Notices

Finding a rehab option....

Old 05-28-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding a rehab option....

Hey all...

I'm advising a family who is in need of help with a loved one. The challenge is trying to identify the 'right' option for a treatment facility for alcohol addiction (and probably cross-addiction with other substances).

What are some approaches and methods others have used successfully in helping a loved one find the 'right' program?

Experiences appreciated. I never used rehab. In this circumstance, AA isn't likely to be workable. The person will likely be offput by god-based programs, is young and seems very likely to need an inpatient setting with holistic approach and access to counseling / psychological support.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hi FreeOwl, I did a lot of research on the internet and checked reviews for various rehabs and ended up picking one in Thailand as there was nothing I could afford that offered the kind of treatment I need. I also wanted a more holistic approach.

The place I am going to in two weeks offers inpatient treatment for alcohol and substance abuse. You get 3 personal councelling sessions a week, a non-religious 12 step programme. Daily group therapy sessions, exercise for 3 hours every morning (HIIT, Yoga, Swimming etc), a personal trainer to learn Muy Thai boxing, Mindfulness classes, Meditation Classes, CBT Therapy, 3 massages a week, Weekly day out on a sunday which is chaperoned by the staff and a couple of other visits out and to places for sober living coaching. 3 organic meals a day. They also do medical detox for those that need it.

For me finding something that takes that holistic approach is where I feel I will engage more and learn more from.

Sadly I have to fly half way round the world for it but to get the right mix of treatment that is what I have to do.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Forgot to say that I talked to them over the phone too and asked lots of questions. My mum also talked to them separately. Another thing they offered was family counselling support to to help them when I returned home. You also got support and access to your counsellors after you had left the programme.

Just make a list of what you do and don't want and then ask the rehabs for a weekly example plan of what happens each day to help you match it up to your requirements.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
Forgot to say that I talked to them over the phone too and asked lots of questions. My mum also talked to them separately. Another thing they offered was family counselling support to to help them when I returned home. You also got support and access to your counsellors after you had left the programme.

Just make a list of what you do and don't want and then ask the rehabs for a weekly example plan of what happens each day to help you match it up to your requirements.
is that the place in Thailand that's about 6 grand?
Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Probably Dara Thailand, that's the most well known one.

Good reputation, and Thai people are some of the nicest and friendliest on the planet. World class treatment for a fraction of Western costs.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

It's a place called Hope, it's around $13,000 usd which is around £9,500 uk. Costing me all my savings but as someone said, using my life savings to save my life...that's what it is there for! I looked at Dara but there were hidden costs, on the intital view the costs were similar but when you started looking at the add on's and extra's it was more expensive. I like the ethos of the place I chose as it was set up by someone who used to be an addict themselves so it's not purely a business venture for them, they are really invested.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ardennes167 View Post
Probably Dara Thailand, that's the most well known one.

Good reputation, and Thai people are some of the nicest and friendliest on the planet. World class treatment for a fraction of Western costs.

5 or 6 grand is a fraction of western prices? Damn. How much are western prices?

Hmm the penny is starting to drop about the whole recovery movement /industry. Guess it keeps a lot of people employed and a lot of pockets lined. Probably no practical information insights into addiction cycle and stepping out of it, otherwise why would people do months of rehab only to use the moment they get out.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow Paul Garrigan works there?!

I remember watching his youtube videos years ago.

You'll be in good hands there, the place looks great.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's a place called Hope, it's around $13,000 usd which is around £9,500 uk. Costing me all my savings but as someone said, using my life savings to save my life...that's what it is there for! I looked at Dara but there were hidden costs, on the intital view the costs were similar but when you started looking at the add on's and extra's it was more expensive. I like the ethos of the place I chose as it was set up by someone who used to be an addict themselves so it's not purely a business venture for them, they are really invested.
9500 sterling! Mother of god. Is that what they said to you in order to sell it to you?? that you're using the money to save your life?? Damn I'm going to use the power of choice and change habits.

is it for one month?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
9500 sterling! Mother of god. Is that what they said to you in order to sell it to you?? that you're using the money to save your life?? Damn I'm going to use the power of choice and change habits.

is it for one month?
That is not what the rehab said to me lol. They were very professional and did not push or pressure you at all which was another thing I liked about them. You can also spend 2 weeks there before you decide if it is for you, if you decide it's not the place for you you loose a small deposit but can leave and don't have to pay anything else. Other rehabs I talked to were very business focussed and felt more about wanting the numbers, you were more a customer rather than a client. Others also wanted a 50% deposit and by stepping foot in the door you had to pay for the full month even if you didn't like it and wanted to leave. Many of them even if you paid for 60 days up front and decided it wasn't for you kept all the money. The 9k is for 60 days. No other expenses.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Barnabus, in the UK you will pay around 12k upwards a month. Rehabs are the preserve of the wealthy in this country, we do not have an insurance based healthcare system here. The NHS rehabs are at their limit as they are run on tax money and there just isn't enough money to support them and the demand. Also depending on where you live in the UK has a massive impact on what treatment you can get. We have a phrase in this country which is that healthcare is a "postcode lottery" (your version of a zip code). If you are in an affluent postcode your treatment will be better, if you don't it's a gamble on what you can get.

For anyone wanting to rehab in the UK research is key, do your homework, check out the staff on professional websites, talk to the rehab centre and get a feel for what their motives are, is it purely a business?
Old 06-01-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
Hmm the penny is starting to drop about the whole recovery movement /industry. Guess it keeps a lot of people employed and a lot of pockets lined. Probably no practical information insights into addiction cycle and stepping out of it.
I am quite offended by this comment. There are a lot of great rehabs out there and to suggest they have no practical information or insights is outragous and a very uneducated thing to say. It is also not very helpful for anyone reading this that feels they might need additional help and support to achieve a lifetime of sobriety.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have them call their insurance provider. Rehab is covered under all insurance, even down to basic medicaid.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to an awesome rehab in US, State of Virginia. My insurance only paid a part of it but it was nowhere near something such as $ 10 k that I had to pay. More like $ 2000 out of my pocket. And they had everything, detox, a rose garden, nurses, psychiatrists, counseling, awesome apartments with a roommate, coffee and laundry. Great food and they would take us to a pool and a gym. Strict rules to attend individual and group classes and meetings. If you were not complying you got kicked out. Alternative therapies such as non medical pain management, art therapy, guided meditation and such were freely available. As were church or spiritual services, that were never pressed upon anyone but they would take you to any such venue, if you asked for it, only you had to go with a peer. Many of the councelors and lecturers were former addicts that later got advanced degrees in medicine and psychiatry.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Not in the UK Forward12 but I don't know where FreeOwl's friend is based, so if in the US then apologies as you will know more than me
Old 06-01-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am quite offended by this comment. There are a lot of great rehabs out there and to suggest they have no practical information or insights is outragous and a very uneducated thing to say. It is also not very helpful for anyone reading this that feels they might need additional help and support to achieve a lifetime of sobriety.
Don't be offended. Go do the rehab and prove the comment wrong from your personal point of view by staying sober for the rest of your living days.

However, many do multiple expensive stints in rehab and keep repeating the same pattern. Why? Do they learn who addiction works: practical information.

I'll explain what I was thinking. So lately I've been contemplating the whys of the heavy cravings of my DOC. Almost bringing mindfulness to the process and to other's behavior. I realized something: these cravings and acting on them are chasing the first/best hit. When the cravings hit I'm thinking about a specific time. However, when going out and acting on the craving, the next time just never quite lives up to it. In fact, it's always a let down. Always. But it's the same process all over again. Let down. Disappointed. One last time, maybe I'll get it like that time. But no. And it's never going to happen. Never. I'll never get that imagined elusive hit/high. It's like chasing clouds and trying to catch them in your hands. It's like being on a ferris wheel. The ferris wheel of addiction. It goes round and round.

Yesterday I decided to get off it. There will be no one more last times. For what? To keep spinning on the pointless wheel chasing something that is dead or imagined. I mentally climbed off the ferris wheel of addiction (Cigs and drugs)

Now how did I come to that conclusion? I analyzed my behavior. I wrote about it here while probing into my behavior thinking someone may have been able to spot something in my behavior. Someone who had a similar experience.

But no. One or two got offended that I had the temerity to write about it. One asked why I was talking about the problem instead of the solution. But it was necessary for me to analyze what I was doing with an objective eye. And to bring mindfulness to my actions.

The result was seeing the ferris wheel of addiction. Let me tell you, I hate drugs (and cigarettes) and wished I never touched them. I could not explain why I kept going back out. Nobody was able to tell me anything about the addiction cycle. Nobody.

Friday is "day 1". But I'm done. I guarantee I will never touch drugs or cigs for the rest of my living days. For the first time I can see I have stepped off the wheel and am not just saying that I will never again as an idle promise:

Would you be offended if I told you that you had green hair? Probably not, because you know it's not true.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wink

Oh and I did say no practical information or insights on THE ADDICTION CYCLE

You have quoted me as saying that they have no practical information or insights period.

There's a difference.

Uneducated? Simply an opinion based on my own experience.

I'm not offended though.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

A lot of them do understand the addiction cycle and work with clients to develop a sober living plan. It's a sweeping generalisation to say that they don't. You may not be offended Barnabus, but your not about to spend your life savings and fly half way round the world to go into a rehab, I am and your comment was not helpful. Sobriety is not a joke, my feelings are not a joke. Sometimes I wish you would think before you post, I have tried to be supportive to you on other threads and it would be nice to be shown a little respect and sensitivty.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Folks, let's be sensitive to others feelings before we post. One thing I have learned over the years is, it's not necessary that we should be right every time or be the smartest one in the room. Being supportive (attitude) is much more important than being smart (altitude).
Old 06-01-2018, 01:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I appreciate the sharing of how some have chosen options.

If anyone else has useful insight about the original question that’s great.

In this situation the person has no insurance but does have family willling to help if / when they’re ready.

From what I’ve seen, $10-12k is not at all unusual uninsured and can even go well beyond that