Notices

You know what sucks....

Old 05-31-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Lori- I forget where you live so google something like "Alcoholics Anonymous meetings [ your city]" with only a little searching around you should be able to find one of the larger clubhouses that pops up, info to the Central office (usually they have a 7=day a wk number you can call to talk, get help, even find someone to take you to a mtg).

When you see codes - OD is an open meeting, so anyone can join. CD means closed discussion so only AA members. W is Womens, and so on. You can learn what the other detailed codes mean later but a Newcomers mtg or such is a great place to start.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just Google AA in your country and there will be a meeting finder. Pop your postcode in and see what comes up. There will be a few that are possibilities and take it from there.

There's always the alcoholic inclination to overcomplicate it, but but really is as simple as that. Amazing really. There was I thinking it was a case of finding someone I the know and being introduced or something, and there were all these meetings going on everyday in my home city, people wandering in and out under our very noses, and people don't even realise. Makes me chuckle sometimes.

BB
Old 05-31-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Lori- I forget where you live so google something like "Alcoholics Anonymous meetings [ your city]" with only a little searching around you should be able to find one of the larger clubhouses that pops up, info to the Central office (usually they have a 7=day a wk number you can call to talk, get help, even find someone to take you to a mtg).

When you see codes - OD is an open meeting, so anyone can join. CD means closed discussion so only AA members. W is Womens, and so on. You can learn what the other detailed codes mean later but a Newcomers mtg or such is a great place to start.
Question... my biggest issue is my dad is involved in Lansing Area and I don't want to run into him? How will I know?
Old 05-31-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post

Yep to all August says, although no clubhouse in the UK. Or not in my area anyway. You posted while I was typing August) x
Old 05-31-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lorij13099 View Post
Question... my biggest issue is my dad is involved in Lansing Area and I don't want to run into him? How will I know?
If it's just that you don't want to intrude on his space, why not just talk to him about it? If it's more complicated than that, maybe still talk to him about it. Principles before personalies in AA.

BB
Old 05-31-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
If it's just that you don't want to intrude on his space, why not just talk to him about it? If it's more complicated than that, maybe still talk to him about it. Principles before personalies in AA.

BB
He doesn't know my story right now and I'm not there yet to let him in on it. Long story lol
Old 05-31-2018, 10:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lorij13099 View Post
He doesn't know my story right now and I'm not there yet to let him in on it. Long story lol
Well, no doubt you have your reasons, but considering your opening post on this thread was 'You know what sucks, being surrounded by people that have NO IDEA what I'm going through...' It strikes me that this might be worth reconsidering. Fear and pride are our enemy in this recovery malarky. They keep us lonely and isolated, which gives our old false-friend alcohol a big advantage that it really doesn't need. You have someone in your own family who WILL understand. And will also understand and respect the fact you re not ready for others to know yet. You don't even need to tell him everything, or even use the 'Alcoholic' word if you're not comfortable with it. He's been where you are now, and no matter how long ago that might have been, sure as eggs are eggs, he won't have forgotten those feelings.

BB
'