Notices

Finding a rehab option....

Old 06-01-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have been to 3 rehabs. All of them had AA meetings but AA was not the focus of any of them. They all have trained paid councilors who use other methods in addition to AA. Rehabs are good about teaching the effects and more of the medical side then AA.

The important thing in my opinion is that the rehab has a good aftercare program. It's way to easy to feel good coming out of rehab and then find yourself alone and drinking again.......I said "you" but meant me and many like me.

Imagine being able to come here to SR for a month and then being done and not coming back. The knowledge gained at rehab is only a beginning. Continued love and support in our new life of sobriety is a big part of staying clean and sober.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I appreciate the sharing of how some have chosen options.

If anyone else has useful insight about the original question that’s great.

In this situation the person has no insurance but does have family willling to help if / when they’re ready.

From what I’ve seen, $10-12k is not at all unusual uninsured and can even go well beyond that
Are you in the US? Rehab is fully covered. If not, just pick up the phone and make a few calls to local outreach/addiction centers.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Are you in the US? Rehab is fully covered. If not, just pick up the phone and make a few calls to local outreach/addiction centers.
What we’ve discovered is;

‘Fully covered’ programs exist but not for people who don’t qualify and for those who do, waiting lists are long and the conditions / facilities are often.... ‘off putting’ for those who aren’t yet ‘lost it all and desperate’.

Rehabs with full service and integrated treatment for co-existing diagnosis addiction with mental health are available in many options - but are tens of thousands of dollars without insurance.

In the middle seems to be an assortment of possibilities that aren’t as well-equipped for dual diagnoses, are unavailable or not likely to be seen as ‘acceptable’.... which in itself is probably a solid sign this person isn’t ready.

Still, the family would like to at least have an option or two ready to present if their loved one finally begins to ask for help.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I guess it depends where you live. But money should be no objective to seeking help.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts.

Lets get back to the original topic guys.

What are some approaches and methods others have used successfully in helping a loved one find the 'right' program?
D
Old 06-01-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Evaluation Center - Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services

Many folks from around the country come here. Excellent facility, won't break the bank. There is some 12 step support, but no one is hit over the head with it. Superior evaluation diagnosis.

Best of luck
fly
Old 06-01-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Social workers and addiction doctors can be a great resource. I got a recommendation from my psychiatrist and a social worker helped get me a bed.

For me, I needed a place that wasn't fancy, but had a lot of intensive individual & group therapy and meetings. I actually hated it at first because it felt like one step above prison, but that's why I needed at the time - strip everything else away and concentrate on myself.

Only been to rehab once - sober for 5+ years. I think I just paid the deductible on my insurance (~$5k at the time).

If insurance is an issue, the Salvation Army has options too.