Notices

Weekender 31 May - 4 June 2018

Old 06-02-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Snufkin, congratulations are in order, you made the right decision. I have had terrible cravings all day but I know that if I drink I will end up in hospital. Tried urge surfing but I don't really understand yet how it works. Hopefully the cravings will go away soon. I have anxiety attacks because I am so afraid that I will start drinking again.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

If you stay safely at home for a while—and when it’s necessary to go to work or do errands, keep your eyes focused straight ahead (not swiveling around to focus on alcohol signs you may pass)—and make it so difficult for yourself to acquire liquor that you just won’t—you’ll be in a stronger position, and your anxiety should lessen.

There’s a secure feeling in knowing that you’re protecting yourself as intelligently as you can.

The sequestered time you have to spend at the beginning is just a drop in the bucket compared to the lifetime of freedom and self-respect you’ll have in your lifetime of sobriety.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

Saturday 6-2 calif

HOT HOT HOT outside

Have a super bad chest cold

Ordered an expensive bed frame online- hours putting together, got in bed and THEN realized, its not the bed I ordered at all. Fugly Not even remotely like the bed I ordered. See what being sober does to me.

How can I not notice it when I was pulling it out of the box ?? where was my head.

Spent two days disassembling, repackaging, hauling to UPS store.

all my friends laughed so hard. felt good to laugh for once
Old 06-02-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Seeking wisdom

There’s a secure feeling in knowing that you’re protecting yourself as intelligently as you can.

really like this quote Gilmer - I have never protected myself. Finally I am starting to.

thanks
Old 06-02-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

What a disaster, Whitejay!

Glad you could laugh!

I doubt that what would come out of my mouth would be joyful!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:53 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

BB-- I get the bike thing. I lost my license 5 years ago- when I had seizures going cold-t (NOT driving). Well last year in the recovery program I finished Feb this year- I saved and saved and bought a good bike- not made of recycled space probe metals, but also not a cheapie from Target (mass prod. dept store). I went the whole way- a super hard metal bike chain, a bag that is bomb proof,. Any way I rode it a lot- sometimes for hours...to get to places I had to be...not a bad effort for a guy in his 50's with significant burns injuries. Every moment was awful on it- it was like being a deer in a pack of wolves. The wolves were car/truck/bus- everything else drivers. Not a trip would go past where I would have fallen or crashed if I was not always looking. Also oil on the roads, pot holes, sticks..everything.
Any hows I rode it 3 hours one day, 2 the next- to get reassessed for a bill of health to get my car driver's license back...I passed. The next day I got my license- the hour after I bought a car. I have not been back on the bike since. There is a steepish hill, no traffic lights for about 2 minutes that leads right into the heart of the city..so always busy- where I could get up to, go faster than the cars....no safety airbags, no bumpers, no seat belt..just cloth and skin.

Snuff- so well done. I think for me =- the best way to avoid any sort of temptation, is to remove it as a possibility. So when shopping- I do not buy sweet things...as my addictive nature would want to eat all of them in one go.
Same with booze- do not be around it...and as for the temptation bit- the outcome was the same- you did not drink. I write this stuff down. There are strategies in the sticky's I think. Like having a plan B. Diversion is a good tactic- especially at night- such as meetings of coming to SR- and just reading, and sharing and learning.
WJ- I hope you get better soon. I was in an industrial sized hardware store- the sort that has a small school for teaching DIYers and a coffee shop etc. I went to buy bolts (coincedence) for a double-bed my ex finally gave over (she offered) with no bolts. Anyway- a young couple (early 20's) with the look of homemaking and very frazzled/tired were returning an expensive PART of a new indoor wood heater...the young guy explained in a dead tone voice that it was from interstate- and the wrong part. Weeks delay I would think. It is winter here now.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:58 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Just made garlic cheese bread.
Yum.
I like cheese and pizza lately.
Glad to be on here for another Sober weekend. It feels so good to feel good and not be poisoning ourselves.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
These ads are not obvious enough to trigger but I wanted you guys to see what we're up against in London. This is my underground rail station (called Old Street) and for the whole length of the elevator every single ad has been given over to a Spanish beer. Larger ones run along the passageways and platforms. The brewers have almost unlimited funds for this kind of thing.
Wow, the industry can afford to do that even without your contribution to the profit margin...
Old 06-02-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Those ads are enough to trigger I think Sao.....well, maybe not, but they upset me (the ads, not you for posting them....) Probably because I just hate that they do that...that's one thing that is different here from home....no huge billboards everywhere showing frothy beers...hmm.....maybe it's not legal here...sorry, I am very down....I have a serious medical issue that has flared up and I need help NOW and can't see my doctor (need a female doc I know) before Monday....I imagine she will let me come in urgently Monday am. It will be alright(ish) but I am going to have a difficult few days.....pain level is about an 8.

But I won't drink. Or eat any mice.

Welcome to all of the new people....I am usually cheerier than this.
Sorry your not feeling great, I sure hope you can get yourself looked at soon....
Old 06-02-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

Another beach day ahead of me. Yay!

I am having my usual morning mental battle: "'Should I go for a run?". My brain is working hard to throw some convincing rationalizations on me.

I am trying to remember that I am not supposed to feel like running, i am supposed to make it non-negotiable activity.

Besides there are some ridiculous issues with washing my clothes here, and I have to practice almost some guerrilla activity to get my clothes washed.

First round of coffee is done.

Time to get up.

See you)
Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Mr

Yesterday evening was the final of the french championship rugby. Castres beat Montpellier.
I dreamt I was a rugby player last night.
All bruised and tired this morning...

Welcome to the new participants. You will find a safe sober place here for an alcohol free weekend.

Joining you in spirit for a coffee MB.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Bon soir, the Vman and MB and STDragon. And really everyone! It’s 2303 now in Illinois. Lots of things accomplished today. ABF wants me to join him and his neighbors for a pizza party tomorrow night.

I’ll be watchful my Beast doesn’t play ventriloquism in his mouth��

I love the guy but getting anxious about being long term with active drinker. I mean there’s laughing in the Beast’s face and then there’s self defeating behavior.

Any words of wisdom?

Free
Old 06-02-2018, 10:00 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello Free2beMe.
Don't have any experience with abf/agf.
After 20+ years of alcoholism personally that would be a situation to avoid for me. Changed alot in so far as declining invitations and not putting myself in trigger or stressor situations. I still have some friends who are heavy drinkers. But I don't. When they come to my house now my wife buys beer and wine and my friends take whatever is leftover with them at the end of the night.
Feels weirdish but I don't want alcohol in my house.

Do what you have to do to stay sober and free.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread Whitejay

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Bon soir, the Vman and MB and STDragon. And really everyone! It’s 2303 now in Illinois. Lots of things accomplished today. ABF wants me to join him and his neighbors for a pizza party tomorrow night.

I’ll be watchful my Beast doesn’t play ventriloquism in his mouth��

I love the guy but getting anxious about being long term with active drinker. I mean there’s laughing in the Beast’s face and then there’s self defeating behavior.

Any words of wisdom?

Free
Hi Free - I think anything I put ahead of my recovery I risk losing anyway.

I couldn't have handled a neighbourhood pizza party this early, and I did miss out on a few parties.

Over a decade later I'm not wracked with regret over not going to those parties

I needed to put clear distance between who I had been and who I wanted to be.

As for your partner ...I cant tell you what to do

Some members here have made things work for their own recovery, even with a drinking partner.

I have no experience to share there, but I did have long standing mates who drank like I did.

The ones who supported my lifestyle change stayed in my life...the rest didn't.

If you feel your bf is not good for your recovery, you have some serious thinking to do.

D
Old 06-02-2018, 11:38 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Yes!

Just did my best run here so far - jogging+10 uphill sprints.

And now I can fully enjoy my coffee!

Then breakfast and off to the beach)

And there will be just 4 days to go.

F2B - I can't come up with words of wisdom right now. Just remember that it's important to protect your sobriety at all costs at the moment. There come times when it will grow strong enough to protect you.

Have a good one, weekenders.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:03 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Whitejay and Hopeful! Great to see you.

It's strange how things affect people in different ways. Shelfs full of alcohol never bother me but someone enjoying a drink on TV or a film often sets me off.

I live on my own so I have no advice on alcoholic partners i'm afraid.

Well done on your run MidnightBlue, I managed about 15 minutes.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Phew it's good to be back.... phone wouldn't let me on SR since page 4! Think it was Friday morning here...
Love and hugs to all xx
Old 06-03-2018, 12:14 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Morning, Sao.

15 minutes is good.

Watching people enjoying drinks on TV sometimes throws some slight nostalgia on me too - then I remind myself that they are selling me false reality.

But in early sobriety it was really tough.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:52 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Yesterday’s AA meeting had me in tears all day yesterday- dunno if it’s the right fit for me but I will try again

Thing is I’m so emotionally hungover today so taking the day off to play computer games lol - this is the first weekend, the day I’ve not worked since I quit drinking a month ago - and maybe that’s a good thing, I def need the rest - feel wrung out today, time for self care
Old 06-03-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good, veggy, decompressing day, Irish.

Maybe stay in your pajamas, too?