Notices

6 week sober but struggling.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 week sober but struggling.

Hello, I thought I'd introduce myself. I've been drinking since I was 18 and stopped at 40, was drinking a litre of vodka a day and got sober with a community detox. Its been 6 weeks without a drink now and I really struggle with wanting booze. Its like a homesick type feeling. I guess as I've drunk for so long it's become 'normal'. It took eight bouts of acute pancreatitis and I still didn't stop. My pancreas doesn't function properly now and I have to take enzymes with everything I eat. Luckily my liver is OK. I go to group every week, tried AA but couldn't get along with it (I'm a non-believer). So I'm doing OK, sobriety is paying off but it's a struggle sometimes. And Hello all!

Lisa
Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on six weeks sober! I would suggest that you practice gratitude every day. Gratitude made such a difference in my recovery. It can make you happier too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 05-27-2018, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Keep focusing on staying away from alcohol. It's not your friend and it will take you down a miserable road. You may be a non believer however you do believe in family or friends right? You need someone to talk with and receive support when those temptations flare up. Hang tough because being sober is a remarkably good thing! I love it!!
Old 05-27-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa
Welcome

When I quit I would get bored so easy. Start making some new habits. Find a hobby or start helping others. You will get used to not drinking.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 weeks. Hang in there. You drank for a long time (as did I) so its going to take some time for abstinence to become your normal. I imagine that amount of time is different for everyone....but I'm positive its longer than a few weeks.

My contentment in recovery is equal to my acceptance that I can never drink again. Any reservations about that fact eat away at my serenity.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Lisa; good to meet you!

Early times can be difficult but the long-term payoff of sobriety and recovery is well worth it!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lisa!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you here, Lisa. We understand & care.
6 wks. is wonderful. I hope posting here will help with the anxiety. You're never alone.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thankyou everyone for your advice. Luckily I do have a supportive family and friends. I think Frickaflip has it - the last couple of days I've been getting caught up on the 'just one' thing. It is true that I can never drink again because that will lead me back to the road of skulls. I think my recovery is contingent on accepting that fact, which I do, most of the time. I'm actually really thankful for the last six weeks. I think 'don't be an a******e' is a thought which has come to the fore lately. I didn't realise I was turning into one until I stopped drinking, and for that I am thankful.

Lisa
Old 05-27-2018, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Lisa

D
Old 05-29-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today ae303 ?