Notices

Hope has gone

Old 05-30-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Sweetpea, some UK experience here. GPs won't prescribe naltrexone or antabuse directly; they'll want you to go to the NHS drugs and alcohol service first (as you found out). The first call shouldn't take anything like an hour so maybe you can fit it in around work time. At my first meeting with the service I was offered naltrexone and/or antabuse. And it does seem you have to attend during office hours although I did a couple of sessions by phone also. My local service did not push AA at all; in fact my counsellor knew little about it and had never been to a meeting. In the end I didn't take the medication nor did I go to to AA. However, as others have said, it's worth trying anything/everything if it'll help. Good luck!!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweetpea74 View Post
thanks BB, I feel all those things too then I start thinking do I even want to give up?! Silly I know!
Well, it might help to notes down for yourself what the reasons are that brought you here, and to your GO, with the notion that alcohol is detrimental to your life.

Because in early sobriety we ALL get those moment when that AV (alcoholic voice) pipes up in our head and rationlises why a drink would be a very good idea. Having our sane, sober thoughts down in writing (here, or on a piece of paper in our purse or wherever) can be a useful tool, as it can be very hard to remember those things and make space for those sane thoughts it our head when the AV is active and clattering about. It can be very very convincing, and I found it very hard to recognise at first. I used to think, 'how am I supposed to know when it's my AV?' Well, the answer to that is, if it's telling you that a drink is a good idea, it's your AV. If it's telling you that you don't deserve to get sober and happy it's your AV. If it's telling you that you can't live without alcohol it's your AV. If it's telling you that alcohol makes your life better in some way it's your AV. Get the idea?

So, it's worth noting down all the ways alcohol has /does/will negatively affect your life. Your relationships, your finances, your friend ships, your family, your home, your career, your liberty (if you've ever stolen, defrauded or been at risk of getting done for drunk driving or drunk n disorderly pop it in there), your integrity, your peace of mind, your self-worth, your health...all those things and more can be included. I used to think, well I'm okay, I don't lose my partner, my job, or my licence. But the first 2 were very much affected by my drinking. And the loss of my integrity and self-worth was probably worse than losing a job anyway. That was what made life so hopeless after all.

Anyway. Hope you're okay today.

BB
Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CincyFin View Post
I really can't stress enough how much a 30 day inpatient program helped me. I went to Lumiere in West Chester, Ohio but they have a facility in Jupiter Florida and they will fly you to and from the facility as part of treatment. My insurance covered it, I just have to pay my deductible. It saved me
I’ve got an appointment with an alcohol support worker in 2 weeks time so hopefully she can help
Old 05-31-2018, 01:46 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

A counselor suggested naltrexone to me to help 'get through' this past Christmas season. My doctor gave me a 2 month supply but I never even finished the first month and quit taking it. No idea if it curbed the urge in my case but it's 7 months for me sober. The way the counselor put it, if I did drink during the hectic holiday season naltrexone would curb the urge to overdo it. Thing is though...I am an alcoholic and one drink and I'd be off to the races, naltrexone or not. So I quit taking it, I didn't like the way it made me feel anyways. Hard to explain, but I just felt kind of off my game, not really normal, not myself. I'm 7 months sober now, no AA, no naltrexone, no more counselor, just the realization that I'm much better off not drinking at all.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hooped View Post
A counselor suggested naltrexone to me to help 'get through' this past Christmas season. My doctor gave me a 2 month supply but I never even finished the first month and quit taking it. No idea if it curbed the urge in my case but it's 7 months for me sober. The way the counselor put it, if I did drink during the hectic holiday season naltrexone would curb the urge to overdo it. Thing is though...I am an alcoholic and one drink and I'd be off to the races, naltrexone or not. So I quit taking it, I didn't like the way it made me feel anyways. Hard to explain, but I just felt kind of off my game, not really normal, not myself. I'm 7 months sober now, no AA, no naltrexone, no more counselor, just the realization that I'm much better off not drinking at all.
you’ve done really well, I think if I could just get a few weeks drink free it’d help break the habit but I can’t even do that.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

There really is no magic pill. But certain meds help some people. They did not help me but if you google statistics they can be a valuable tool. Don't be discouraged, by all means some meds can take the edge off.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icewater1961 View Post
There really is no magic pill. But certain meds help some people. They did not help me but if you google statistics they can be a valuable tool. Don't be discouraged, by all means some meds can take the edge off.
Thank you. Can I ask what method helped you?
Old 05-31-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Sweetpea, some UK experience here. GPs won't prescribe naltrexone or antabuse directly; they'll want you to go to the NHS drugs and alcohol service first (as you found out). The first call shouldn't take anything like an hour so maybe you can fit it in around work time. At my first meeting with the service I was offered naltrexone and/or antabuse. And it does seem you have to attend during office hours although I did a couple of sessions by phone also. My local service did not push AA at all; in fact my counsellor knew little about it and had never been to a meeting. In the end I didn't take the medication nor did I go to to AA. However, as others have said, it's worth trying anything/everything if it'll help. Good luck!!
thanks so much for the info. My first meeting is with a nurse, so I presume she won’t be able to prescribe anything and i’ll have to come back and see a Dr. Did you have a blood test before they gave you anything?
Old 05-31-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Well, it might help to notes down for yourself what the reasons are that brought you here, and to your GO, with the notion that alcohol is detrimental to your life.

Because in early sobriety we ALL get those moment when that AV (alcoholic voice) pipes up in our head and rationlises why a drink would be a very good idea. Having our sane, sober thoughts down in writing (here, or on a piece of paper in our purse or wherever) can be a useful tool, as it can be very hard to remember those things and make space for those sane thoughts it our head when the AV is active and clattering about. It can be very very convincing, and I found it very hard to recognise at first. I used to think, 'how am I supposed to know when it's my AV?' Well, the answer to that is, if it's telling you that a drink is a good idea, it's your AV. If it's telling you that you don't deserve to get sober and happy it's your AV. If it's telling you that you can't live without alcohol it's your AV. If it's telling you that alcohol makes your life better in some way it's your AV. Get the idea?

So, it's worth noting down all the ways alcohol has /does/will negatively affect your life. Your relationships, your finances, your friend ships, your family, your home, your career, your liberty (if you've ever stolen, defrauded or been at risk of getting done for drunk driving or drunk n disorderly pop it in there), your integrity, your peace of mind, your self-worth, your health...all those things and more can be included. I used to think, well I'm okay, I don't lose my partner, my job, or my licence. But the first 2 were very much affected by my drinking. And the loss of my integrity and self-worth was probably worse than losing a job anyway. That was what made life so hopeless after all.

Anyway. Hope you're okay today.

BB
thanks BB. I’ve only just seen your message, it’s so helpful to see all these reasons listed in black and white.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

thanks BB. I’ve only just seen your message, it’s so helpful to see all these reasons listed in black and white.
Maybe try taking each as a heading and write a few bullet points under each that apply to you. Then whenever that AV gets active in your head, telling you that drinking a is a good idea, and wasn't such a problem, you can read your list through and be reminded that it actually is such a problem. There may be some that you acnt think of anything at this stage - I thought loss of liberty didn't, but like my sponsor said, there was an element of luck there, so it was more of a 'Not yet' than a 'not'. And if there was one thing I sensed at the end of my drinking, it was that my supposed luck was running out and my old secrets and behaviour was gonna be biting me on the arse soon. Like a house of cards on a wobble.. And I didn't actually lose my job or relationship with my partner, or my home - but once alcohol was removed, I got so see such an improvement in all those things that I wondered how I used to cope before. SometimesI look back in horrified awe at how horrible it all was for so long, and am so, so grateful to be sober today by the grace of God.

Anyway. How's things?

BB
Old 05-31-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is some great news here about your GPs response. I remember a while back hearing about the economics of being a gP in the UK. On avergae they have 7 minutes to diagnose and precribe. If they go any slower, they go out of business. There was no time for talk therapy, so the only option was to reach for the prescription pad, which sometimes can do more harm than good.

It is wonderful that they have found a way for you to spend some time talking about your problems with people trained in this field. In the long run this may turn out to be a real blessing.

There is no solution to alcoholism in a pill and it is good that has been acknowledged .

The other thing that struck me was the idea that treatment should be available to suit your schedule. Are there any terminal illnesses that have that option? When my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer, there was no hope of recovery, but if we followed a treatment plan we could get some extra time. Imagine how it would go if we said things like, those times are not convenient, we don't particularly like that type of chemo, we dont want to learn about flushing pick lines, we would rather try something easier etc.

I mean couldn't you draw the conclusion that we didn't really understand the seriousness of the situation. That we were somewhat deluded in thinking that we could negotiate better terms? Well, we weren't deluded. We kept every appointment, took all medicine, followed all procedures exactly as instructed and we got the extra time.

Funny how a person dying from alcoholism often thinks it is all negotiable. It isn't. It is very much do or die.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
There is some great news here about your GPs response. I remember a while back hearing about the economics of being a gP in the UK. On avergae they have 7 minutes to diagnose and precribe. If they go any slower, they go out of business. There was no time for talk therapy, so the only option was to reach for the prescription pad, which sometimes can do more harm than good.

It is wonderful that they have found a way for you to spend some time talking about your problems with people trained in this field. In the long run this may turn out to be a real blessing.

There is no solution to alcoholism in a pill and it is good that has been acknowledged .

The other thing that struck me was the idea that treatment should be available to suit your schedule. Are there any terminal illnesses that have that option? When my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer, there was no hope of recovery, but if we followed a treatment plan we could get some extra time. Imagine how it would go if we said things like, those times are not convenient, we don't particularly like that type of chemo, we dont want to learn about flushing pick lines, we would rather try something easier etc.

I mean couldn't you draw the conclusion that we didn't really understand the seriousness of the situation. That we were somewhat deluded in thinking that we could negotiate better terms? Well, we weren't deluded. We kept every appointment, took all medicine, followed all procedures exactly as instructed and we got the extra time.

Funny how a person dying from alcoholism often thinks it is all negotiable. It isn't. It is very much do or die.
It’s not a matter of inconvenience it’s a matter of impossibility. I have to work. If I don’t work I can’t pay my bills. Im visiting the alcohol support worker in 2 weeks and taking unpaid leave to do it, I’m not going to be able to do that every time. That’s just fact
Old 06-01-2018, 12:12 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Maybe try taking each as a heading and write a few bullet points under each that apply to you. Then whenever that AV gets active in your head, telling you that drinking a is a good idea, and wasn't such a problem, you can read your list through and be reminded that it actually is such a problem. There may be some that you acnt think of anything at this stage - I thought loss of liberty didn't, but like my sponsor said, there was an element of luck there, so it was more of a 'Not yet' than a 'not'. And if there was one thing I sensed at the end of my drinking, it was that my supposed luck was running out and my old secrets and behaviour was gonna be biting me on the arse soon. Like a house of cards on a wobble.. And I didn't actually lose my job or relationship with my partner, or my home - but once alcohol was removed, I got so see such an improvement in all those things that I wondered how I used to cope before. SometimesI look back in horrified awe at how horrible it all was for so long, and am so, so grateful to be sober today by the grace of God.

Anyway. How's things?

BB
Another good idea, thank you. Im ok thanks, still trying to decide whether to go to the AA meeting tomorrow. 😬
Old 06-01-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Another good idea, thank you. Im ok thanks, still trying to decide whether to go to the AA meeting tomorrow. 😬
Seems like a good idea to me. Weekends are hard sober at first. Dunno if you're anywhere near East of England but there'll be a young person's AA convention in Cambridge in the next month or so. Can't remember the date. Might be worth a day out. Good rail links and a beautiful city to visit . Let me know if you want the details.

Bb
Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Seems like a good idea to me. Weekends are hard sober at first. Dunno if you're anywhere near East of England but there'll be a young person's AA convention in Cambridge in the next month or so. Can't remember the date. Might be worth a day out. Good rail links and a beautiful city to visit . Let me know if you want the details.

Bb
It’s a little far for me but thanks anyway. I might phone the aa people today for a chat about the meetings in my area
Old 06-01-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

First of all, Sweetpea74, welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us here. This is a great resource full of awesome folks that really care.

Next, hope is not gone! The fact that you signed up here shows that hope is very much alive. Right now you don't know for sure that a prescription is what you really need. I can understand the appeal of finding a drug that will "do the work" but there are lots of ways to get sober. I've been totally clean and sober for over five and a half years now through a combination of AVRT (you can do a search for it) and this forum.

As long as you're on the green side of the lawn there's hope, Sweetpea! You can do this!
Old 06-01-2018, 02:31 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
First of all, Sweetpea74, welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us here. This is a great resource full of awesome folks that really care.

Next, hope is not gone! The fact that you signed up here shows that hope is very much alive. Right now you don't know for sure that a prescription is what you really need. I can understand the appeal of finding a drug that will "do the work" but there are lots of ways to get sober. I've been totally clean and sober for over five and a half years now through a combination of AVRT (you can do a search for it) and this forum.

As long as you're on the green side of the lawn there's hope, Sweetpea! You can do this!
Thank you. The Avrt sounds interesting, did you succeed as soon as you tried it or did it take more attempts?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

It’s a little far for me but thanks anyway. I might phone the aa people today for a chat about the meetings in my area
Good idea. Did you call them?

There is no need to call ahead, but I felt better going into my first meeting once I'd had personal contact with someone (I used the email response though). Kinda like I had permission or something. I dunno. Anyway. Whatever helps. There are usually volunteer manning the phones 24 hours.

BB
Old 06-01-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good idea. Did you call them?

There is no need to call ahead, but I felt better going into my first meeting once I'd had personal contact with someone (I used the email response though). Kinda like I had permission or something. I dunno. Anyway. Whatever helps. There are usually volunteer manning the phones 24 hours.

BB
I haven’t yet... I know what you mean though. I think if i tell them im coming then im more likely to go! There’s a meeting Sunday too so if I chicken out tomorrow I can try that one!
Old 06-01-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I haven’t yet... I know what you mean though. I think if i tell them im coming then im more likely to go! There’s a meeting Sunday too so if I chicken out tomorrow I can try that one!
Or... You could go to both.

Xx