Notices

Recent onset of high blood pressure-anyone else?

Old 06-02-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beautifully Broken

Question Recent onset of high blood pressure-anyone else?

I have always exercised but not past year, I’m thin, don’t smoke, early 40’s. My blood pressure has always been low but I’ve been drinking heavily for 6months now. It shot up to 154/104 this morning when I woke up after drinking 10 oz vodka last night.
I took Clonidine to bring it down.
My dad died of a heart attack at 55, all on his side had heart issues.
I was trying to taper but that’s not working.
I guess I’ll have to go cold turkey.
Not looking forward to it.

Has anyone else had high blood pressure from drinking?
Did it go back to normal? How long did it take?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My blood pressure always went up after drinking. After a few weeks sober, and returning to regular exercise, it has returned to normal. Drinking, especially bingeing, wreaks havoc on pretty much every system in your body.

Keep in mind high blood pressure during detox can be a sign of danger. Keep a close eye on it. It would certainly be prudent to consult a health care professional. Detox can be dangerous, please take it seriously.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Beautifully Broken

Thank you for your response. I will keep an eye on it. I have meds & I have Lorezepam to help with withdrawal and sleep.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jam - I'm in the same boat as Chase. It was off the scale high before Christmas but it's normal now I've quit drinking. Are you withdrawing with help from medical advisors Jam?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

High Blood Pressure is one of the tell tale signs of detox. Yes, it can certainly be other things, but it sounds like yours is a part of your heavy use. And given your family history I would say quitting is a really good idea.

So maybe its less the onset of high blood pressure and more the onset of withdrawal? Take care of yourself and see a dr if you get at all concerned. You won't regret quitting!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep used to wear a fitbit and my BP would always go up during and after drinking as well as disrupted sleep. Take care you can do this !
Old 06-02-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol for sure screws with your blood pressure. Once you're off it, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised to see it likely will be back to normal.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Last time I checked last week mine was 141/84. But I'm not sure if the monitor I used is faulty because it gave me different readings each time 1 was 117/76. Always freaks me out when it's on the high side.

Once you quit it should start to return. I've read many different claims on how long it takes but for some they noticed it return after 30-90 days. Some took over a year.

Alcohol screws with your system and it takes a while for you to heal, recover, and get healthy again. You will significantly lower your risk of heart problems by quitting alcohol
Old 06-02-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My blood pressure averaged 150-160 over100-120. Drank almost everyday heavy. Altace Brought it down to 130-140 / 85. Haven’t drank in 7 months bp is usaully115-120 /70. Still on the altace. Maybe get off it soon. Did change my diet also not drastically see a Doc.