get through this weekend sober and with a few more days to put under your belts!

Laters peeps xx
Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Oh honey.....sorry no one was around.

Angry? What's going on.....

This is going to be so good...I know it is. ♥♥